shooting on guys who are southpaw

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by flikerstance, Mar 18, 2017.

1. flikerstance floridaman

flikerstance
    its so awkward shooting a traditional double leg on a southpaw also a sweep single is awkward as well if you have the same stance that's why i go for high head inside singles when i have the same stance but doubles on southpaws become more like blast doubles i only wrestle left leg forward due to how i fight as well.

2. Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Calibur
    I'm sure there is a question in there somewhere lol.

Anyway, if I want to shoot a double when I'm in an open stance (orthodox against southpaw) as opposed to a closed stance (southpaw vs southpaw or orthodox vs orthodox) I take different approaches depending on the sport.

In bjj or wrestling I will clinch and then circle to my left. If I'm properly clinched and I pull them correctly their left leg will come forward putting them in an orthodox stance or a parallel stance. Then I can do a normal double.

If I'm doing MMA I don't try to change their stance. Instead I shoot off a right straight as opposed to shooting off a jab. Just step forward with the right hand and you'll be southpaw for a split second and you can shoot. That takes practice.

Or you can just back them into the cage/ropes where their feet become parallel and you can shoot a normal double.

In Judo (which I suck at) I just have a set of moves I do on southpaws but Judo is weird since I'm Judo a "southpaw stance" is orthodox.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  3. flikerstance floridaman

flikerstance
    its just so awkward shooting a double mma on a lefty i have a great single double against orthodox but my single sucks on southpaws feels so awkward for 10 years iv shot practiced against right handed guys southpaws i usually end up blast doubling its hard to get in deep like your traditional double.

4. biscuitsbrah Black Belt

biscuitsbrah
    Just step with the right hand (MMA)

5. jack36767 Brown Belt

jack36767
    I lead my left leg wrestling.. so 90% of the people I wrestled led their right so I had an open stance matchup..

Singles should be easier because their closer, doubles were a good shot for me and turned into single legs naturally . it's a rep issue dude,just put in reps

Watch Alex Dieringer and GSP for examples

6. Burke72 White Belt

Burke72
    Outside sweep singles are money in open stance, also my favorite time to shoot low singles.

7. Rico #breadheadtopteam

Rico
    I lead right but am actually left handed which paid some dividends in MMA sparring

8. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler
    The only answer is to just practice more on guys who lead with the right leg.

9. davou White Belt

davou
    You need to engage the person and move to force them to backstep or step forward onto the leg you want to shoot on. Or else adapt to a different shot. This is why wrestlers spend so much time shrugging off grips and preventing tieups.

10. jack36767 Brown Belt

jack36767
    Um dude sweep singles are head inside shots

11. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    That's sort of like the JKD idea of having right handed people lead left. It's controversial because most people can't knock someone out with their off hand.

12. Rico #breadheadtopteam

Rico
    My dad taught me to wrestle by actually making me mimic and drill his exact movements (he was a PA state qualifier and I Marine so imagine my childhood lmao) so I ended up wrestling "right handed". He also made me box too (which I still do along with BJJ...Coach MMA) but didn't teach me that himself so I was able to take my "natural" stance. Just a lucky coincidence that it worked out so well for MMA purposes.

I pass guard to the left too so I'm quite the conundrum lol.

13. SummerStriker Black Belt

SummerStriker
    People that pass to the left are annoying.