Snakebitten about BJJ return

courtjester2

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Started BJJ after having not worked out since college 10+ years ago and sprained my ACL (Grade 1 now, but orthopedic surgeon was shocked it wasn't a full tear so I assume it was a Grade II at some point) 3 classes in (I was drilling and my partner swept me out of De La Riva guard and I guess I hit the mat awkwardly). This happened in early Apr. did one full round of pt, cortisone shot and then went for the MRI last week. In a full brace for the next 6 weeks, but am worried about going back and fully tearing it after I'm cleared since I heard ACL injuries short of full tears never really heal. Are ACL injuries that common in BJJ? Any good soft braces out there that offer ACL support (heard Bauerfeind is good)? I'm not looking to compete - it's really just a hobby that I thought would help me slim down, tone up, while exercising my mind. Am just trying to reassess at this point and any and all advice and input is appreciated.

Started BJJ after having not worked out since college 10+ years ago and sprained my ACL (Grade 1 now, but orthopedic surgeon was shocked it wasn't a full tear so I assume it was a Grade II at some point) 3 classes in (I was drilling and my partner swept me out of De La Riva guard and I guess I hit the mat awkwardly). This happened in early Apr. did one full round of pt, cortisone shot and then went for the MRI last week. In a full brace for the next 6 weeks, but am worried about going back and fully tearing it after I'm cleared since I heard ACL injuries short of full tears never really heal. Are ACL injuries that common in BJJ? Any good soft braces out there that offer ACL support (heard Bauerfeind is good)? I'm not looking to compete - it's really just a hobby that I thought would help me slim down, tone up, while exercising my mind. Am just trying to reassess at this point and any and all advice and input is appreciated.

It happens if you move the wrong way or training partner tweaks something the wrong way. Do all the physio and get really strong to protect it.

If you like BJJ keep doing it, but you will get little niggles if you want to be competitive.

If you just want to be fit you can always take up another sport that doesn't involve wrestling with other people, but any sport will get you injured eventually.
Grappling and combat sports aren't for everyone and if you will be sparring regualarly you will get hurt every now and then.

It's up to you but getting your muscles stronger around the area of your injury.

Back