Sports drills that help with combat sports?

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So any sports drills that help with mma or boxing or muay thai? Obviously not all of them are the same. But either/or/all would help. I'm looking to get my stamina, my explosiveness(keep in mind of been trying to build explosiveness for a while and I've made some progress, I wouldn't say I'm as explosive as the average fighter. I know some people think, I'm conceded but I'm not), and just aerobic conditioning.

I'm trying to look into sports drills. I don't know how they will fit into my training regimen but I'll find a way. So anybody got any I should look into? Right now I switched my strength training into to circuit training and I mix plyometrics, with I don't know what to call these (basically I try to put in slam balls, and axe swings with resistance bands.) So what should I look into? Football drills? Track and field drills? Can't really think of any others though.

Sano has tried track and field and is recommending them. You can follow his training blog here.
I play soccer and it helps a lot. The footwork from soccer and the "road work" you do in game translatep pretty well to boxing.

Sano has tried track and field and is recommending them. You can follow his training blog here.
I play soccer and it helps a lot. The footwork from soccer and the "road work" you do in game translatep pretty well to boxing.

Ok, thank you. Does sano have a YouTube channel? Because I only seen the threads in the stand up forum.

Conditioning, and plyometric training for aerobic capacity, and explosiveness?

Invest in a quality jump rope.

Do as many drills with it as you can think of. The carryover into fighting is tremendous. It's a proven method; simple but effective. Good luck.

Hmm. I mean, you could do S&C working on various explosive drills in a vacuum to later incorperate into your punching. Slams, throws, plyos, weighted jumping, olympic lifting so on.

If you are asking for specific sports drills, for punching you'd want to look at the best rotational sports. Baseball, Discus, Shotput, Javelin, Golf. They are far ahead when it comes to rotational power mechanics.

They all have a very simular power position, but I find that shotput and discus are the most simular to punching.

When it comes to kicking and/or footwork, personally I think that Track Drills are great.

A skips, B skips, C skips and various other bounding drills.

Obviously the standard boxing drills are there for a reason. Skipping, running, agility drills, cones, footwork drills, speedball, heavy bag, slip bag so on. They are all extremely benefical.

Btw, you would probably do well with a basic strength program. My guess is your strength is relatively low. Increasing that might increase your power if it's a sticking point.

Last edited:
Skipping rope will be good for footwork/endurance.
Loaded carries will be good for grappling strength.

Performing standard wrestling warm ups like forward and backwards rolls, army/bear crawls and side step/bouncing on the spot into sprawls will also carry over well into general movement/scrambling.

might seem silly, but ping-pong to improve reaction time and hand-eye coordination? ok it is a little silly, but no impact and is fun

Back