Squat form check please

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Posting this because my lower back has been very tight for 1-2 hours after squatting. Hoping this doesn't fall under ask a doctor as it's not an injury, but some discomfort/stress on an area due to something with my squat

It's hard to say. Your squat looks alright. If you had the guy filming move further away it would be better. The plates are blocking half the view and the angle is terrible.

With that said one thing stands out. There's movement happening in your pelvis and it's not very stable. You wink at the bottom. It's not a terrible wink, but it's the instability. Look at your pelvis coming in and out of the whole. You go into a posterior tilt going in and move into an anterior one going out. You're also not squeezing your glutes at the top. That MIGHT be what is straining your lower back.

Either way I'd say it's pretty normal feeling tight and sore. If it starts to hurt you might want to reconsider a few things though.

If you want my advice, stretch your hip flexors before squatting, squeeze your glutes at the top during the rep and have that cue in mind before going down as well. Take a little of the weight off and slow the eccentric down just a tad more. Work in a few pause squats and squeeze your glutes when holding them. Maybe cut a tad of the depth off just for a few weeks or so, and go as far down as to not wink.

Make your walk out a little more deliberate and stable. Also, take a moment before your first rep to get tight, get your air, brace, and start the movement solidly. It's all about tightness, body positioning, and proper bracing.

As Sano said, you have a little bit of butt-wink, but it doesn't look terrible.

The bar is too high on your shoulder

You aren't pushing your knees out far enough

You aren't going to full depth

Other than that pretty good!

It looks pretty ok for me.

How is your warm up and your mobility routine? Maybe it has more to do with that.

Back