So I got a „herniated disc warning“ when deadlifting

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
As I was deadlifting the bar from the ground I felt a little snap in my lower spinal area and right away that unmistakable hernia pain around the lower back/hips/glutes appeared. I stopped right away and went on pain killers. Thought fuck me here we go again (I herniated my back 2 years ago but it was fully healed).

To my astonishment though, the acute phase was nowhere near where it was 2 years ago and it stopped bothering me after a week.

Now after 2 weeks I feel like my range of motion is back and I am like pretty much painless.

The orthopedic doctor thinks that it was just a muscle cramp but WTF, it REALLY felt just like the herniated disc I had 2 years ago.

So can the spine send signals like that without being already fucked?

It's likely a muscle strain, not a cramp. I get it every few years. If I go to the doctor, he normally prescribes steroids and non-narcotic muscle relaxers. I normally get it when I'm either not warmed up or from overuse. Last time I didn't go to the doctor and it took about a week to feel better, but probably closer to 2 weeks before I'd be ready to deadlift. When on the steroid pack, I feel better in a couple days and ready to go in about a week.

It's likely a muscle strain, not a cramp. I get it every few years. If I go to the doctor, he normally prescribes steroids and non-narcotic muscle relaxers. I normally get it when I'm either not warmed up or from overuse. Last time I didn't go to the doctor and it took about a week to feel better, but probably closer to 2 weeks before I'd be ready to deadlift. When on the steroid pack, I feel better in a couple days and ready to go in about a week.
And that benign muscle strain can feel exactly like a slipped disc? In case you had one as well and know the feeling….

My fear is that my back is actually fucked even if it feels OK…

And that benign muscle strain can feel exactly like a slipped disc? In case you had one as well and know the feeling….

My fear is that my back is actually fucked even if it feels OK…

Not sure, but I thought my first strain was certainly a lot worse than just a strain. I thought my back was completely fucked.

Not sure, but I thought my first strain was certainly a lot worse than just a strain. I thought my back was completely fucked.
That‘s how it felt when it happened lol.

Bro, didn't Oberst tell all of us deadlifting is bad for the back? Come on man. The only reason why the deadlift is popular is because teenagers think it's cool. But it truly is an overrated exercise.

Deadlifting should be delegated as a test of strength for worthy powerlifters like myself and a few others. It should never be a staple in anyone's training program.

Bro, didn't Oberst tell all of us deadlifting is bad for the back? Come on man. The only reason why the deadlift is popular is because teenagers think it's cool. But it truly is an overrated exercise.

Deadlifting should be delegated as a test of strength for worthy powerlifters like myself and a few others. It should never be a staple in anyone's training program.

I've heard different things from different people. One thing is though I heard enough horror stories to just leave it behind. I lift for overall health and I want to minimize injury as much as possible. Training BJJ goes against that but it's to fun for me to let it go.

Last edited:
I lift for overall health and I don't want to minimize injury as much as possible.

Should this be corrected?

Anyway, yeah. Deadlifting is risky. And I say that as a powerlifter.

I do Olympic pulls, and that is enough to make my deadlift stronger without deadlifting. It's gotten stronger. I know my deadlift did as well.

Deadlifting is and should just be a parlor trick.

This completely false.

What gym do you train at in Germany ?

Is hopefully just the muscle. Warm up and don't go too crazy to the edge with weight.

I was once sure I injured my hip, couldn't walk properly. Got it scanned and it was healthy. I was super confused. Turns out I pulled or tore my gluteus. I was supposed to scan my glutes too but didn't even do it. However the injury lasted for like a year. I didn't recover it properly and reagrevated it often. Now it's entirely 100% healthy no issues.

I do Olympic pulls, and that is enough to make my deadlift stronger without deadlifting. It's gotten stronger. I know my deadlift did as well.

lol yea I fixed it.

Twice In the last 6 months I thought I re slipped a disk in my lower back. Both times I've waved the weight back quite a bit and kept at it. Both times I was fine in a week or 2 never in that horrible pain even though it felt like my spine and my lower back feels stronger and more pain free than it has since 2018 when I slammed it outa place last. Good luck bro

A simple muscle strain and/or pinched nerve can be debilitating. I have had both happen and for some of them I was bed ridden for multiple days. After that it was like nothing happened. One of the worst was when I decided to do weighted sit ups and I heard loud tearing in my lower back.

Even yesterday my deadlift workout seemed completely fine yet when I got home and cooled down I started getting excruciating lower back pain on my right side that had me hunched over. I ended up taking some BPC and by morning I was fine. Sometimes just inflammation can cause huge pain and mobility issues.

Last edited:

IDK the irony -% in your post but I think I know what I did wrong. I am currently learning the snatch since I have bursitis on my shoulder, I decided to work on the deadlift.

Thing is, I squat 95Kg no problem so I figured ok I will deadlift 70Kg no problem. Thing is I hadn‘t trainer the deadlift in months AND for the first time I did the „snatch pull deadlift“ (the one where your shoulders are in front of the bar and you lift with your whole body with back raising parallel, etc.) with lifting shoes. Of course I did deadlift these 70Kg in the past but it was bare foot, with my ass much lower and I was pushing with my heels.

The funniest part is I almost made a thread about the differences between the powerlifting deadlift and the snatch pull deadlift and how I felt the later would compromise my back with more than say 50Kg.

If 70Kg were enough to fuck my back I think I will avoid the snatch pull deadlift in the future and only squat for higher weights.

What gym do you train at in Germany ?

Is hopefully just the muscle. Warm up and don't go too crazy to the edge with weight.

I was once sure I injured my hip, couldn't walk properly. Got it scanned and it was healthy. I was super confused. Turns out I pulled or tore my gluteus. I was supposed to scan my glutes too but didn't even do it. However the injury lasted for like a year. I didn't recover it properly and reagrevated it often. Now it's entirely 100% healthy no issues.
If that‘s OK i would prefer to stay completely anonymous here

Generally you can ask yourself

Does back pain radiate down your leg, (sign of pinched nerve/herniated disc)

Can you lift your legs to 90 degree angle while lying down (if you cant likely herniated disc)

I once could not get up from bed due to back pain but it was all muscle related, no pain going down the leg or anything

Back