Something You Need to Know About the BJJ Gauntlet

Reprehensible, not the ones i've been to.

Mainly i just remember thinking "this is stupid. I am getting stupider right now" the entire time.
The whipping never bothered me much other than it's pointless. It doesn't hurt unless you get it in the ear either (or your nads). But meh, pointless.

Why? Don't you get choked in class? I said you can tap.

I'm not talking hit man style choke here. Fold the belt in half twice, go around neck and tighten just like collar choke.

Missing the big deal.

The symbolism is that your first tap or choke at new belt is done by your instructor.

That messed up especially the part when you says most people would go to sleep.

Couple of white belts whipping a higher belt is nothing compare to what you just described.

It's a cotton belt that doesn't leave any lasting harm.

It's not like the Marine Corps where they "pin" you. I really don't see that harm. People thinks it's stupid or whatever. Ive been through two of these and partake in a few. It's not that bad.

I've witnessed many and gone through 1, at blue belt.

I'm not in the inhumane camp, as other than a few bruises and one white belt who got me in the neck, I was unharmed.

I just find it stupid, and again, no white belt deserves to whip a purple or brown belt. The idea of a blackbelt gauntlet ( unless only performed by other blackbelts) bothers me as well- again mostly due to respect.

Of course, I have no problem with every higher belt planting me hard with throws ( happened at purple belt) - so maybe my bigger objection is who is doing the beating.

I think this plays into it a lot for me as well. I did one at blue at my home gym. I wasn't enthused, but it wasn't horrible. I know these folks and we beat each other up all the time. Going to the main school to have what's basically a bunch of strangers beat me is something I find very hard to get on board with.

That messed up especially the part when you says most people would go to sleep.

Couple of white belts whipping a higher belt is nothing compare to what you just described.
Please explain, because I'm just not seeing it. Your main instructor chokes you. You either tap, or he let's go when your legs buckle. One time only.

... ritualized choking is really quite out there. I'm sure it isn't harmful but don't be surprised if people find that weird.

@Holt, do you think there's any chance you remember black belt more than the others because it's a more significant event?

Anyhow, never been in one, hopefully never have to. Seems a bit stupid, but not much more than that... I generally dislike ceremony in almost any form, so there's that.

Regarding choking, I know some lineages had a tradition where when you bought a new gi you got choked out in it, put right to sleep - but nobody ever pressured anyone or looked down on them for opting out of it. It has had the kibosh put on it in most places now as far as I know.

Please explain, because I'm just not seeing it. Your main instructor chokes you. You either tap, or he let's go when your legs buckle. One time only.

The fact you ask is just plain scary.

Oh well whatever rocks your boat. Lol

For the record.
I tried to stop this tradition in my club.
I am over it.
I did 10 years of whipping in my past.
Boring.
But somehow, the new generation wants it

I would ask anyone who is commeting against the gauntlet, have you actually witnessed and been part of one in real life before and found it to be inhumane and morally reprehensible, or are you commenting on what you think the gauntlet would be like and you do not like that? Not that your opinion is invalid, but to me it makes a difference, as I thought the exact same way until I was actually part of one.
Gone through one for every belt (I'm brown at the moment) and participated in whipping others up to maybe blue.

Let's not exaggerate my objection, it's hardly a war crime, just a bit stupid and counterproductive.

FYI, you used to be taken into a back room and choked unconscious when you got your Judo BB at the Budokwai (very respected/oldest Judo club in UK).

FYI, you used to be taken into a back room and choked unconscious when you got your Judo BB at the Budokwai (very respected/oldest Judo club in UK).

kinda of creepy that there is a need to be taken to a private room to do this.......

no thx.

... ritualized choking is really quite out there. I'm sure it isn't harmful but don't be surprised if people find that weird.

@Holt, do you think there's any chance you remember black belt more than the others because it's a more significant event?

Anyhow, never been in one, hopefully never have to. Seems a bit stupid, but not much more than that. I generally dislike ceremony in almost any form, so there's that.
No, because there are much more significant moments in my life that I value more that I do not remember as well, simply because of the acute sensation of the gauntlet. Getting a black belt was not a very big deal for me, as I do not even really value the belt system. I was the first person in my entire family dating back to the 1600's to ever get a college degree or even graduate high school. When I got my masters, I was extremely proud of what I had accomplished. The details of the day, I barely remember. However, when I got my black belt and did the gauntlet, I remember much more.

Science has shown extreme trauma and pain can make an individual forget entire episodes of their life. It has also shown that mild acute pain can greatly increase an individuals ability to memorialize an event as well. I learned that for me, very acute sensational overload makes me remember things much more. Like I said earlier, I found the gauntlet early in my BJJ journey something archaic and pointless, but it did serve a very useful purpose at the end.

^
That is the only good argument for a gauntlet I have ever read.

It's also one I've never seen anyone else make.

I don't find the gauntlet particularly bothersome. Just pointless and stupid. What freaks me out more is the vehemence with which some people will defend it, and impugn the manhood of anyone who thinks otherwise.

Seems less painful than a meatgrinder.

Give me 1 minute of being whipped over getting rolled hard by the whole team....starting with the heaviest and ending with the lightest...

On second thought I'll keep the meatgrinder because I'm not a wuss.

I'm not a fan of it but it isn't a big deal. At my school the lower ranks don't get to hit anyone higher rank than them. So you won't have a white belt hit a blue.

No, because there are much more significant moments in my life that I value more that I do not remember as well, simply because of the acute sensation of the gauntlet. Getting a black belt was not a very big deal for me, as I do not even really value the belt system. I was the first person in my entire family dating back to the 1600's to ever get a college degree or even graduate high school. When I got my masters, I was extremely proud of what I had accomplished. The details of the day, I barely remember. However, when I got my black belt and did the gauntlet, I remember much more.

Science has shown extreme trauma and pain can make an individual forget entire episodes of their life. It has also shown that mild acute pain can greatly increase an individuals ability to memorialize an event as well. I learned that for me, very acute sensational overload makes me remember things much more. Like I said earlier, I found the gauntlet early in my BJJ journey something archaic and pointless, but it did serve a very useful purpose at the end.

Totally agree with this. It is like X happened and anything to burn that moment in your mind is pretty awesome. Pain is temporary.

I think you should be able to opt out, but goddamn a lot of you are pussies. It's temporary pain, and it's not even that bad. I've seen girls and IT nerds go through the gauntlet with a smile on their face. I personally like it from the perspective that it teaches you that pain isn't the end of the world, and sometimes it must be endured to achieve goals. Damn, if you find pain that scary, maybe combat sports aren't right for you.

I don't like it but you're still a pussy for saying so. See this is why freedom is bullshit.

The people who need the whipping most get to opt out of it with a snarky limp wristed attitude and nobody is there to give them a mandatory slap across the face.

That's why you're here to become a man because you were raised by your mama. Why were you raised by your mama? Because her father let her do what she wanted, when does this sorry cycle of failure end? It ends here. SMACK!

I think it should be like a gang initiation, get rid of all these candy asses or finally put some hair on their chest. lol

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back