Should I join a boxing gym?

soxing

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I am tempted to join woodside academy in Woodside queens.
I am wondering if it is worth it to pay the monthly fee to just to use the gym.
I don't want to publish the pricing because they don't publish it on their own website and I had to call to get the info and they sent me a text with all pricing configurations.
I am 33 and want to get into it and have an amateur match. I don't want to rush in and get destroyed. I tried it in college at a gym in pgh but I feel like i was too dumb to get it ( did wrestling hs but its a completely different game) but now I feel I have the patience to try to understand it.

Short answer: yes

Long answer: in my opinion you should really look to see if the gym is quality and has quality people that train there first. What you should look out for are people that lack control when you're sparring. You want sparring partners that treat you with respect and don't try to bash your brains in simply because you're new or because they have a big ego/can't control themselves. There's plenty of those people around.

I recently joined a new boxing gym with plenty of people training for amateur matches. I'm 6"3 and 98KG/215 lbs with some experience, usually one of the biggest guys there, so when I'm in a class where you do mixed drills and sparring, I have to really watch out not to hurt people, especially when they're smaller. But seeing I wasn't training for years before that, I also want people to watch out not to hurt me, because I'm still getting back into it. Fortunately, the people in my gym were very careful when I first sparred them and only turned up the pace once they figured out I'm not a complete beginner.

That is always the way you should spar, nice and respectful. Hard sparring is good, especially when you're training for matches, but you're gonna have to communicate with your partners which intensity you would like to go at, and you want to get to know them first so you know you can trust them.

Happy training!

Go for it bro, take it as a hobby and check for some blue collar boxing matches when you have a coach that says you're well prepared

May as well start training especially if it is close to you. There are plenty of ways to gauge if you're ready for a fight even if your gym isn't the best. You can always switch gyms.

Yes! Joining and practicing any sort of martial art is a life changer no matter how far you want to pursue it.

Fuck yeah. @soxing I was grappling with the same thing about 8 years ago at a similar age to you (35 to be exact). I went and did it, was shitting myself, 8 years later I'm still training, im about 40kg lighter, fitter, more confident etc etc. Have sparred some in the past but not really interested these days, they have "old man boxing" tournaments I could do but my wife isn't too keen on me doing that to say the least ha ha

So I'd say give it a crack for sure!

Back