So when did Nate Diaz lose his motivation in the sport?

A few of the guys have already mentioned it, but it bears repeating:

It's on record from both Diaz boys that they don't necessarily enjoy fighting. They love bjj, they love the training, the community, their gym and their crew but if they didn't have to fight for the money, they wouldn't.

In Nate's case, he probably literally got paid 20x to fight McGregor what he did to kick the everloving shit out of Michael Johnson for 15 minutes. Neither Diaz is educated worth a fuck, but they aren't stupid. One more red panty night with McGregor and Nate never needs to work again. He might not necessarily need to right now.

But I thoroughly expect that if the rematch happens, win OR lose, Nate would take his gigantic Sweepstakes cardboard check, cash it and ride off into a hazy sunset.
Well said, I agree. He's waiting on that heavy cheque fight. I do not blame him one bit. Fight harder competition for peanuts, or slap n tap McDucker again for an easy red pantie night... not a hard decision to make.

He lost it a long time ago. He's always been saying how he doesn't like doing what he does. Fighting top level guys in the UFC for 10 years and making 20k to show will do that to you.

I respect Nate for this. He's in it for the money, pure and simple. He doesn't need to be on some P4P list so neckbeards can argue about him; he doesn't need a gaudy belt; he's after the one thing that actually benefits him and his family.

I think it was right around the time he got head kiced by JT.

Lemme splain something to you.

Nate can go fight some top LW or WW contender for maybe 100k if he's lucky, and very possibly lose, and then not get his rematch with McGregor. Or he can try and wait for Conor and make 2+ million.

What sounds like the better idea to you?

It's confusing that people don't understand this. He's not getting anything close to a pay day like the McGregor fight. I'm sure if the UFC offered him 2 mill to fight anyone else he would. But they won't. Waiting for McGregor is the smart move, our respect won't help him retire.

He's probably hoping the McGregor rematch gets rescheduled for 201 so he can still make huge money.

Nate's always expressed his reluctance to fight, Nick too.

Nick and Nate are professional fighters (notice I didn't say they act professionally). These are two men who work hard to be good at their selected craft. Thus they wish to be paid a maximum amount of money for their services. Nate isn't going to take a fight for 1/5 of the money that a CM match can provide. Would you take a fight for significantly less money? I'm sure we all would for honor, glory, and all of that really cool brave heart stuff. Actually no, I'm holding out for the big payday.

probably after he received $500,000+ for fighting a 145 pounder. before that, he was working his butt off to stay above 0.500 at LW for $20k+20k.

I don't even think he get the privilege to do it. The reason he's famous because of McGregor. If his next fight isn't against McGregor, i bet he won't even be in the co-main event on PPVs fight.

Nate has been famous for a long time, he's been in the UFC for almost a decade.

Also, it's a little delusional to think just because you beat the current FW champ that means you're ready to take on the WW champ.

The last guy that thought that got beat up in his warm-up fight and retired young.

He actually matches up really well with Lawler, just like Nick does.

His motivation is money and big fighs, always were. I don't know where you came with this champion bullshit.

Now that he got a taste of a big money fight, he only wants that now, even though he really is in no position to turn down fights.

He's not?

I think if he ever was in a position to turn down fights it would be now, considering he just made a mill his last fight.

Any other Diaz fan that are a bit sad that Nate ONLY wants Mcgregor? No Lawler no nothing.

Everyone talks about how it sucks that Mcgregor is off the card, but i enjoy Nate's fighting style more!

Out of selfish reasons, i just wanna see the guy fight. Sucks that Nate is off 200. We probably wont even see him fight again.

He said he would fight whoever was the biggest fight for him. The UFC and McGregor wanted this fight, I doubt Diaz really did.

Nate and Nick have had gym wars, they've been in the game a while, and have a brawling style. They don't need any unneccessary brain damage.

He has money in his pocket right now. He'll sit back and let some of this other stuff sort itself out then he will look at his next move. Maybe by chance that second fight with Conor happens later and its another big payday. He is more confidant he can win that than any of those other bouts.

Any other guy willl give him bum money. Only goat can give him the chance to get a 7 figure check.

Nate is not known for being a brilliant guy but he is doing the right thing this time.

Both Nate & Nick took a bunch of shit fights for a long time, even when they got famous. A common trend is people holding them down to win on points. It's happened a ridiculous amount of times, hence they don't get finished often. So I'd say a few years ago Nick started calling out GSP, got the fight, wanted the rematch, then said he only wanted big fights. Nate soon followed with the same speech.

He's probably hoping the McGregor rematch gets rescheduled for 201 so he can still make huge money.

CMG's next fight should be a defense of his belt. When that happens Nate's dream of "Big Money" will be gone forever.

Back