Should LA Confidential have beat Titanic in 97?

CrimsonFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Titanic won the best picture

LA Confidential imo has sort of been forgotten but still has higher reviews.

Did the right film get the nod?

I had to go back and look, I was sure LA confidential won BP. Much, much better movie than Titanic.

No way
LA Confidential is a gangster movie for the gays, Titanic is a beautiful love story for the everyone

I had to go back and look, I was sure LA confidential won BP. Much, much better movie than Titanic.
Titanic crushed in. Won best picure academy awards and most awards overall

La confidential had some winners for best supporting and lead i believe in various awards. But never best picture

they were both weak films that wouldnt win in a more competitive year. Looking at the nominees, none of them were that great. Out of those, I'd give it to Good Will Hunting.

LA Confidential had one of the best ensemble cast

lol at thinking Oscars are in any way indicative of the "Best".

The whole award season bollocks is so obviously corrupt and media driven I'm surprised they are still regarded so highly.

they were both weak films that wouldnt win in a more competitive year. Looking at the nominees, none of them were that great. Out of those, I'd give it to Good Will Hunting.
I wouldnt have a problem with that winning either

You think Curtis Hanson could be the King of the World?

This was one of the few times that they got it right. Titantic is an all time GOAT.

This was one of the few times that they got it right. Titantic is an all time GOAT.
From the time the iceberg hit til the end is the best part of the film. I couldn't stand the film up until that point.

Last edited:
Titanic is almost a flawless movie except for Leo's acting

Good Will Hunting > LA Confidential > Titanic

It's an understandable result.

Unlike the complete skullfuckery that was Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan.

With some Oscar winners the reasoning seems to be "this director made a bunch of awesome movies and we fucked up in not giving them an award before. Let's give them the award this time to make up for it even though the movie doesn't really deserve it."

Titanic is almost a flawless movie except for Leo's acting
INSANE TALK!

Jack Dawson is like his number three best performance behind RETARD and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. He's a solid actor but his own persona too often overrides his characters way too strongly.

Agree. GWH is a much much better movie than both Titanic and LA Confidential.

It’s not even close really.

Back