Something odd about Ultimate Fighter(s)...

With all the idiotic back and forth about Dillashaw betraying Team Alpha Male, this has been a hard season to watch and maintain the respect I usually have for these guys as professional athletes.

In the latest episode, I was watching the trash talk between Ramsey Nijem and Gilbert Smith, and something struck me as very odd. What is with these guys trying to alpha male each other and back and back one another down verbally when they are all trained professional fighters? If any of them were actually scared to get in a fight, they would've chosen another fucking profession.

Even more bizarre, most of the time, these guys are standing in a fight gym. When things get heated, two guys will get in each other's face and say, "I'll kick your ass / no, I'll kick YOUR ass" for 5 minutes, but nobody ever thinks to say, "Let's put some gloves on, step into the cage right over there and settle this." Why is that?

It's like watching two sprinters argue about who is faster instead of just taking 30 second to race.
A lot more guys should be like Dennis Hallman...we could see if somebody is actually a tough guy or just like Edmond

With all the idiotic back and forth about Dillashaw betraying Team Alpha Male, this has been a hard season to watch and maintain the respect I usually have for these guys as professional athletes.

In the latest episode, I was watching the trash talk between Ramsey Nijem and Gilbert Smith, and something struck me as very odd. What is with these guys trying to alpha male each other and back and back one another down verbally when they are all trained professional fighters? If any of them were actually scared to get in a fight, they would've chosen another fucking profession.

Even more bizarre, most of the time, these guys are standing in a fight gym. When things get heated, two guys will get in each other's face and say, "I'll kick your ass / no, I'll kick YOUR ass" for 5 minutes, but nobody ever thinks to say, "Let's put some gloves on, step into the cage right over there and settle this." Why is that?

It's like watching two sprinters argue about who is faster instead of just taking 30 second to race.
Its called being a fucking meathead.

A lot more guys should be like Dennis Hallman...we could see if somebody is actually a tough guy or just like Edmond

Yes, I mentioned Hallman in another thread as the possible exception. I seem to remember him being really calm and rational about it too. It's weird that more guys don't do it.

You place people in front of a camera and the weirdest thing happens... people lose their composure, act crazy and talk louder than they would without the cameras

Back