Should the Celtics retire KG's jersey?

mU9LlTY.gif

Yes.

That was a completely different squad than was any good. Marbury was only on two playoff teams. He was quickly dealt for Terrell Brandon when he got all butt hurt about the team being centered around Garnet. Brandon was a better pg anyways. Marbury was the most overrated pg besides Rondo ever to lace up his shoes. I don't think any team was actually better for having Marbury.

Agree about both Marbury and Rondo.

No way, I think teams are too quick to retire jerseys to begin with. There needs to be a little more prestige in that type of honor. The pros listed for Garnett don't cut it imo.

Marbury was the most overrated pg besides Rondo ever to lace up his shoes.

The thing about Marbury:

1998 - Traded to the Nets (previously #8 seed in the 98 playoffs) from Sota;
1999 - Sota improved their record, Nets became the 2nd worst team in the East

2001 - Traded to the Suns (previously #6 in the 2001 playoffs) from the Nets;
2002 - Nets reached the NBA Finals, while the Suns fell to a losing record the same season.

2004- Traded to the Knicks in 2004; after he declared himself as the best point guard in the NBA in January 2005, the Knicks lost 15 of 17 since that self-declared statement.

Garnett was a true anchor on those Timberwolves teams. No jersey retirement in Boston will be necessary.

The thing about Marbury:

1998 - Traded to the Nets (previously #8 seed in the 98 playoffs) from Sota;
1999 - Sota improved their record, Nets became the 2nd worst team in the East

2001 - Traded to the Suns (previously #6 in the 2001 playoffs) from the Nets;
2002 - Nets reached the NBA Finals, while the Suns fell to a losing record the same season.

2004- Traded to the Knicks in 2004; after he declared himself as the best point guard in the NBA in January 2005, the Knicks lost 15 of 17 since that self-declared statement.

Thank you. I always knew in my gut this but never had anything to back it up. I would always look at his stats and second guess myself.

I think this demand that pg score more stems more so out of more teams having more guys, especially big guys who can pass the ball and shoot. You don't need a 8-10 point assist a game point guard if you have another guy on the team that dishes out 5 assist a game. You just need enough people to be able to move the ball well enough to get easy scores. If that means you run everything through the point or distribute the ball more, it is all the same.

I kind of question actually the Timberwolves trading away Rubio and replacing him with Teague. The team now has Wiggins, Butler, and Towns. Three guys that can get you 20 points a night. I question how much you really need a pg that is a scorer on a team like that. And even though the stats don't show it, I really think that Rubio is a better distributor than Teague. Rubio is a distributor that needs to get his shot down. If Rubio was just unhappy with being in Minnesota, then the trade makes perfect sense. But the Timberwolves right now I think would be great fit for a pg that isn't necessarily a good scorer. Rondo might be a great fit and cheap to get for a team like the wolves. Teague might be better fit on most teams but you don't build your team that way. You find what is the best fit for the price for your team.

This is a KG thread so I have to say something about KG. KG would be a great fit on any team. He played great defense against so many positions, was a great rebounder, decent scorer, and great passer for a pf. He did so many things well that he would have helped whoever tremendously wherever he went. Even with the Celtics, his stats were down quite a bit, especially his scoring, but in the playoffs I still think he was a 5-10 player.

Last edited:
All teams should retire KG's jersey for his gif contributions alone.

Back