Social Distortion/Mike Ness

What is your favorite Social Distortion studio album?

• Mommy's Little Monster (1983)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Prison Bound (1988)

• Social Distortion (1990)

• Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell (1992)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996)

• Sex, Love, and Rock 'n' Roll (2004)

• Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes (2011)

• Total voters
That's exactly how i would find out about new bands (to me) when i was a kid in the 80's when i got into punk and hardcore. Would read Thrasher, see some bands mentioned, and then take a chance on them. Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, etc. Thrasher introduced me to some great bands and skating.

The crazy (funny?) thing is that now so much of that music seems pretty tame or regular to me. Ahead of the curve hahahaha. Really though, Thrasher was awesome and those were great times...

Ball and chain is probably the most iconic. I was wrong is another good one that was later/newer. Mommys little monster is a cool song, more towards the earlier punk side. Story of my life is great too.

He did a cover of don't think twice on a solo album that I really like

Last edited:
SD was profiled, or an album was name dropped?, in an issue of Thrasher or Transworld when I was a kid. It's also how I discovered Sonic Youth and Stiff Little Fingers. Getting a little buzzed and having many a great skate session listening to Prison Bound - good times for sure. I haven't listened in ages but recall the last half of the album really moved. Want what I Want, On My Nerves (with some great line about shitty songs being played on the radio too much), Like an Outlaw, Lost Child. Not sure how it's standing the test of time - probably just sounds like good old rock now. Ness is a character for sure.
That's exactly how i would find out about new bands (to me) when i was a kid in the 80's when i got into punk and hardcore. Would read Thrasher, see some bands mentioned, and then take a chance on them. Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, etc. Thrasher introduced me to some great bands and skating.

The first time I discovered Social Distortion was on MTV in the 90's. But, most of the "underground" punk and hardcore bands I got into in high school I found either through word of mouth or a "Zine" that Victory Records put out in the 90's (which pretty much had albums from every hardcore, punk, and Oi! band putting out music at that time).

The first time I discovered Social Distortion was on MTV in the 90's. But, most of the "underground" punk and hardcore bands I got into in high school I found either through word of mouth or a "Zine" that Victory Records put out in the 90's (which pretty much had albums from every hardcore, punk, and Oi! band putting out music at that time).
Victory Records is a name I haven't heard in a long time. There were tons of zines back then, a lot black and white. Once i made friends who listened to the same music it was easier as at least i didn't have to spend money on records blindly and could listen to some of them first. I was really into Revelation Records then, too.

Victory Records is a name I haven't heard in a long time. There were tons of zines back then, a lot black and white. Once i made friends who listened to the same music it was easier as at least i didn't have to spend money on records blindly and could listen to some of them first. I was really into Revelation Records then, too.

Yeah, I use to have the Judge "Bringing It Down" CD, which was released by Revelation. Revelation released albums from a ton of great Hardcore bands from back in the day. I hardly even recognize most of the stuff people try to pass of as Hardcore today as even being Hardcore. The variety back in the 80's and 90's was so much better.

Victory Records is still alive and well today though. The owner of Victory Records, Tony Brummel (aka, Tony Victory), has given himself a reputation of ripping off bands signed to his label. No one likes him. When I was in college, my AOL instant messenger screen name was "TonyVictory." One time some random dude messaged me there saying, "Hi. Is this Tony Brummel from Victory Records?" I decided to play along. I responded, "Yeah, how did you piece that together, genius?" He gave me an "LOL" (or whatever the equivalent was back in those days). I said, "What do you want?" Long story short, he was a guy claiming to be the "manager" of his friends' band and wanted to know if he could submit some tapes directly to me to see if his friends' band was Victory Records "material." I told him that if the band wanted to be considered by Victory, they had to send me nude pics of their moms and girlfriends. He was like, "What?". I was like, "Yeah, it's kind of a tradition here." He was like, "Well, I am pretty sure we can do girlfriends, but I am not so sure about moms." I was like, "No pics, no record deal, and I will verify you sent real pics later." He was like, "I'll see what I can do. Where should I send a demo tape?" I was like, "A demo tape is not necessary. Get the pics and you're in."

Eventually, I came clean with the guy that I was not really Tony Victory. I must have done a pretty good job though, because it took some convincing for him to believe I wasn't really Tony.

Yeah, I use to have the Judge "Bringing It Down" CD, which was released by Revelation. Revelation released albums from a ton of great Hardcore bands from back in the day. I hardly even recognize most of the stuff people try to pass of as Hardcore today as even being Hardcore. The variety back in the 80's and 90's was so much better.

Victory Records is still alive and well today though. The owner of Victory Records, Tony Brummel (aka, Tony Victory), has given himself a reputation of ripping off bands signed to his label. No one likes him. When I was in college, my AOL instant messenger screen name was "TonyVictory." One time some random dude messaged me there saying, "Hi. Is this Tony Brummel from Victory Records?" I decided to play along. I responded, "Yeah, how did you piece that together, genius?" He gave me an "LOL" (or whatever the equivalent was back in those days). I said, "What do you want?" Long story short, he was a guy claiming to be the "manager" of his friends' band and wanted to know if he could submit some tapes directly to me to see if his friends' band was Victory Records "material." I told him that if the band wanted to be considered by Victory, they had to send me nude pics of their moms and girlfriends. He was like, "What?". I was like, "Yeah, it's kind of a tradition here." He was like, "Well, I am pretty sure we can do girlfriends, but I am not so sure about moms." I was like, "No pics, no record deal, and I will verify you sent real pics later." He was like, "I'll see what I can do. Where should I send a demo tape?" I was like, "A demo tape is not necessary. Get the pics and you're in."

Eventually, I came clean with the guy that I was not really Tony Victory. I must have done a pretty good job though, because it took some convincing for him to believe I wasn't really Tony.
I had no idea about the Victory Records thing. I'm so far out of the loop at this point. That's a good story, though. So close on the nudes.

Agree with the older hardcore being better. At one point it started turning into scream core and i was getting older and just grew away from it. I'll pull out some old albums once in awhile for nostalgia's sake. Some hold up, a lot don't. Funny you mention Judge as out of all the old bands that did/are doing reunion gigs, they are the one i went to see and they were awesome. Saw them about two years ago and they killed it. Was supposed to see them back in their original run when i was a kid but they broke up before i could. Good thread, you made me think of a lot of old stuff i hadn't thought of in awhile that i have fond memories of.

I love Social D and Mike Ness' solo stuff. He just blended the perfect mix of country/punk/blues/rock. They are just one of those bands that stand alone with a unique sound.

Social Distortion is doing a tour this spring

Gonna grab some tickets

Prison Bound is an outstanding album. I think Lost Child is probably one of their most underrated songs.

There are too many to pick but white light white trash in my opinion is still to this day the greatest album ever made and probably forever will be

Back