Shoulder range of motion

613MMAfan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
During certain sports and exercises I noticed that it seemed like I didn't have full range of motion in my shoulders so I searched online for some tests you can do to see if you have proper range of motion in your shoulders. One of the tests was standing with your back against a wall with your feet a foot away from the wall and trying to raise your arm up over your head and touching the wall while keeping your back flush with the wall and I wasn't able to do it or even come that close. I seem to have some significant restriction in my shoulder ROM and yet I have no pain in my shoulders that would indicate an injury. Does anyone have any knowledge about this subject and what could be causing the restriction?

Grab some weight. I use a dumbbell. grab the weighted ends with your hand. It can be 5, 10 15 20. Lay on a swiss ball, more upper to mid back than shown above. Toss the weight down to the floor and let it spring back up. Don't lift the weight like he appears to be doing in this video. Just let the elastic energy spring the weight back up. Keep tossing it to the floor.

It's gonna fix over kyphosis, improve shoulder flexibility and elasticity. Use light enough weight so that it springs back up. Too little weight won't give you the stretch you need, too much weight will decrease the stretch reflex and elastic component of the exercise.

The best packaged prehab/rehab shoulder program you will find:

I've been curious about Duffin's Shoulderok, or at least stealing the idea and making my own:

I've been curious about Duffin's Shoulderok, or at least stealing the idea and making my own:

Damn and listening to Tool too.

I've always wanted to get a macebell and do those exercises. I remember buying Karl Gotch's DVD a few years back and saw it for the first time there.

It goes way back though hundreds of years to India and Pakistan. Looks like an awesome way to improve stability, strength and mobility in one go. Has to be build up gradually and with focus on actually doing it right though. It could cause some damage if you're not stable enough to handle the weight and the shoulders are all over the place.

Don't know how much it'll help TS' problem with extension.

TS: I think the exercise RIP posting is pretty good for both thoratic extension and some shoulder extension as well. Just be sure not to arch the lower back and gradually work into a greater ROM over time. Band pull aparts are pretty good in that regard also. It's hard to know what the limiting factor is. It could be muscular, something like tight lats limiting extension in the shoulder joint, but it could be capsular, or something within the joint as well. How does your shoulders feel generally, and especially when putting your arms overhead?

Last edited:
Work on increasing strength in the end ROM. It's a motor pattern that your nervous and musculo- system has forgotten, since you don't that specific motor pattern often, which subsequently decreases the amount of force you can generate at that ROM.

Damn and listening to Tool too.

I've always wanted to get a macebell and do those exercises. I remember buying Karl Gotch's DVD a few years back and saw it for the first time there.

It goes way back though hundreds of years to India and Pakistan. Looks like an awesome way to improve stability, strength and mobility in one go. Has to be build up gradually and with focus on actually doing it right though. It could cause some damage if you're not stable enough to handle the weight and the shoulders are all over the place.

Don't know how much it'll help TS' problem with extension.

TS: I think the exercise RIP posting is pretty good for both thoratic extension and some shoulder extension as well. Just be sure not to arch the lower back and gradually work into a greater ROM over time. Band pull aparts are pretty good in that regard also. It's hard to know what the limiting factor is. It could be muscular, something like tight lats limiting extension in the shoulder joint, but it could be capsular, or something within the joint as well. How does your shoulders feel generally, and especially when putting your arms overhead?

Another one on the swiss ball is similar stretch to your maceball. A little different.

Same position as my above video, mid to upper back on swiss ball. Grab two dumbells in pullover position with elbows to ceiling, and weights dangling straight down to floor with palms facing straight back behind you. A smal swiss ball helps. Like 45 or 55 cm ball. I use a Hippity Hop from my 4 yr old. Fight to keep elbows in. Let it stretch you out, raise and lower.

That will stretch you out!

But this and that maceball will give you power throwing a baseball or an overhead basketball pass like nothing else will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back