Should you do no gi for your first tournament?

The White Mamba

"Cold Stone Steve Austin" - Mike Goldberg
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm signed up for a tournament this Saturday for Gi. I've been training for about 5.5 months and kind of want to do no-gi as well. Would you guys recommend it or should I stick to Gi for now? Any info is greatly appreciated.

There's no reason not to do both. Have fun, and don't forget to tap if you get caught. Everyone else is as nervous as you are.

There's no reason not to do both. Have fun, and don't forget to tap if you get caught. Everyone else is as nervous as you are.
Appreciate the input. Definitely looking forward to it win or lose. Should be some great experience for me.

Run it by your coach and see what they say. Feel free to post your results. Oss!

Shouldn't matter. Just do it and have fun.

It is your choice, I would suggest competing in both, for it doesn't really matter what you compete in - as long as you enjoy it.

in nearly 7 years, I've never trained No-Gi once (schedule doesn't allow for it and don't think my body could handle that much anyway). When I was a white belt, my coach convinced me to also compete No-GI because "why not?" Won my first match by points, second match broke a kids arm with an americana, third match got belly to belly slammed by a sandbagging wrestler 3x in a row, dumbass ref didn't do anything until I said "wtf are you doing ref?" He pauses and resets the fight in the center, my back is jacked so I tap to a sloppy garbage armbar, couldn't compete in my medal match for nogi, or in the Gi at all.

TLDR: If you like Gi and have some athleticism, it can be a fun experience, just make sure its a well officiated tournament.

Go for it and have fun. I don't generally train the days my gym had nogi session. but im actually better in nogi than i am in gi ( go figure ) but i have a background in wrestling. Its a learning experience. if its offered and its not much more go for it. You'll either hate it or love it, but either way your gonna do it again lol

Just watch for the schedule and the format.

Some guys at my club were supposed to do both last weekend but they started their gi matches at 10 am, doing 4 fights, then it was the semi finals and finals, it all ended at around 3 pm. The no gi started at 5 pm with 4 matches to do + the semi and final.

One of our guys just got the silver in gi in a grudging close fight, he was helping out coaching some of the guys in between is scheduled no gi fights... He just wrote off is name and dedicated this time to help the guys. He wasn't in the mood to start that all over again.

The guy had the cardio, I'm sure if it has been a mix of gi and no gi matches during the day and the semi and finals at the end of the day he would have been just fine.

Nice work! In your early tournaments, you should try get as many matches and as much experience as possible- so yeah, do Gi, Nogi, and the Absolutes as well!

Nice work! In your early tournaments, you should try get as many matches and as much experience as possible- so yeah, do Gi, Nogi, and the Absolutes as well!
Thank you! Really glad I did both. Awesome experience.

Back