Singers you thought were the opposite sex

nostradumbass

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Has anybody heard a song a bunch of times, and then when you eventually watch the video of the person singing it, you find out it's a guy when you thought it was a girl, or vice versa? I thought Tracy Chapman was a dude even after seeing the video.

Thought this was a dude

Thought this was a chick.

Didn't know Q Lazarus wasn't a guy.

Didn't know Tracy Champan wasn't a guy for a while, even after seeing the video.

Nick Gilder
Russell Hitchcock (Air Supply)
Annie Lennox

LMAO. My wife always thinks Tracy Chapman is a man whether it was before/after seeing the video too.

Pretty sure Rihanna is an alien with that giant sectoid forehead. Not sure what sex aliens go by.

The weeknd

He wasn't big yet when I heard this song and I was later surprised to find out it was a guy singing

Honorary mention

a0377803428_10.jpg

Not particularly. But I'm in the mezzo soprano range and I cover a shitload of lady fronted tunes. I could see someone thinking I'm a chick at the top of my range.

Alabama Shakes lead singer I thought was a guy the first time I heard them. I was surprised when I realized I was incorrect.

I thought the singer from Beach House was a dude signing in a falsetto.

Everything but the Girl and Active Child come to mind.

Both dudes but effeminate voices.

Last edited:

I don’t usually listen to music like this but I heard this song and it really grabbed my attention. Heard it a few times so I googled it. Never would’ve thought it was men singing the whole thing.

For a long while I didn't know this was a dude; moreover, I did not know it was in ENGLISH the whole time.

I thought this song had a male vocalist doing the hook but it's just the singer pitching her voice down

The singer in Greta van Fleet....I was dead sure he was a chick :):)

I don’t usually listen to music like this but I heard this song and it really grabbed my attention. Heard it a few times so I googled it. Never would’ve thought it was men singing the whole thing.

Aaron Frazer, the guy with the falsetto is talented af.

I thought Melissa Etheridge was a dude singing when I heard some random song of hers lol

Back