Sneaky Skilled White Belts

Snolla

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
Any stories about getting tapped/embarrassed by lower ranked guys? I'm only blue and I haven't been tapped by a white belt yet but I've been close and there is one guy in particular that I know will give me more trouble than even some of the blues will.

My White Belt Enemy #1 has a strange body type. Very stocky, looks like a little cannon ball when he's laying on his back and keeps all his limbs compact. He is the opposite of the lanky guy. Anyways he is very difficult to pass because his knees/compact strong style allows him to frame very well. He definitely has a grappling background of some sort and he'll be blue belt soon enough.

White Belt Enemy #2 is a lanky dude who's dream in life is to tap me via triangle and has gotten me in that position but hasn't finished me... yet...

(And I call them white belt enemies but really they are some of my favorite to roll with)

1il16h.jpg

I've been on both sides of this in BJJ and Judo

i'm a two stripe white belt buahahahahahaha

Yeah, not much with white belts, as I had quite a lot of experience with wrestling and judo before I started it, I had a good idea of what to do, which I am sure a lot of white belts have. Even if they take mma classes, they at least know what bad positions are, and how to try and avoid getting into them. You never know with lower ranks, they may look unimposing, but have a lot of knowledge/past experience and tricks to use.

I got ran over by a 15 years old kid a couple of months ago...

dude is one of those type of giftd kids, been training for 6 years also, huge kid with crazy athleticism. It was a holy fuck moment.

If you train long enough, you will get tapped by all sorts of belts.

(I've definitely been tapped by white belts- namely when I don't think they possibly know a certain submissions- and bam- yup they know that submission haha)

I get tapped kind of regularly by some of the white belts at my gym :( . Tbf though they are bigger than me and have nogi experience and are pretty athletic, and I'm a pretty newish blue. Even when I am feeling really good and roll hard against them at the best we both won't get submitted, I have yet to submit them :(

I know a "whitebelt" that has been training for years. Probably should be a high blue belt or even a purple belt by now. He travels a lot and switches gyms. He doesn't even have stripes on his belt. He rolls with you and he super strong and has decent technique. If you didn't know it might be demoralizing.

Super strong wrestler white belts give me a hard time even though I'm a purple belt. I mean if a guy has been wrestling his whole life he has good instincts and wrestling technique it should be expected. I just take advantage of their wrestling technique that are mistakes in bjj. One thing though is once they adapt their game to bjj they become nightmares.

I've not had any super-skilled, sneaky whites catching me with slick subs. But I have had the super-strong guys with grappling training get me.

One guy in particular was a firefighter, personal trainer, amateur MMA fighter with a great base and about 15 years younger than me. I could hold him off in short roll but a longer one, he'd end up on top and dominate me and often tap. Nice guy and I'm sure he wasn't going anywhere near 100% on me.

I notice these guys get an extra loud cheer when they're promoted - all the blues looking relieved!

Last edited:
Similar story to @Dogstarman -

Had a guy come in as a two stripe white belt and he immediately tooled pretty much all the white/blue belts and was giving a few of the purples fits. Turned out that he had been training at a gym where the blackbelt got a new day-job and had to move. When that happened, everyone stayed and continued to train and complete regularly, but just didn't have anyone to promote them. It was really surprising how good that whole group was despite basically teaching themselves.

i get tapped by anyone that tries... no matter the color of the belt. i dont necessarily make it hard for them but i dont just give them anything (well unless it the first day. I wont really fight things if they have the move or position correct., it not really my point to sometimes. if anything its more of "know where you are situation". but if im really on the days that im actually training for real. then its not happening, they be lucky to get a position. white belts, hell even brown belts for that matter.

I'm a purple belt and haven't been tapped by a white belt since I was promoted to blue, but one white belt came very close one day. Rolling before class with this guy that loved to go inverted to escape north-south I got sloppy/long trying to pressure in and he threw up an inverted triangle then started attacking my free arm (my own damn move). It took me a moment but I was able to work my way out although everybody was watching and even the instructor called out "C'mon Cody tap him for all of us!" Definitely didn't let that happen again.

I'm a purple belt and haven't been tapped by a white belt since I was promoted to blue, but one white belt came very close one day. Rolling before class with this guy that loved to go inverted to escape north-south I got sloppy/long trying to pressure in and he threw up an inverted triangle then started attacking my free arm (my own damn move). It took me a moment but I was able to work my way out although everybody was watching and even the instructor called out "C'mon Cody tap him for all of us!" Definitely didn't let that happen again.

LOL Thanks everyone for the stories

It sort of irritates me when I'm rolling in my white belt and I do a scissor sweep from spider guard, slide to kesa, switch to side mount, threaten a n/s kimura and finish with an armbar, and the blue belt I just tapped has to ask if I've ever taken classes before.

Like, who are you calling bad, bud? Me? You? Did you know that shit on your first day? Calm down about your relative rank.

I get tapped all the time by lower ranks. I try new escapes that put me deep in trouble. I love to see how deep I can let them get then escape. Sometimes I let them get too deep.

It sort of irritates me when I'm rolling in my white belt and I do a scissor sweep from spider guard, slide to kesa, switch to side mount, threaten a n/s kimura and finish with an armbar, and the blue belt I just tapped has to ask if I've ever taken classes before.

Like, who are you calling bad, bud? Me? You? Did you know that shit on your first day? Calm down about your relative rank.

On the flip side, when you are wearing a white belt, you need to realize what image you are projecting and act accordingly. People are going to treat you with kid gloves by default so you don't get hurt. So if you are better than the average bear, just bring that out slowly when you're in a new gym so people can figure out what the situation is and then act accordingly.

It's funny when I see some guy come in with a white belt and try to fly under the radar like a beginner. Then during the rolling I see him explode on the first higher rank guy who rolls with him, try to surprise him, and then pop up afterwards with a shit eating grin on his face.

What those guys don't realize is that I'm about to set them up now just the way they set up that first guy.

When I was in high school a this dude from Japan started training at our club as a white belt, and would easily hold his own against us, after befriending him a few months later he opened up and let it out he had trained at the Kodokan in Japan but didn't feel it was right to wear his rank from another club in another country.

He was my favorite person to do randori with, since his style was so different from ours I thought it would help my game.

Yep. In particular there's this HS kid (27 years younger than me is my go to excuse!) who gives me fits. But it helps keep me honest, I think. Gotta love Bjj...

I know a "whitebelt" that has been training for years. Probably should be a high blue belt or even a purple belt by now. He travels a lot and switches gyms. He doesn't even have stripes on his belt. He rolls with you and he super strong and has decent technique. If you didn't know it might be demoralizing.

Super strong wrestler white belts give me a hard time even though I'm a purple belt. I mean if a guy has been wrestling his whole life he has good instincts and wrestling technique it should be expected. I just take advantage of their wrestling technique that are mistakes in bjj. One thing though is once they adapt their game to bjj they become nightmares.

Collegiate level wrestlers likely have more mat time than most black belts.

When you combine their wrestling with sound jiujitsu technique it's the stuff of nightmares.

Back