Small people guide?

What are your current game plan when you roll?

I think I'm getting to a point where I can start nit-picking on my techniques. I'm tiny (5' ~115-125lb tiny) and I enjoy being at my current size except in the dojo. Whenever I rotate to someone who is 6'+ and 200-300lb, I'm in trouble, especially if they are former something or lifters. They tend to pressure really well.

So I'm looking for a giant killer guide or two. Any well known ones? I tried looking up here and for some reason I didn't get much results. I googled it and it's all tips and single tutorials. I suppose I could stick to that for now but I was hoping for a video series or book or something.

Maybe I'm missing something so please just let me know!

Stephan kesting from Grapple Arts has two diff video sets for defeating the stronger bigger opponent.

I have the entire second one with Brandon Mullons and I love it - the other one ( I have not gone through much of that) is pretty good so far as well.

And I am not small or large (very lean 170 175) but use it against bigger guys all the time.

Every BJJer can benefit from "moving like a small guy".

http://www.grapplearts.com/free-bjj-book-online-course/

Bigger-Stronger-2-Graphic.jpg

I try to keep my game plan simple since I don't compete. So if it's someone about my size and I know I can force it, I'll try to play top game and go for submissions as quickly as possible.

If it's someone who is physically stronger then I'm just going to keep it at open guard and make sure they can't pass my guard. Usually I have mild success with this because whenever I frustrate them, they just end up using a lot more strength than is necessary, at least from what I've heard / seen. I think too much ego is at stake here but I'm not sure how to ask or approach this topic with my partners.

Why do you mean by open guard?

That is a bit too vague.

What about starting with something basic like closed guard?

If they stand up. Switch to de LA riva.

Generally speaking, the best techniques against people your own weight are also the best techniques against people who are heavier.

To give an example, the crackdown, reverse half guard, and near leg deep half guard are isometric positions that are all finished with single leg mechanics. Specifically by attacking the back angle, which is a principle underlying the biomechanical advantage of many other techniques (such as the saddle, sweep single, front head locks, leg weave, berimbolo, duck under, russian 2 on 1, and so on).

(r2 4:35, r2 4:00)

(r2 0:25)

If you become proficient in the crackdown/RHG situation, you'll be able to hit 'cheap' takedowns on even quite stout opponents. As John Smith says, it's 'easy' to be in this position, and it's a pathway to scoring many points when you're funky (and catch people in r@re hiplocks saddles etc etc).

Last edited:
The thing is...eventually as you roll with better partners you will find that these people bigger than you are using "small people" jiu jitsu (ie the most efficient movements/techniques) and you wont be able to do much to them.

Training BJJ should be about being better than you were the day before not better than the people around you.

Food for thought.

Has anyone tried Stephen Kestings bigger stronger no gi with Emily Kwok?

Deep Half, Berimbolo, 2 on 1, X-Guard

But they are NOT recommended for self defense

Last edited:
What about starting with something basic like closed guard?

As a smaller person myself (5'5" with 28" legs), closed guard tends to be the beginning of the end when the person is that much bigger. Open guard and movement are the key imo.

@shadowskip - I highly recommend Marcello Garcia's stuff.

Agree with closed guard against much much bigger people does not work well for me either, at least not active closed guard. Grip fighting is too hard, two on one fails as my two is still weaker than their one, you're always getting stacked, and triangles are impossible.

Agree with closed guard against much much bigger people does not work well for me either, at least not active closed guard. Grip fighting is too hard, two on one fails as my two is still weaker than their one, you're always getting stacked, and triangles are impossible.

Yep. When the person is big enough to just straighten at the waist and basically pick you up with them, they are just too big. lol The classic "little guy" complaint that "the guy only beat me because he's so fat he crushed me" and its equivalents tends to come from smaller players using closed guard. It just makes it too easy for the bigger player to pin your hips. Especially when your legs aren't long enough to be the levers you need them to be in a closed guard.

That's why I like Marcello so much. Movement, open guard, and an emphasis on chokes make a very good "small players" game.

Back