Should Renan Barao Retire?

He took some brutal shots from one of the hardest hitters in mma and still almost won the fight. He will do fine once he adjusts.

He's one of the most overrated fighters in the past few years. lol at p4p king

If he can afford to, sure. I wish i could have retired at 29

Lets not ignore the Elephant in the room here, ever since USADA has taken hold these longtime dominant Brazillian fighters are dropping like flies... But Im sure its just a coincidence. Yeah Right.

No. I think he tried to change up his style a bit, going after take downs to work his BJJ...problem is his wrestling blows. Amazing defensively, sucks balls offensively. He needs what I think Aldo would benefit from as well, a camp change. Time for a fresh start, not a band aid.

He should move to the USA
And train at King's MMA or ATT

He and Pettis are in the same boat and that boat is sinking fast.

Lets not ignore the Elephant in the room here, ever since USADA has taken hold these longtime dominant Brazillian fighters are dropping like flies... But Im sure its just a coincidence. Yeah Right.
yep, the last left is RDA

Why should he? Even if he's not becoming a champ anymore, he's still perfectly capable of being top 10 in either 135 or 145. The man is a professional fighter for chrissake, he needs to make a living.

It's not like he's 38 and getting KTFO'd left and right.

UPD. He made over a million dollars in reported pay only during his 5 years in the UFC. It's not McGregor or GSP money, but I doubt he's instantly going to make that much if he retires at 29 and begins coaching or whatever in Brasil.

He made 200k for his win over Mitch Gagnon (with POTN bonus). If I were him I'd be pushing for money fights in both 135 and 145. He's got plenty of fun match ups due to his fan-friendly style and heart and he has nothing left to prove - he's been at the pinnacle of the sport for some time and already had better career than 99% of all MMA fighters.

Imagine something like Barao vs Zombie and tell me you wouldn't watch it!

Last edited:
Looks like he caught Anthony Pettis disease. Looked terrible, no passion, no power, no ideas.

No...and, despite the loss, he clearly should remain at 145.

imo his stock rose despite the loss. He looked back to form and showed his chin is still very solid. I like Barao at 145.

So Barao has practically been exiled from BW after the two massacres of Dillashaw, and now he has lost to #9 FW Jeremy Stephens, and while the fight was competitive, it revealed that Barao is probably not going to be a contender...

His greatest hope is that Faber beats Cruz, so that he has some chance of returning to BW and being competitive again, but that seems high unlikely, and the best he can hope for at FW is another top 15 opponent like Yair to fight next.

He lost because of the poor gameplan.
Maybe because he spent a lot of time in Natal and less time in Rio with Pederneiras. Anyways I think that with a smarter approach he could beat stepens 7 out of 10 times. In the third round he started to adjust and probably a five round fight could have had a different result.
He should face someone out of the top ten and gradually go back on a winning streak.

So Barao has practically been exiled from BW after the two massacres of Dillashaw, and now he has lost to #9 FW Jeremy Stephens, and while the fight was competitive, it revealed that Barao is probably not going to be a contender...

His greatest hope is that Faber beats Cruz, so that he has some chance of returning to BW and being competitive again, but that seems high unlikely, and the best he can hope for at FW is another top 15 opponent like Yair to fight next.

So what do you think? should Barao retire? If not, where should he go?
he should retire this guy

andre.png

No, he shouldn't retire the man owns mad fighting skillz but he's grown stale a change of air meaning check out new clubs & trainers he needz to get his mind and fight game right again...

Back