Soccer players are better fighters than "football players"

Yeah, outside the U.S. you'll find a lot more soccer/futbal players than American football players. The fact a tiny number of them became famous MMA stars means nothing. And tons of U.S. fighters, including Cain, Cormier, Matt Hughes and Jon Jones, played American football in high school along with wrestling. All of them were UFC champs. I'm sure there are many more.

BTW, I like soccer, having played and coached it, but enjoy watching American football more, at least at the college level.

Look up the clips of Forest Griffin playing highschool football. He was a monster.

Reactions: mkt
Rugby's full name is "rugby football". What's the difference?
I did a quick search after you mentioned it. The term football originally referred to variety of games played on foot (as opposed to on horseback).

None of them played soccer at any level that would be considered substantially competitive. Also, just as a matter of physics, Conor and Jose are much smaller than typically the MWs/LHWs that come from football.

Meanwhile for football players, just very recent results. OSP (Vols) won his fight last week. Eryk Anders (Bama) won his fight at the start of the month. Alonzo Menifield also beat Dustin Jacoby last December. No one believes football is the best MMA base but it's doing just fine. We'll see how Karl Williams (GA St.) does this weekend.

Last edited:
The rest of the world doesn’t call it soccer. We all call it football. We call your crap american football and make fun of it all the time.
<Fedor23>
Thats fine with me as I'm no football fan. But the American footies had to bend the knee and assume their place on the totem pole. We are an irrational nation about football. We even think treat our politics like a college football rivalry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back