Spider guard basics

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
New tutorial on entering and then doing some basic sweep options:

https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Spider-Guard-for-BJJ-a-Tutorial

"It's one of the types of open guard that has been around for the longest in sport BJJ, and although how the guard works is relatively well understood across a wide range of skill levels, not everyone has a systematic approach to this game. We're going to enter to spider guard and take a look at a couple of basic options depending on your partner's reaction, and adjust accordingly."

Serious question: is there any way to do this without wrecking your fingers?

Serious question: is there any way to do this without wrecking your fingers?

Lots of tape and be careful when they go for the grip break, stay one step ahead when they go for it and release before getting your fingers smashed. Also play other styles of guard.

Lots of tape and be careful when they go for the grip break, stay one step ahead when they go for it and release before getting your fingers smashed. Also play other styles of guard.
Pretty much this. I really like one sleeve and one lapel grip for spider guard, and this helps a ton (sleeve grips are where the injuries are more likely to happen). This way I have one hand "in the danger zone", so to speak, but not both.

My fingers used to be fucked up from deathgripping, The one who saved my fingers was purple with a real tricky guard. Every time I'd get in a good position to actually break his grips he would either release or preferably just change grips. It's real annoying when you are ready to hulk out lol. But copying him and trying to recognize when the battle is lost, and change the angle of attack have really saved my fingers from wear and tear.

Good advice on the fingers. What about tendonitis? I have it on the inner elbow of both arms. I quit playing spider for a while and it went away. Now I'm back to spider and so is the pain.

take time off of overgripping until the pain goes completely away, and make sure you stretch the shit out of your forearms and fingers. try not to lock your grips and overdo it, and make sure you're giving yourself rest once you feel pain.

i really overdid it this year climbing and i just got past dealing with tendonitis. i taped my forearms, eventually got one of those tennis elbow straps and put it on the underside of my elbow, and finally just stopped overgripping so damn hard.

apparently you can hulk your forearms so much that your tendons won't have time to catch up. i guess they need time to thicken and heal up? aint nobody got time for that.

but yeah, stretches and braces.

Go for pistol grip instead of c grip. To be honest, if your grip is hurting. Time to move on to another guard imo

I have seen people using tapes and then their wrist got injured.

A strong guard is being able to realise that you are about to get passed and and you can prevent it by anticipating but transition to another strong guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back