Sore chin and jaw after training

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like the title says, my chin and jaw are always sore after training grappling. Sometimes I can pinpoint it to specific moments like getting choked, but other times when I don't get choked it's still sore afterwards. After every single class. My neck is sore too but especially my jaw and chin right now.

Does anyone else get this from grappling?

Do you use a mouthguard?

Do you use a mouthguard?
Yes, usually, but I haven't the last few practices. It's a nice custom fitted one. I think I still get sore when I wear it but I'll make a point to wear it from now on and see if I'm less sore.

Maybe you are clinching your jaw the entire time you are training. You need to be cognizant of what you are doing. During your rolls try and relax your jaw a little bit more.

Maybe you are clinching your jaw the entire time you are training. You need to be cognizant of what you are doing. During your rolls try and relax your jaw a little bit more.
I think I'm calm but I will try to be aware of this. My adrenaline is always up after rolls so maybe I do this in the heat of the moment. I also get abrasions on my chin almost every class so maybe I'm tucking my head and digging in with my chin a lot. One time the skin there scabbed over and everything.

I didn't think I clenched my jaw while training until my dentist told me I was wearing the high spots off my molars.

Are you on your back a lot the time with your head bent forward? Do your opponents use a lot of head/neck control? and as above are you chomping down?

Are you on your back a lot the time with your head bent forward? Do your opponents use a lot of head/neck control? and as above are you chomping down?
Sometimes I'm on my back though I prefer to avoid it. Yes, they do use a lot of head control as do I, or I try to, so I guess that makes sense.

Esss grappling, esss normal.

Man I haven't been able to check my blind spot driving home from training for years

Are you using your chin to defend chokes?

Probably clenching on your mouthguard a lot and being very tense during movements. Depending on your experience level and time on the mat its probably a subconscious thing. But you're aware now so try to focus on relaxing under pressure to reduce muscle tension. Regardless though we're not baking cakes, something is always going to hurt after training!

Are you using your chin to defend chokes?
Yes, I thought you're supposed to tuck your chim to protect your neck but it's sore after every roll
It could be a tumor.

Probably clenching on your mouthguard a lot and being very tense during movements. Depending on your experience level and time on the mat its probably a subconscious thing. But you're aware now so try to focus on relaxing under pressure to reduce muscle tension. Regardless though we're not baking cakes, something is always going to hurt after training!
I'v been going for a few years but I'm pretty flakey. Maybe I'm tense. Thx

Last edited:
Yes, I thought you're supposed to tuck your chim to protect your neck but it's sore after every roll

I'v been going for a few years but I'm pretty flakey. Maybe I'm tense. Thx

My two cents, tap more.
If you are using your chin to defend chokes, maybe work out of one for practice. Tap quickly to the rest and spend the time working on staying out of that position begin with.

The other issue I have with my chin is I get these abrasions. I think it's from the gi like in a collar choke or something. It sucks because I want to train tonight but I don't want to keep tearing my skin up. Does anyone else get this from grappling?

20180320_184030.jpg

Dude, if you'e getting calluses on your chin you really need to work on some proper technical choke defense. Using your chin is only a limited stalling tactic. Anyone who gives a reduced number of fucks about your face will just choke straight through it.

Last edited:
I had a problem with mouthguard. But i Figured it out maybe after half year of training. It was messed up somehow so my jaw was "jumping over" every time I was in sparring and would close my teeth hard or something. When I changed it everything was ok.

Start chewing double bubble mixed w/ a little cement mortar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back