So I went to watch my nephew play in one of the bigger youth volleyball tournaments of the year...

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
It always strikes me odd how there are only certain areas where boys volleyball is played competitively. It is a fun sport to play and to watch.

Anyway, the semifinals of the 17 year olds was a rematch of the 16 year old national championships last year. The 17s and 18s year olds can jump and hit hard.

Everyone around me was trying not to laugh after one guy got a facial and the ball flew about two courts away. See the play below.

Olympic volley ball is a joy to watch. But I think they need tweak rules a bit. I like to see the legal bounds extended a bit, and allow for more touches before sending over.

That way they can be more strategic in their placement. It gets a little boring watching set spike, dig, or block then dig, then spike again.

Or they can put big holes in middle of net. That gives then another option of attack

Interesting idea to allow more than three contacts after the block. 3 contacts usually is advantage enough to a good offense. With good teams with a good first pass you will see teams as young as 16s have 4 guys ready to attack. That is a lot of options.

More than 3 contacts would mix things up though.

I don't know how holes in the net would work.

Interesting idea to allow more than three contacts after the block. 3 contacts usually is advantage enough to a good offense. With good teams with a good first pass you will see teams as young as 16s have 4 guys ready to attack. That is a lot of options.

More than 3 contacts would mix things up though.

I don't know how holes in the net would work.

holes in nets not a good idea actually.

I think lowering the net, and allowing for the hands to reach over. Lowering the net will allow for more angles. The guys in the back can attack more, and play bigger role in offense.

They should let the hands crossover without touching net though. It will force the set to be further back. But with further touches, and a lower net, it will force the defense to spread around more. Instead of three guys trying to block, it will probably just two or one because they need an extra guy for digging.

The set will be more strategic because defense can reach over to block. Right now setting is too easy because they dont worry about getting it knocked down.

Back