Star Trek: Discovery V3.0 (First Trailer Released)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Momma Troi is hilarious.

Was younger than Wesley when it originally aired, couldn't stand him then.

Rewatched TNG over the last year or so, somehow found new levels of disdain for him.

Picked back up on VOY after a couple weeks, the Borg kids don't bother me all that much. Watching the "Haunting of Deck 12" right now and their reactions to Neelix's story is cracking me up.

Vulcan would still be around. Romulus would be gone. That's why Nemo went back in time and created an alternative timeline.

I don't recall Romulus getting destroyed in Nemesis.

Momma Troi is hilarious.

Was younger than Wesley when it originally aired, couldn't stand him then.

Rewatched TNG over the last year or so, somehow found new levels of disdain for him.

Picked back up on VOY after a couple weeks, the Borg kids don't bother me all that much. Watching the "Haunting of Deck 12" right now and their reactions to Neelix's story is cracking me up.

Ugh... Voyager neutered the Borg so fucking badly.

Never could get into Star Trek. It's too squeaky clean with everyone running around in their brightly colored tights firing their cute little phasers.

I did somewhat enjoy Star Trek Generations and First Contact, though.

Ugh... Voyager neutered the Borg so fucking badly.

Had heard they ruin the Borg and do see it happening, which is unfortunate.

Never could get into Star Trek. It's too squeaky clean with everyone running around in their brightly colored tights firing their cute little phasers.

Generations felt like an episode from TV, with a bigger budget. The best part of the film for me is:

Data: "ooooooh SHIT"

I have very little faith in any new Star Trek incarnations.

Shit will be blowing up every episode. Eventually someone will be twerking.

The romulans are in a bad state post nemesis. The bad guy Picard clone killed the senate, the home planet exploded. It would be interesting to see them more desperate and willing to make more treaties to survive.
Yeh the books explore that. Romulans have split into 2 factions, one of which supports the federation, the other has formed a new power bloc along with several other powers, The Typhon pact. The "Typhon Pact" (β), after which the series is named, is an alliance of races formed in opposition to the Federation - specifically the Romulan Star Empire, the Breen Confederacy, the Tholian Assembly, the Gorn Hegemony, the Tzenkethi, and the Holy Order of the Kinshaya (β) - that is introduced in 2009'sA Singular Destiny, and forms part of an ongoing "metastory" involving the characters of the various 24th century novel series.

The Federation extended the khitomer accords to several other groups and forms their own alliance. Following the formation of the Typhon Pact, the Federation and Klingon Empire invited the Imperial Romulan State, Cardassian Union, Ferengi Alliance and Talarian Republic to join in an expansion of the Accords to establish a strong counter-alliance to the Pact. EmpressDonatra of the Imperial Romulan State and FerengiGrand NagusRom immediately accepted the invitation.

Its basically a giant galactic cold war, and has brought some new excitement and challenges to the post Nemesis time line. Cold be a cool element of a new series.

I don't recall Romulus getting destroyed in Nemesis.
It take place after the events in Nemesis in the prime timeline. Nero the bad guy from Star Trek 2009, is from the prime timeline, but goes back in time to destroy Vulcan, to punish Spock and Vulcan for allowing Romulous to be destroyed. Thus creating the current movie "Kelvin Timeline" AKA the JJverse. Its all spocks fault....

I have very little faith in any new Star Trek incarnations.

Shit will be blowing up every episode. Eventually someone will be twerking.
Bryan Fuller being announced as showrunner has given me some hope. He has put together a solid writing team, of old Star trek vets, experienced sci fi writers, and a nice mix of young and old writers

It take place after the events in Nemesis in the prime timeline. Nero the bad guy from Star Trek 2009, is from the prime timeline, but goes back in time to destroy Vulcan, to punish Spock and Vulcan for allowing Romulous to be destroyed. Thus creating the current movie "Kelvin Timeline" AKA the JJverse. Its all spocks fault....

Is that just going by the '09 film though? I would prefer if they just made a post-Nemesis series that completely ignored everything from the JJ-verse/films. Pretend like they never happened and set it X-amount of years after Nemesis in the prime universe.

