Sour Grapes on Netflix

What do you think of the secondary bourbon market right now. do you think that Pappy and BATC collections and other Limited release should command the high mark they are getting now a days. I mean wlw 12yr is normally a 30$ bottle and now I am hearing horror stories of it going for 100+ in NY at retail shops.

Dont know much about the bourbon market i'm pretty much just a scotch guy, but prices can very like crazy depending on location. Scotch is kinda in a bubble right now some bottles I bought a year or two ago have doubled in price or more its getting crazy but it seems to be slowing down.

EDIT: if you are worried about prices check big online retailers that ship, usually if their prices go up the stores will follow.

Dont know much about the bourbon market i'm pretty much just a scotch guy, but prices can very like crazy depending on location. Scotch is kinda in a bubble right now some bottles I bought a year or two ago have doubled in price or more its getting crazy but it seems to be slowing down.

EDIT: if you are worried about prices check big online retailers that ship, usually if their prices go up the stores will follow.

The bourbon market is kinda like the Japanese market right now. Japanese market blew up after the Jim Murray award.

Great suggestion. I literally just finished it and it was absolutely fascinating.

Great suggestion. I literally just finished it and it was absolutely fascinating.

Glad to hear you like it. Its really cool to see inside their world and see how some really had to much pride to believe they didnt get fool.

This is probly the best doc I seen and on netflix. Its about 1 guy who destoryed the High End Wine Auctions by buying up all the wine he could and causeing the market price to skyrocket and then turning around and selling Fake bottles at the sky rocket prices. Made millions doing for this over almost 10yrs and fooled all the elite of the elite wine drinkers and collectors. Someone of them like the guy so much that they still refuse to belive he did anything wrong. I think cause they dont want to believe they got hustled out the money. Someone bought 4million dollars of fake wine from him.

I highly recommend it. 9 out 10 easy.

Cool. I think the filmmakers did an interview on CBC radio like six months ago or so, because I'm familiar with this story. I'll have to check it out some time. Thanks.

Got excited at the thread title because i thought it meant this movie was now available on Netflix. I thought it was hilarious when it first came out, but haven't seen it since. I've always wanted to watch it again.

MV5BNTg4NDU5Njk2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjQ1MzE5._V1_UY268_CR7,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

@Cheese, thanks for the heads up again. I went ahead and watched this last night.

Pretty interesting doc. My brother is actually getting started in the wine industry right now, so it was interesting to get a glimpse of what he's getting himself into.

Not sure I agree with the 10 year sentence + restitution. Yes, he should have to serve some prison time, but 10 years is a pretty big chunk of a person's life. While it does not excuse his crimes, it's important to understand these events in context. He was ripping off the ultra-rich rather than stealing widows' and orphans' last pennies. The only real justification I can see for such a harsh sentence is as a deterrent for other people who might think about pulling a similar scam.

It's a shame we couldn't get actual courtroom footage and instead had to rely on the (very unflattering) artists' renderings. I think that's a law in New York though: No cameras in the courtroom.

But yeah, all in all I enjoyed it. 8/10 probably.

P.S. It was pretty hilarious when his "brother" (were they actual brothers? I was never clear on that) cited Scarface as his favorite Al Pacino movie.

Never seen it, but I just thought of a documentary I watched on Tetris competitions and how surprisingly interesting it was. Forgot the name but it was on netflix check it out.

What do you think of the secondary bourbon market right now. do you think that Pappy and BATC collections and other Limited release should command the high mark they are getting now a days. I mean wlw 12yr is normally a 30$ bottle and now I am hearing horror stories of it going for 100+ in NY at retail shops.

There was an episode of the Criminal podcast a little while back that covered the Pappy black market. You should check it out:

http://thisiscriminal.com/episode-40-pappy-4-1-2016/

It's short. Just over 20 minutes.

i was waiting for this to come out and was not disappointed

im amused this guy was able to fool the shit out of a bunch of rich wine aficionados (i cant stand most of them)

apparently the guy had a legit, high level palette according to all the people interviewed

and the fact that it took one of the most wealthy/powerful men in the entire world (with his own private team of investigators from FBI/CIA backgrounds) to bring this guy down certifies the dude as a top notch criminal mind

Bump for anyone that might have missed this great doc. I still cant believe he fooled them all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back