Single-Leg X Troubleshooting

Make sure that you are raising your hips up constantly, finding that out was huge for me.

This is a very key point, the way I think of it is I try to make the opponent carry all my weight.

So get your hips as high as possible high, clamp tightly (this is where the my free leg/foot needs to be on his trapped leg, to answer a previous question).

Once clamped, then hang all your weight off that clamp. I think of clamping tightly, then sagging the rest of my body like an pet that doesn't want to be picked up. It seems if you're too rigid, it will be a bit easier to counter, so clamp and hang like dead weight, staying loose until time to sweep.

Many will just fall over at that point. Then think of using your clamp and weight to open his knee up widely. If you also have the free leg at the ankle, he is almost sure to fall.

If not, the "triple pump" will finish them off.

As any control position, it's a good idea to use beginners to practice your control. Don't go for the sweep right away, just see if you can hold it for 30-60 seconds and let them spazz. Pay particular attention to how they react and try to feel when they are off balance. You can gradually build up to higher belts and repeat the exercise ("in-roll drilling"). Doing this roll after roll will make you feel super comfortable in the position and allow you to feel when the moment for the sweep is there.

This is a very key point, the way I think of it is I try to make the opponent carry all my weight.

So get your hips as high as possible high, clamp tightly (this is where the my free leg/foot needs to be on his trapped leg, to answer a previous question).

Once clamped, then hang all your weight off that clamp. I think of clamping tightly, then sagging the rest of my body like an pet that doesn't want to be picked up. It seems if you're too rigid, it will be a bit easier to counter, so clamp and hang like dead weight, staying loose until time to sweep.

Many will just fall over at that point. Then think of using your clamp and weight to open his knee up widely. If you also have the free leg at the ankle, he is almost sure to fall.

If not, the "triple pump" will finish them off.

As any control position, it's a good idea to use beginners to practice your control. Don't go for the sweep right away, just see if you can hold it for 30-60 seconds and let them spazz. Pay particular attention to how they react and try to feel when they are off balance. You can gradually build up to higher belts and repeat the exercise ("in-roll drilling"). Doing this roll after roll will make you feel super comfortable in the position and allow you to feel when the moment for the sweep is there.

Hmmm I've clamped tightly, but always kept abs engaged to stay "egg shelled" up. I can totally see how relaxing the rest of body except the legs can add weight that they have to carry and thus making the opponent less stable.I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
I really like Mansher's game. He seems to use the sweeps starting 1:09 and 3:50 of this video.
[YT]vyH9hjfgHmE[/YT]

Hmmm I've clamped tightly, but always kept abs engaged to stay "egg shelled" up. I can totally see how relaxing the rest of body except the legs can add weight that they have to carry and thus making the opponent less stable.I'll give it a try.

I tend to extend my body quite a bit to get the sweep, because in addition to the thigh pressure I'm pulling on the ankle to force his leg straight making the sweep much easier. I guarantee you if I can force your leg straight I'll sweep you, but if it's still bent you can defend.

I came in here to tell you guys that that Gianni Grippo SLX instructional is the truth. He really fills in blanks that Marcelo has covered on MGINACTION. IMO its the best instructional on the position. I was skeptical about the ONDEMAND feature,but that is easily the best medium for it. You can drill it with your cellphone with you.

An issue I have with SLX is that once i have the position i find the opponent often puts the non controlled knee to the ground forcing my leg off the hip, so he is now in a mount position but i still have a leg overhooked. I can hip escape towards the controlled leg side and kick with the inside leg to regain the SLX however they can immediately just sit again and it is burning a lot more energy for me to do that than it is for them. Any tips?

Them putting the far knee to the ground really shouldn't force you out of the position. If you're allowing them to crowd you maybe, but your should push them away with the foot on the hip to stop that. If they're just kneeling in the SLX, that should be a very easy sweep. Switch to an underhook of the leg and kick up into a technical standup. Sometimes you don't even need the underhook from there.

I came in here to tell you guys that that Gianni Grippo SLX instructional is the truth. He really fills in blanks that Marcelo has covered on MGINACTION. IMO its the best instructional on the position. I was skeptical about the ONDEMAND feature,but that is easily the best medium for it. You can drill it with your cellphone with you.

That's a good endorsement. Will buy now.

An issue I have with SLX is that once i have the position i find the opponent often puts the non controlled knee to the ground forcing my leg off the hip, so he is now in a mount position but i still have a leg overhooked. I can hip escape towards the controlled leg side and kick with the inside leg to regain the SLX however they can immediately just sit again and it is burning a lot more energy for me to do that than it is for them. Any tips?

Aside from the technical stand up you can transition into a waiter sweep. Grippo goes over the transition in his new SLX DVD. I also must endorse the Grippo SLX DVD. For the last 9 months SLX has been my A game. However, Grippo added so much to my game and really fills in some holes.

That's a good endorsement. Will buy now.

Thanks,I know you work the position alot as well. Keep us updated on your thoughts. One key thing I've gotten results with off the bat is that he uses a palm up grip on the free knee. In the past, i've used my free hand to either grip the lapel or to try and get the pant cuff of the free leg. His grip is superior and easier to get.I've pretty much instantly got more success in the position once I used his grip and placement.

Back