Should thread starters with "fake news" links be held accountable?

Let's let Hillary decide what's fake. The left will save us

Just starting a debate and seeing where it goes.

Hypothetically scenario: a TS starts a thread with an outlandish news story from a dubious source. For the sake of argument, lets say the story is easily proven false with a simple google search or not verified by any credible news source. Once disputed, TS refuses to redact the OP. What, if anything, should happen? Just to get conversation started, some possible actions taken could be, but are not limited to:
- immediate thread deletion or lock down; no action taken on TS
- warning from mods to TS, with dubs. Bans repeated behavior
- Nothing; thread stays open and OP is not redacted, because _____ (free speech, mods can't be trusted, lulz, etc.)

What say you? I think posting fake news sharing should be discouraged, but I'm not sure what sort of mechanism to enforce it should be.

Look at the responses in this thread. Welcome to a new time, were objective truth means nothing.

Just starting a debate and seeing where it goes.

Hypothetically scenario: a TS starts a thread with an outlandish news story from a dubious source. For the sake of argument, lets say the story is easily proven false with a simple google search or not verified by any credible news source. Once disputed, TS refuses to redact the OP. What, if anything, should happen? Just to get conversation started, some possible actions taken could be, but are not limited to:
- immediate thread deletion or lock down; no action taken on TS
- warning from mods to TS, with dubs. Bans repeated behavior
- Nothing; thread stays open and OP is not redacted, because _____ (free speech, mods can't be trusted, lulz, etc.)

What say you? I think posting fake news sharing should be discouraged, but I'm not sure what sort of mechanism to enforce it should be.

Should posters who take a position with no evidence and that the evidence points to the exact opposite conclusion be drawn and quartered or just boffed by some gay guy?

Look at the responses in this thread. Welcome to a new time, were objective truth means nothing.

or take 5 seconds to prove it wrong, like I do when you post YOUR FEELINGS instead of facts
you are one of the posters I routinely destroy here very easily as far as facts vs lies goes

Hard to stop the amount of fake news misinformation posts when some of the mods believe that brietbart is a news source and not an agenda driven propaganda website.

How exactly do you disprove non-facts? The issue is that the trump spammers have no interest in actual debate and want to overwhelm the debate with sheer volume.

I love how you've already integrated the buzzword into your thought process. Just take any story you don't like and call it fake news, that should lighten up the cognitive load.

I have an idea, we could move it to a subforum full of shit threads.

We could call it "The Dump" or something. We should probably start with this one.
I've got some threads in the Dump. Sometimes the mods don't appreciate my genious thread starting skills.

How about we just teach logic, deductive reasoning, and critical thinking to our children?

How about we just teach logic, deductive reasoning, and critical thinking to our children?
No! We can't have that!

It's only taught as an elective in college (unless you're a philosophy major). The vast majority of the populace doesn't need these skills, memorizing facts about history (like oppression of women) is much more important!!!!11111

No moderation needed. Let it stand and let fellow posters out the TS as a fool.

If the TS refuses to concede that his source or info is bogus then that just makes him or her look even more foolish.

Once again, no moderation needed. This is mostly the way the wr has been run for years.

Hard to stop the amount of fake news misinformation posts when some of the mods believe that brietbart is a news source and not an agenda driven propaganda website.

How exactly do you disprove non-facts? The issue is that the trump spammers have no interest in actual debate and want to overwhelm the debate with sheer volume.

This issue is, where do you draw the line? And who is fit enough to draw that line? Certainly not any moderator here.

You can read two different msm news stories on the same topic and clearly see the selective wording, quotations taken out of context, or just plain missing info that could persuade you to lean towards a one direction or another.

are news channels that talk about the relation of Donald Trump's hand size versus his penis size considered fake news or is that legit?

I made a post earlier about voter fraud that many deemed based on fake news. But I looked into the primary sources and concluded it was real. If I had discovered it to be fake, I gladly would edit the post and call myself an idiot in all caps.

Back