Souwer, Kraus, Masato and Buakaw's thoughts on K-1 rule change back in 2006

• Thread starter Deleted member 363827
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 363827

I just found a gem from the past. This is part of the series that included backstage interviews and fighters' preparation for K-1 MAX events.

The interview about the rule change starts at 3:57

It's pretty cool to see Buakaw coming back from what other legends thought would have been his demise.
But it is also pretty sad that he had not built up his punching skills beyond 2006 level until like a decade later.

Great find.

He must have found it very frustrating to not be able to use one of his best skillsets. I realize how important clinching in MT is. Although I also understand why they got rid of it. Buakaw doing what he did against guys like Takayuki was really something to watch, but clinching for the most part really doesnt interest alot of fight fans.

He showed them though. I found I only enjoyed his style that much more after. The man has really underated pugilistic ability.

The man has really underated pugilistic ability.

He's only underrated by Muay Thai elitists because he was never at the very top of the food chain in stadium Muay Thai. Reality is he's still a beast, a fantastic fighter to watch and he did really great in KB especially during the K-1 Max era.

He's only underrated by Muay Thai elitists because he was never at the very top of the food chain in stadium Muay Thai. Reality is he's still a beast, a fantastic fighter to watch and he did really great in KB especially during the K-1 Max era.

That's not what he's saying, he's talking about Buakaw's boxing game was under-rated. A lot of people thought him a kicker despite him really having some great punching ability.

Great find.

He must have found it very frustrating to not be able to use one of his best skillsets. I realize how important clinching in MT is. Although I also understand why they got rid of it. Buakaw doing what he did against guys like Takayuki was really something to watch, but clinching for the most part really doesnt interest alot of fight fans.

He showed them though. I found I only enjoyed his style that much more after. The man has really underated pugilistic ability.
the clinch is bullshit because it can so easily be nulified with trips, sweeps and throws. if they were to allow clinching to the extent that MT allows then it would only make sense to allow sanda fighters and shootboxers the ability to throw and attempt standing subs.

That's not what he's saying, he's talking about Buakaw's boxing game was under-rated. A lot of people thought him a kicker despite him really having some great punching ability.

Thanks for clarifying.

Buakaw did not have "good boxing" from a boxing point of view. But he had some pretty slick hands, good power, good counters, good timing etc. His hands were effective for sure.

the clinch is bullshit because it can so easily be nulified with trips, sweeps and throws. if they were to allow clinching to the extent that MT allows then it would only make sense to allow sanda fighters and shootboxers the ability to throw and attempt standing subs.
From a fundamental perspective I can see why someone would want a system to include more standing grappling. I used to want headbutts in KB for the same reason lol From watching a lot of shootboxing though I don't really like how there are always these throw attempts that just result in both fighters awkwardly falling to their knees or side, no points being scored, and then they slowly get up. It can really mess with the flow of a sport where rounds are only 3 minutes. I still like shootboxing because every now and then you get an epic suplex and it makes it worth it, but its definitely a different flow than KB or MT.

Back