Sparring with 10 oz gloves in kickboxing

Dudko

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum this is my first post so I have a question. I joined kickboxing gym month ago and I love training and all. But at this gym they spar with 10 oz gloves (max I seen is 12 oz) but I know that at most gyms standard is 16 or 14 oz. I want to keep training but my concern is is it really that bad sparring in this size of gloves? In my city there are no other gyms there is only one more but I think that situation is same. I really don't know what to do because I want to train but don't want to risk health with kind of training. What would you do?

It's not very professional to have a gym letting 10oz gloves for sparring...
Anyway, if the sparring is always light, it's probably ok, even if some times, some strikes may be heavier, specially from beginners who cannot control power and emotions...
But if they have often hard sparring sessions, not only it's dangerous in the long term, but it also tells me that the coach is not very interested in his students safety in general... I wouldn't stay long there...

But that's just me... others may find it OK to have constantly wars in the gym...

Last edited:
I spar in my 10oz gloves all the time. They are Top Kings though and I generally go pretty light.

If you've ever owned Top Kings, they look and feel way puffier than their weight would indicate.

I'm guessing not everyone at your gym is using Top Kings though or have control over their power lol.

I often spar with 10 or 12 oz. But only with sparring partners i trust

We also always use 10 oz gloves during training, I once asked our coach if I should get higher oz and he said that, that will not be necessary. However I read using higher oz gloves for training or sparring or whatever is better, not only do they offer more safety but prepare your arms for heavier gloves which allows you to be faster when you are down to 10 oz during real matches.

Unless it's people you have known for a long time and trust them with your health, it's not safe.

Idc what anyone says, the difference in impact between 10 and 16 oz gloves is huge.
Im convinced the size of the gloves can be the difference between stunning someone with a hard ass punch and flash ko'ing them/dropping them

Sucks that's it's the only gym around you though.

Although I spar with 14 oz gloves but they are winnings. They are softer than all of my training partners 16 oz gloves. I want 16 oz winnings though

Last edited:
I don't know how hard sparring is there. But I don't have other options if I leave, maybe other gym if situation is better but I think it's same.

I don't know how hard sparring is there. But I don't have other options if I leave, maybe other gym if situation is better but I think it's same.

Are your training partners going light or trying to take your head off?

The 16oz glove will give you a larger margin of error, regarding doing real damage in certain situations but any size thrown with bad intention is going to cause damage, hit someone with 8 or 18oz on the button and it's night, night when thrown with ill intent.

So would you stay or leave if you don't have other gyms around?

fighting in 10oz gloves for the first time I realized how beneficial sparring in them would of been

Not so easy to hide behind them and it's so much easier to punch through your opponents guard.

I am training in Thailand at a small rural gym. They all spar in 8-10oz. The biggest gloves I could find in this small city were 12s. I use those. If nobody is using the other pair of 12s the gym has, he will spar with those.

Maybe since I'm the only foreigner and the newest at the gym, they take it light with me. But I've seen them have hard sessions in the 8s. They don't use handwraps either most of the time. Thailand.

I am training in Thailand at a small rural gym. They all spar in 8-10oz. The biggest gloves I could find in this small city were 12s. I use those. If nobody is using the other pair of 12s the gym has, he will spar with those.

Maybe since I'm the only foreigner and the newest at the gym, they take it light with me. But I've seen them have hard sessions in the 8s. They don't use handwraps either most of the time. Thailand.

Generally, Thai's go light, there is a reason why they can do 300+ fights over the course of their career........and gym wars do not pay bills

Not so easy to hide behind them and it's so much easier to punch through your opponents guard.
I was warming up with my coach on the mitts and between my hands taped up and the 10oz gloves I felt like I was bare fisted and really able to lay into the pads. Felt great until I realized on the other side of the building was a guy doing the exact same thing and feeling the same way and I had to fight him. Oof

I was warming up with my coach on the mitts and between my hands taped up and the 10oz gloves I felt like I was bare fisted and really able to lay into the pads. Felt great until I realized on the other side of the building was a guy doing the exact same thing and feeling the same way and I had to fight him. Oof

<45>Yeah, nothing better than an even playing field......... equality for everyone.

I'm not a fan, but it also depends on how big you are. 125 lb guys sparring in 10-12 oz gloves might not be so bad, 200 lb guys doing so is a recipe for disaster unless they're SUPER controlled. I think it's a good thing to do occasionally since you should have some idea what it feel like to fight in the smaller gloves (I was shocked at the difference in impact in my first fight between 16s and the 12s we fought in), but as an everyday thing I'm skeptical.

<45>Yeah, nothing better than an even playing field......... equality for everyone.
fuck that. 6 weeks of sprints and hard work put the field in my favor. Dude gassed in the 3rd and I damn near put him away.

fuck that. 6 weeks of sprints and hard work put the field in my favor. Dude gassed in the 3rd and I damn near put him away.

But the weight and gloves are the same.....right....hahaha

Unless it's people you have known for a long time and trust them with your health, it's not safe.

Idc what anyone says, the difference in impact between 10 and 16 oz gloves is huge.
Im convinced the size of the gloves can be the difference between stunning someone with a hard ass punch and flash ko'ing them/dropping them

Sucks that's it's the only gym around you though.

Although I spar with 14 oz gloves but they are winnings. They are softer than all of my training partners 16 oz gloves. I want 16 oz winnings though

Depends on the glove brand...my Top King 10s feel puffier and softer than my Windy 14s ever did.

Of course, I've never been hit with my 10s but I can't imagine them feeling like a bare fist from the times I've hit my own face with them before a sparring round lol.

Was thinking of letting someone spar me with my gloves on and then switching gloves the next round...germs and shit though haha.

Back