Should I get an XBONE S? Wait for Scorpio?

mushishi

A is a, a is a, should I save her?
@Silver
Reaction score
Never had an X Box before, been loyal to Sony since the PS2. But I really want to get a console with a 4k player, and Sony screwed that up big time. That rules out everything but the X Box. lol

They're a great deal right now for the S, at about $250, but should I wait for the Scorpio? Will it be that much better? I'm assuming it'll retail for around $400. I'm looking forward to 4k HDR gaming, but that's secondary to watching 4k discs.

Never had an X Box before, but I really want to get a console with a 4k player. That rules out everything but the X Box. lol

They're a great deal right now for the S, at about $250, but should I wait for the Scorpio? Will it be that much better? I'm assuming it'll retail for around $400. I'm looking forward to 4k HDR gaming, but that's secondary to watching 4k discs.

If you're looking forward to 4K HDR gaming and you have the TV for that.. Waiting a few months for the Scorpio seems like the better option at this point.

Yeah, I'll wait for Scorpio. Man, 1st X box I'm excited!

Xbox One S is still pretty expensive for a system that is being phased out in a few months and replaced with something more powerful. If you have waited till now there's no point buying one unless you can get it really cheap along with the library of games.

definitely the scorpio if you don't own any systems at all. it will be the most powerful of the consoles.

the only concern you may have are the exclusives for the system but that's a minor concern if you also own a PS4. if you do not own a PS4 then the exclusives may steer you towards getting that instead. I mean... You can't play The Last of Us 2 on the Scorpio for example.

as for the pricepoint... 400? At most 500...

+1 to wait for Scorpio. No-brainer.

At that point you'll have a new decision based on price points.

Never had an X Box before, been loyal to Sony since the PS2. But I really want to get a console with a 4k player, and Sony screwed that up big time. That rules out everything but the X Box. lol

Scorpio if you have 4k tv

Xbox One S is still pretty expensive for a system that is being phased out in a few months and replaced with something more powerful. If you have waited till now there's no point buying one unless you can get it really cheap along with the library of games.

The S is not being phased out, probably the OG One version though. The Xbox boss has recently said that the Scorpio will be the premium product with a premium price well he fully expects the S to sell far more.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-boss-talks-project-scorpio-pricing-xbox-game-/1100-6448363/

It just fucking came out half a year ago lol

Is the Scorpio a new system or is it just an upgrade of Xbox one like the PS4 pro? Like can it play all Xbox games and what not ?

Is the Scorpio a new system or is it just an upgrade of Xbox one like the PS4 pro? Like can it play all Xbox games and what not ?
The Xbox One S is already an upgrade of the Xbox One, and the Scorpio is gonna be the same thing a step higher.

"Xbox One" and "PS4" define operating systems, now, not hardware. Congratulations is in order, I suppose, console gamers, because...

71PgSFxvBxL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Great potential. Major flaw makes it hit or miss.
By DanT on Amazon, December 1, 2016
Platform: 1TB PS4 Pro|Edition: Console Bundle|Verified Purchase

The biggest problem currently with the PS4 PRO is that you're completely at the mercy of the developer's "pro mode" implementation. If this implementation is lazy, sloppy, and poorly optimized, then you're stuck with no way to bypass the "pro" mode and default to the "non-pro" mode.

So far we have a mixed bag in terms of "pro" modes across supported games. A handful of "pro" supported games actually perform worse when compared to the base ps4. Here are some such games:

• Skyrim - runs at a slightly lower framerate in many scenes compared to base ps4
  • Deus ex - runs at a much lower framerate in many scenes compared to base ps4
  • Watch Dogs 2 - suffers from frame pacing issues not present on base ps4
  • World of Final Fantasy - suffers from worse image quality on pro (lol)
MOST game's "pro" modes are superior in image quality and run better or equal to their "base" mode. But there are some exceptions such as the examples above that when on a ps4 pro, there's no way to opt out of.

To clarify some confusion. It doesn't matter whether your Ps4 Pro is set to output 4k or 1080p, A Pro supported game will ALWAYS run in it's "pro" mode. If you're outputting at 1080p the game will render at it's higher resolution and downsample it. So there is NO way currently to opt out of a game's "pro" mode.

All Sony has to do to fix this is push an update that allows us to opt out of "pro" mode for these rare cases where we get poorly optimized pro support. A simple added resolution option like "1080p original", "1080p no down sampling", or "1080p base mode" would do fine.

So issues aside there's not much else to say about the PRO. The games that have good Pro support such as TLoU, Uncharted 4, Infamous and Ratchet & Clank look gorgeous on a 4k display. The console itself is much larger than the base ps4, it's similar in size to the original "fat" ps3. It draws less power and runs quieter than the base ps4 when running non-pro titles (similar to the slim) but can reach higher draw when pushing it's limits. It also has optical audio out which is lacking on the slim.

If you're still using a 1080p display like most people than the PRO is currently hard to recommend. It might be a good idea in terms of "future-proofing" but in it's current state the benefits are slim, and when you're making a trade-off for performance in the titles I listed above, it's hard to justify.

If Sony adds the addition to opt-out of "pro" mode for games that have poor support then this would easily be 4-5 stars. This is a premium console, there's no situation where one should REGRET buying it because a specific game performs worse. Give us the option!

Last edited:
I got the One S , meh save your money I was pretty dissapointed in 4k compared to regular bluray upscale. I mean it is better and the sound is better too, but not $30 a better.

Man i'm about to get rid of my Xbox One S period. The lack of 1st party games is pathetic and I already have my PS4 Pro for multi.

Man i'm about to get rid of my Xbox One S period. The lack of 1st party games is pathetic and I already have my PS4 Pro for multi.
Use it as an HTPC. It's better for that, and you already paid for it, so it wouldn't make sense unless you wanted a different HTPC distinctly for a less open-sourced operating system (ex. Apple TV, Roku, TiVo)

I have an OG Day One XB1. I won't get a Scorpio until I have a 4K TV.

I would be very annoyed if future games coming out would run on Scorpio and not on the OG XB1, though

This was my thinking on this I got the Xbox one S over getting the Scorpio I'm sure with what MS will charge for it I could upgrade my pc for less and still have a better rig than the Scorpio provided that is what I want to do

If you have a 4K HDR TV, better to wait for Scorpio.
Although if you don't plan on gaming much, the XB1 S will be enough for a HTPC + 4K Bluray player.

Getting one today purely for the 4k blu-ray player. Never had an xbox before and just wanted a cheap disc player.

Use it as an HTPC. It's better for that, and you already paid for it, so it wouldn't make sense unless you wanted a different HTPC distinctly for a less open-sourced operating system (ex. Apple TV, Roku, TiVo)

Yeah, I use it in the bedroom mostly for Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu, and especially Plex. I won't actually get rid of it. Plus, i enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider, GOW4, Halo 5, Forza 6, Killer Instinct and Sunset Overdrive.

Back