Well in TNG 1 borg cube is able to take out a fleet of starships

in Voyager they are able to take borg cubes out with ease

And all subtlety, suspense, atmosphere, dread, etc is all completely gone. In VOY, the Borg are no longer the ultimate threat. They don't even come across as dangerous or threatening.

Watch DS9. It's still not as uber grimdark like BSG reboot. But it's a darker shade of trek.

Borg are being treated like cans in the VOY Season 6 finale & 7 premiere.

Treated like total scrubs. Damn.

I likd the Borg more without the Queen figurehead as well.

Bryan Fuller all up in this too. :eek:

Is that just going by the '09 film though? I would prefer if they just made a post-Nemesis series that completely ignored everything from the JJ-verse/films. Pretend like they never happened and set it X-amount of years after Nemesis in the prime universe.
I completely agree. I hope the TV series doesn't even acknowledge the movies. This is the first tv series since the paramount divorce. Paramount owns Star Trek movie rights, and is responsible for the new JJverse. CBS owns the TV series and merchandising rights, so they own the prime universe.

CBS has been waiting out the past 8 years for Bad Robots, deal to expire. They had rights to produce a new Star Trek TV series via the movie deal. It expires at the end of the year, which is why the new series premieres in January. Its all confusing....

CBS has been waiting out the past 8 years for Bad Robots, deal to expire. They had rights to produce a new Star Trek TV series via the movie deal. It expires at the end of the year, which is why the new series premieres in January. Its all confusing....

My understanding had been that CBS had the rights all along and the 2017 start date is only due to a waiting period after Beyond that was negotiated - no?

I find it hard to just ignore what happened in 2009. I mean we obviously can agree that a new timeline (the 'Kelvin' timeline) was created that is unique to the new movies and should and will not be recognized as Canon. However, what happened before the time travel thing clearly did happen in the Prime Universe...

My understanding had been that CBS had the rights all along and the 2017 start date is only due to a waiting period after Beyond that was negotiated - no?

I find it hard to just ignore what happened in 2009. I mean we obviously can agree that a new timeline (the 'Kelvin' timeline) was created that is unique to the new movies and should and will not be recognized as Canon. However, what happened before the time travel thing clearly did happen in the Prime Universe...
None of this has ever been publically announced or anything but basically what happened is; when Paramount was in talk to reboot Star Trek with JJ and Bad Robot, CBS is also involved due to owning the lucrative licensing(toy, comics, books, novelty items ect...) rights to Star Trek. Paramount owns Movie rights, but CBS owns the TV and licensing rights. So since nothing was happening with Star Trek at the time, CBS decided to offer Bad Robot a production deal to go along with the merchandising deal. That way if the reboot turned into a mega hit, and a new series based off the reboot, would be already in place. Basically Paramount was so desperate to get JJ abrams, that they offered him a crazy long term deal, that gave Bad Robot exclusive rights to Star Trek, and CBS went along with it. Built into the deal came with sequels that extended the time of the contract.

When the deal was getting worked in 2007-2008, there were no series in production, and very little going on for Star Trek, which did suffer some fan fatigue after nearly 20 years of continuous series and movies. Since 2007, Star Treks fortunes have changed. Netflix and video streaming have become a dominant factor in entertainment, and CBS's nearly 800 episode catalog of show became highly valuable. Star Treks various series are consistently in the top 10 of viewed content in streaming series. That, along with an increased popularity in fandom, and greatly affected Star Treks value.

CBS realized they were locked into a bad deal for a new series, and would have limited control with Bad Robot in charge of a new series. That along with the mixed reviews of the JJverse, CBS had to bide its time and wait for the Bad Robot deal to expire. There have been reports that Bad Robot actually presented several pitches for a new series, but CBS wanted out of the Bad Robot deal, so have been waiting for 2017, and been planning this behind the scenes. Beyond has been thrown together in less than a year, so it threw a wrench in the timeline. If it wasn't the 50th anniversary, I don't think Beyond would've been greenlit, and the Bad Robot deal would've expired earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back