So, has Woodley surpassed Hughes as the 2nd greatest WW yet?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Woodley has 4 consecutive defenses, Hughes had 5. But Woodley's competition has been 100x more stiff, which makes up for the one less title defense. Considering all of Woodley's beaten opponents would have murked Hughes in a round or so, I'd think Woodley would have an easy claim to 2nd WW GOAT

We'll have to wait and see if he can handle King Colby.
If he does i'm pretty sure that would make him the greatest WW of all time plus he's a rapper now

He surpassed GSP a while ago, so yeah

I would be inclined to agree. If not, then Woodley will 100% have surpassed the Canadian by late 2019. It is also a bad look that Georges wanted no part of Woodley, despite being fit to fight Michael Ping

He surpassed GSP a while ago, so yeah

FAIL

k2jImeiYSjOQxFcDs4SP_Lead_Singer_Guitar_Knockout.0.gif

It’s always hard to compare eras, but I think that he’s a close #3 WW all time.

Sure, he’d probably win a head to head matchup vs GSP, and would definitely beat a prime Hughes, but I still have him at #3.

I think that Hughes was just a more dominant champ during his time—in other words, Hughes stood out more from the competition of his day than Woodley has during his run.

he has THREE defenses. one against wonderboy was a draw, he just retained but didn't defend, this is why an immediate rematch happened

edit: I typed that he had one against WOODLEY that was a draw and people still liked the post, haha

Last edited:
Obviously not, but it's becoming more and more laughable to claim that he's some kind of fluke champion who isn't even an elite level fighter, which is a sentiment that I regularly see expressed here.

No. One of his defenses was a draw, another a majority decision, and another had the fewest strikes in title fight history and had a SD to get his title shot in the first place. He's had 1 impressive defense.

He’s up there with Hughes but not at GSP level yet.

No, not even close. Hughes has seven title defenses against the top competition of his time. The guy won nine title fights in total. He is the clear number two still. Woodley is easily number 3 in my mind though. No doubt.

Back