• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Television Sons of Anarchy revisited

William Munny

My Pronouns: Fuck/You
Banned
Reaction score
I know this show is a little old, and I'm sure I missed the dialogue and passionate opinions of it, but looking back, how did you guys like this show?

where does it rank amongst the top shows of all time?

would you rank it with the Holy Trinity? (Wire, BB, Sopranos)

It was good but had it issues with how some seasons were oddly ended because the writers were not sure if the show would be renewed for the next season. The ending was terrible but the episodes leading up to it were amazing.

I liked it for what it was but it was completely over the top. Nothing like the HA I knew back when it was on.

I love that damn show I'm in the minority though that shit was awesome.

First off...
Fuck this new shit.

Anyway. SOA started strong with, with no small help from the fans of the Shield, then went full dumbass.

Kurt Sutter was better with people to hold him in check...

Season 1-3. Excellent. 9/10. It was still grounded in reality and the characters felt like real people.

Even the start of season 4 is solid. Getting into business with the cartel, you really feel the stakes and gravity of what they're dealing with.

Somewhere around the middle of season 4 though, the show slowly starts to shift. Things get more over the top, the drama gets more like a bad soap opera, Gemma basically becomes a main character with the biggest plot armor you've ever seen cause she's married to the writer. The sons go from underdog blue collar mechanics who just happen to be in MC to being full criminal masterminds that outsmart everyone around them constantly.

I loved the show at the time but seasons 5-7 I wasn't as into it, hated every character and was only watching to see how things ended.

The season 4 opening of half of them getting out of prison is still one of my favorite TV scenes ever. Perfect way to kick off a new season and I still get excited watching it

I remember watching it for Rollins. Too much other better stuff out since, so wouldn’t revisit.

I know this show is a little old, and I'm sure I missed the dialogue and passionate opinions of it, but looking back, how did you guys like this show?

where does it rank amongst the top shows of all time?

would you rank it with the Holy Trinity? (Wire, BB, Sopranos)

The first 2 seasons are great.
The 3rd was meh.
The 4th was great again.
Then after that I forgot what seasons were good or trash, but the final season was absolute trash with a finale that was horrible as Dexter's.

Its the most inconsistent show I've ever watched all the way through. The highest of highs (due to it having the same producers as The Shield) and the lowest of lows... for whatever reason. I never bothered to look into which new producers where brought in after some must have left. Same with the writers.

Never bothered with the Mayans spin-off.

I like the general plot and I think it was pretty smart. I enjoyed the show until the last season.. I thought it was too violent for no reason.

The dialogues mostly sucked. It was pretty unrealistic. I love series like Soprano that look more natural.

Also having a main character that resembles me (of course he is less handsome, 6 inches shorter and less muscular and does not bench teh 275 for reps) was cool.

The show was about Clay and Jax so when that ended the show basically died but kept on limping along.

Up until then it was consistently good melodrama except the stuff in Ireland was a bit of a drag.

Last edited:
I like the general plot and I think it was pretty smart. I enjoyed the show until the last season.. I thought it was too violent for no reason.

The dialogues mostly sucked. It was pretty unrealistic. I love series like Soprano that look more natural.

Also having a main character that resembles me (of course he is less handsome, 6 inches shorter and less muscular and does not bench teh 275 for reps) was cool.
My hairstyle has been a cycle of slicked back season 5 Jax to letting it grow to medium length season 2 Jax and then cutting it to start all over for 10 years now lol

Big fan , maybe it's because I ride. Seasons 1 & 2 top notch. 3 was descent 4 had it ups and downs and it went downhill from there. I think the non stop powerless club always being crushed by people (Pope, CIA, August, Irish, the DA, The new Sheriff) made it harder to keep up then the first few seasons where they seemed more like a outlaw MC.

In today's crazy story lines and bs revivals imagine he lives with amenisa or something and feds use him for some biker outlaw gang in FL or something ... Everyone loved Jax it would be a cash cow.

I tried to watch the newer one I couldn't get into it.

Big fan , maybe it's because I ride. Seasons 1 & 2 top notch. 3 was descent 4 had it ups and downs and it went downhill from there. I think the non stop powerless club always being crushed by people (Pope, CIA, August, Irish, the DA, The new Sheriff) made it harder to keep up then the first few seasons where they seemed more like a outlaw MC.

In today's crazy story lines and bs revivals imagine he lives with amenisa or something and feds use him for some biker outlaw gang in FL or something ... Everyone loved Jax it would be a cash cow.

I tried to watch the newer one I couldn't get into it.
Nah, I hated Jax by the end. He became everything he hated and his character was just a soulless thug for the last 2 seasons. His total body count is something insane like 46. 2 of them are in the first 3 season and then 44 come in seasons 4-7 <Lmaoo>

And same, this show is the reason I'm still obsessed with the west coast outlaw style bikes. Dyna, T-bars, fairing, etc. Still my dream bike build.

First season was great and right up there with the best TV has to offer. Season 2 was not so great, but watchable. The rest is pure cringe, that feels like it was written by 10th graders.

First two seasons were good. Then it went off the rails when Kurt Sutter got full control (except for the great finale to S3 when they got revenge on the ATF bitch).

I liked the show up until the point where Opie, a full grown man and father decides to voluntarily abandon his kids and go to jail to play touch butt with the club

That's a NO for me dawg

Reactions: lsa
It was a cool idea (outlaw biker gang has their own brand of Justice and control in a small town. Anti-heroes, etc) that got ruined by the over the top, often hokey nature of the dialogue and plot points

Back