Southpaw as right handed fighter

Dougall

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it easier to stand with their good hand forward, like fighting southpaw when you're right handed?
When kickboxing I keep transitioning back to this stance as i prefer to have a better jab hand and I like to have faster more accurate kicks with my lead leg. But my coach doesnt like me doing this because I'm right handed. Although I know Bruce Lee advocated having your dominant side forward.
I don't fight like this when its just boxing, only kickboxing mainly for the kicks, but it feels more comfortable.
My footwork may not be as good in this stance though, so which would be easier to develop;
Improving my punches and kicks on my left side and fighting orthodox
Or improving my footwork with my right side forward and fighting as a southpaw

And does fighting as a southpaw really give that much of an advantage?

Anderson silva is right handed but fight southpaw.

Same with jerome lebanner.

Bisping is left handed. But fight ortodoks

My left side has always been more accurate, focused, and stronger than my right side. When I flex my right, it feels all over the place like its gonna fly off, left on the other hand feels sturdy and firm. I couldn't overhand right to save my life, but my overhand left is vicious, I could even throw it as a lead and it'll still be heaps stronger and fluid than my right

That said, I am a right handed person, so I trained as orthodox for all my training right now. I've been playing with SP for maybe a couple of months now, and everything is wow. Combos are fluid, I can dig my middle kicks deeper, and blah. Here's the catch, my footwork is fucked, its completely new and I feel fucked moving, can't jab for shit there, and my right leg's not used to eating a beating like my left does.

So what I do is have attacks from SP and use them sparingly. I've also noticed going SP against another SP really disrupts everything, one of our A-class fighters (10+ fights) actually froze for a a bit wondering why I was in SP and for about a min I was on offense with him backing up confused.

Fighting SP will give you an advantage if the people you're facing are oblivious to it. If the gym is full of those freaks, then the element of surprise is gone. Go with what feels natural and better for you, but keep in mind you'd have to re-learn everything with this new stance. Get reconditioning on your right leg (you'll be eating strikes there). Worse case is people ending up being a 1 handed fighter with no power strike, just a harder jab. That's not good.

My left side has always been more accurate, focused, and stronger than my right side. When I flex my right, it feels all over the place like its gonna fly off, left on the other hand feels sturdy and firm. I couldn't overhand right to save my life, but my overhand left is vicious, I could even throw it as a lead and it'll still be heaps stronger and fluid than my right

That said, I am a right handed person, so I trained as orthodox for all my training right now. I've been playing with SP for maybe a couple of months now, and everything is wow. Combos are fluid, I can dig my middle kicks deeper, and blah. Here's the catch, my footwork is fucked, its completely new and I feel fucked moving, can't jab for shit there, and my right leg's not used to eating a beating like my left does.

So what I do is have attacks from SP and use them sparingly. I've also noticed going SP against another SP really disrupts everything, one of our A-class fighters (10+ fights) actually froze for a a bit wondering why I was in SP and for about a min I was on offense with him backing up confused.

Fighting SP will give you an advantage if the people you're facing are oblivious to it. If the gym is full of those freaks, then the element of surprise is gone. Go with what feels natural and better for you, but keep in mind you'd have to re-learn everything with this new stance. Get reconditioning on your right leg (you'll be eating strikes there). Worse case is people ending up being a 1 handed fighter with no power strike, just a harder jab. That's not good.

Very similar to how felt, everything feels more fluid. I can relax my shoulders better and my stance feels more natural. but its any sort of lateral footwork or movement that throws me off.
Never thought about how much damage my lead leg can take but I have had multiple knee dislocations on my left, maybe another advantage of southpaw ?
Don't think there's a massive difference between the power in my straight right or straight left so these wouldn't be determining factors

Last edited:
There are a decent number of fighters that fight with their lead hand forward. I think the most notably right now is Vasyl Lomachenko.

In total, it's just a matter of what you're comfortable with, and putting in the work on your nondominant side to bring it up to par as much as possible.

Is it common to be right handed but have a far superior left jab?

food for thought.. basketball players coming into the muay thai/kick-boxing world will almost ALWAYS go southie. triple point stance has been ingrained into my head from an early age haha

Very similar to how felt, everything feels more fluid. I can relax my shoulders better and my stance feels more natural. but its any sort of lateral footwork or movement that throws me off.
Never thought about how much damage my lead leg can take but I have had multiple knee dislocations on my left, maybe another advantage of southpaw ?
Don't think there's a massive difference between the power in my straight right or straight left so these wouldn't be determining factors
I didn't think it was an issue at first, but when I tried it and ate a solid one, it hurt, and I almost got swept since I wasn't used to it

Lateral movement is the same for me, its just because its new to you so it feels off, which is why its tough because you essentially have to re-learn everything again

its easier for almost every1 to go southpaw the experience advantage it gives you FAR outweighs any draw backs

Back