Spinach smoothie causing diarrhea/stomach cramps.

CopperThrow**

White Belt
Reaction score
For the past week, I've been making a smoothie that I take at about 2 o clock in the afternoon. It contains:

Handful of spinach
Small handful of kale
Handful of cranberries
A few chunks of rhubarb
One scoop of whey protein
One scoop of Greens+
One scoop of VegeGreens

Suprisingly, it actually tastes quite good but the problem is that a few hours later I get some really tough stomach pains accompanied with diarrhea. The diarrhea comes out green and powdery sort of. Its like the green nutrients seem to be just passing right through me.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could anyone possibly give me some advice or maybe let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Could it be that I'm allergic to this combo? Or is it just truly an innapropriate mixture?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

hmmmmm

handfulls of spinach, kale, cranberries, and rhubarb in a cup. I wonder why

It's the kale I think.

I can eat a lot of raw spinach but when I eat raw kale my stomach can't handle it. Take out the kale and rhubarb and then see how it goes. If you're fine, add in the rhubarb. If you're fine add in the kale. If you start shitting that nasty stuff again then you'll know it is the kale.

dont quote me on this, but i believe rhubarb is poisonous if not cooked and in order to absorb the nutrients in spinach it must first be cooked.

It's the kale I think.

I can eat a lot of raw spinach but when I eat raw kale my stomach can't handle it.

man up puss!

lol j/k It's understandable. I can stomach it without issues but the taste makes me want to hurl. Kale just has that really, really, strong distinct taste. I went on a Kale binge for 3 weeks before I quit. No doubt Kale is extremely good for you, but that was enough of that.

man up puss!

lol j/k It's understandable. I can stomach it without issues but the taste makes me want to hurl. Kale just has that really, really, strong distinct taste. I went on a Kale binge for 3 weeks before I quit. No doubt Kale is extremely good for you, but that was enough of that.

My stomach is made of cast iron. After a trip to Vietnam last year where I had stomach flu/food poisoning, nothing has made it queasy. I'm under the impression that man was not meant to consume large amounts of raw kale.

dont quote me on this, but i believe rhubarb is poisonous if not cooked and in order to absorb the nutrients in spinach it must first be cooked.

Naw, that can't be true. People eat raw spinach all the time in spinach salads and what not. As for the rhubarb, I could be mistaken, but if it was poisonous to eat raw, wouldnt they have a warning label on my bag of frozen rhubarb chunks?

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll keep modifying the recipe and see what works for me, I suppose.

Take out a different ingredient a day. The day you don't shit your pants, post here and tell us what you took out..

Handful of spinach
Small handful of kale
Handful of cranberries
A few chunks of rhubarb
One scoop of Greens+
One scoop of VegeGreens

what the shit is this. a stomach full of 4 raw plants and like 50 dry plant powders? WHY????? this is not what nature intended!!!!!!!!!

this is like mixing protein powder with cream and then pouring it on your steak

It's the kale I think.

I can eat a lot of raw spinach but when I eat raw kale my stomach can't handle it. Take out the kale and rhubarb and then see how it goes. If you're fine, add in the rhubarb. If you're fine add in the kale. If you start shitting that nasty stuff again then you'll know it is the kale.

I'm the same

I tried eating nothing but raw kale, broccolli and tuna or something similar (poached chicken) for a while.

About 3-4 hours after I finished, toilet explosion everytime

what the shit is this. a stomach full of 4 raw plants and like 50 dry plant powders? WHY????? this is not what nature intended!!!!!!!!!

this is like mixing protein powder with cream and then pouring it on your steak

How is it not normal to drink about 10 servings of vegetables in the span of a couple of seconds. Sounds pretty legit to me.

My stomach is made of cast iron. After a trip to Vietnam last year where I had stomach flu/food poisoning, nothing has made it queasy. I'm under the impression that man was not meant to consume large amounts of raw kale.
lol Probably true.

Rhubarb leaves are poisonous apparently, but not the meat.

It's probably just a fiber explosion though.

I eat a ton of uncooked rhubard, picked fresh from the plant. (We have some)

The stalk is fine, it's the leaves that aren't too great.

Fresh rhubard FTW. You can just dip the tip in sugar, and keep doing so every time you take a bite. It helps balance out the tartness and is pretty damn good.

From an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for Oxalic acid, LD50 (LD50 is the Median Lethal Dose, which is the dose of a drug or chemical predicted to produce a lethal effect in 50 percent of the subjects to whom the dose is given) in rats is 375 mg/kg. So for a person about 145 pounds (65.7 kg) that's about 25 grams of pure oxalic acid required to cause death. Rhubarb leaves are probably around 0.5% oxalic acid, so that you would need to eat quite a large serving of leaves, like 5 kg (11 lbs), to get that 24 grams of oxalic acid. Note that it will only require a fraction of that to cause sickness.

wikipedia said:
Rhubarb, also known as the Turkish celery, is a group of plants that belong to the genus Rheum in the family Polygonaceae. They are perennial plants that grow from thick short rhizomes, and have large leaves that are somewhat triangular shaped with long fleshy petioles. The flowers are small, greenish-white to rose-red, and grouped in large compound leafy inflorescences. A number of varieties of rhubarb have been domesticated both as medicinal plants and for human consumption, most of which are recognised as Rheum x hybridum by the Royal Horticultural Society. While the leaves are toxic, the stalks are used in pies and other foods for their tart flavour.

Leaves ftw!

Well, heres my results.

Yesterday I cut out both the rhubarb and kale and I felt perfectly fine. I also noticed that the drink stayed together quite well and didnt froth up and separate like usual.

Today I added back in the rhubarb and again skipped the kale. Four hours later now and I feel great.

Obviously the culprit was the raw kale. Which kind of sucks because I know how nutritious it is. I guess I'll have to find another way to consume my kale.

Your science experiment is not complete. You have to try your drink with just the kale. Perhaps it's mixing the two. Perhaps the nausea is caused from something other then the drink.

Handful of spinach
Small handful of kale
Handful of cranberries
A few chunks of rhubarb
One scoop of Greens+
One scoop of VegeGreens

I get the shits just from looking at that shake.

Well, heres my results.

Yesterday I cut out both the rhubarb and kale and I felt perfectly fine. I also noticed that the drink stayed together quite well and didnt froth up and separate like usual.

Today I added back in the rhubarb and again skipped the kale. Four hours later now and I feel great.

Obviously the culprit was the raw kale. Which kind of sucks because I know how nutritious it is. I guess I'll have to find another way to consume my kale.

People complain about the taste of kale, but really it will absorb the flavor of whatever you cook it in.

"Aloe vera has well-documented effectiveness as a laxative - a potent stimulant laxative. But so do senna, cascara, and rhubarb and I don't see rhubarb juice flying off the shelves."

Got that from here : Fanatic Cook

Back