sledgehammer workout without tire?

JJd2sc

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've recently started doing a circuit at my bjj gym and want to incorporate some sledgehammer work into it. I have a sledge and some tires at my house that I use, but I don't really want to bring a tire on the mats. Is there some sort of rubber block or something you can use instead?

I wouldn't be swinging a sledge on mats regardless of what you're hitting. I've seen people miss even on the monster tires, and that's not something you want to happen on your mats...

bump..

id like to know of a tire substitute too... monster tires are $1500 each

bump..

id like to know of a tire substitute too... monster tires are $1500 each

You can get giant tires for free.

Call used tire places, heavy equipment places, farms, gravel pits. One of these places will have a big tire that they would normally have to pay to be disposed of. True story.

Rolled up rug, old gym or horse stall mats, piles of carpet tiles... anything soft that you don't mind destroying will do. Actually I find a tyre isn't even the optimum thing to hit as the spring gives the hammer right back to you after each hit.

As for the possibility of missing, I do tabata rounds on a mid-size tractor tyre and, even at the point of having sweat pooling in my eyes and and vomit climbing up in my throat, I've never missed a hit.

As for the possibility of missing, I do tabata rounds on a mid-size tractor tyre and, even at the point of having sweat pooling in my eyes and and vomit climbing up in my throat, I've never missed a hit.

I use a fairly small car tire, and this is my experience as well.

I use a fairly small car tire, and this is my experience as well.

I use a small car tire, and I have missed, but it was really when I was learning that hammer.

I recall seeing Ross hitting a tire in a video that was cut in half and mounted vertically on a piece of plywood, so you're aiming at the treads instead of the wall of the tire.

We used rolled up carpet in our gym. I've found that a few stacked pieces of spare mat and using medicine ball slams approximates sledging pretty effectively while saving the flooring.

This is entirely possible. See Shovelglove: The Sledgehammer Workout

Basically, you use the hammer in a variety of movements mimicking real-world tasks, like shoveling snow, driving stakes into the ground, churning butter, etc. You don't actually hit anything. I've tried it; it's a pretty good metabolic workout.

Throw in some levering while you're at it. I heard it builds great wrist strength.

Back