Spiderweb dominance?

Oleg Raktatov

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
hello Y’all

Did i dream this or a few years back, at the height of Ronda’s career, Eddie Bravo said he believed that grappling wise, « spider web » was the most dominant top position ??

Or maybe i misunderstood...

Anyone knows?

Anyone from 10th planet?

Thanks

I mean, it's a position where not are you on top, but you have two limbs actively isolated and they can't withdraw their elbows to their chest. So....pretty damn good.

Still think S Mount is better though.

I know in his first book that Eddie wrote that the spiderweb was the most dominant position for him in terms of where he felt closest to finishing things. He directly compared it to the back and said he preferred having the spiderweb over the back at that time. I believe that's where the EBI overtime positions came from.

There was a podcast in 2010/11 or so where Eddie laid out the idea for EBI but called it something else and most of the rules were the same. He mentioned possible overtime positions being the back, the spiderweb, the vice grip (3/4 nelson), the truck, the front headlock, and maybe one other position.

I guess eventually he settled on just the spiderweb and the back. Since then people have asked about including other positions for overtime but he says the most basic subs in jiu-jitsu are the RNC and the armbar and he has no plans to add any other positions for overtime.

I think if you use the spiderweb as a pin first then there's a strong case it could be the most dominant position for finishing. For control the back is still probably the best.

Matter of preference. I prefer S mount as well because you can hammerfist someone into Bolivian if you choose or finish with a mounted armbar. I like choices. I like Spiderweb but never got great at it. I suck at armbars unless they're mounted or from guard.

i never really liked it much you only have 1 arm controlling theres i prefer a 2 on 1 but making everything else tight and good technique

Back