Television Shogun

Lets face it Omi is a fuckin punk in this he probably pees sitting down. The Omi in the original was fuckin alpha and the gift Blackthorne gave him in the original was awesome and a great scene. This new series has nothing on the og. I have the 5 disc set I wish there was a way to let everyone on here watch it.

Watch the original Shogun with Richard Chamberlain. Its still one of the best made movies ever about japanese culture and they went into a level of detail and authenticity that is breathtaking. The good old times without agenda film making.

I might be a cynic but I expect this movie infused with modern identity politics and far less dedication and respect to the book. The original cast with Chamberlain, Toshiro Mifune , Yoko Shimada and Damien THomas was simply perfect.

You can buy it on blu ray in good quality.

The trailer has few well made scenes and quite some absolute shitty ones. No thanks,
MV5BN2UzODRjOWUtYTBmYS00YzhkLWIzNDItYWUyNTNhYmI4ZmFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzY1MzQyOTY@._V1_.jpg
How could you not give John Rhys-Davies a shout out?

Called chain shot. Used in naval warfare to destroy an enemy ships rigging easier.
I sense a kindred spirit.
I've read and re-read all of the Horatio Hornblower novels by C. S. Forrester and all the Captain Jack Aubrey books by Patrick O'Brien, most of the Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent, and a few other wanna be's as well. They are only equaled by the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cronwell.
Edit* And Dudley Pope's Lord Ramage series is pretty good.

Last edited:

Fujiko was a much prettier consort for Anjin San in the og shogun

She is cute.

Something I found admirable was how good English Yoko Simada spoke. An English that you could easily understand. Considering that over 40 years have passed and English has become a language that is very popular to learn and master, especially in Japan and South Korea, I think that today's actors who speak English in, among other things, Japanese and South Korean TV series are abysmal. An English that cannot be understood as they mumble.

From the wiki.

Shimada was the only female member of Shōgun's massive cast of Japanese actors shown speaking English, for which she relied on a dialogue coach, as she was not fluent in the language at the time. Her English improved greatly during the production.

But her life was probably not so easy later in her career.

In 1988, Shimada had an affair with singer Yuya Uchida, who was married at the time. She reportedly had resorted to alcoholism and appeared in a nude photo book in 1992 in an attempt to clear her personal debts. Though the book was a bestseller, it damaged her reputation as an actress. In 2011, at the age of 58, she starred in an adult video

She is cute.

Something I found admirable was how good English Yoko Simada spoke. An English that you could easily understand. Considering that over 40 years have passed and English has become a language that is very popular to learn and master, especially in Japan and South Korea, I think that today's actors who speak English in, among other things, Japanese and South Korean TV series are abysmal. An English that cannot be understood as they mumble.

From the wiki.

Shimada was the only female member of Shōgun's massive cast of Japanese actors shown speaking English, for which she relied on a dialogue coach, as she was not fluent in the language at the time. Her English improved greatly during the production.

But her life was probably not so easy later in her career.

In 1988, Shimada had an affair with singer Yuya Uchida, who was married at the time. She reportedly had resorted to alcoholism and appeared in a nude photo book in 1992 in an attempt to clear her personal debts. Though the book was a bestseller, it damaged her reputation as an actress. In 2011, at the age of 58, she starred in an adult video

So how are you liking the new one and how do you think it compares to the OG. Ive watched mine many times over the years. I got the box set when it first came out on dvd back in 2004 or 5.

Good to see Kiku the hot naked ho return and go bottomless, but barely showed a partial nipple. Her face is 100x better than Mariko's, who had her boobs blacked out even on HULU. WTF?

Never knew you could shoot chains from a cannon.

The young son and young nephew are too tryhard.
Dunno I think Mariko is pretty cute.

I sense a kindred spirit.
I've read and re-read all of the Horatio Hornblower novels by C. S. Forrester and all the Captain Jack Aubrey books by Patrick O'Brien, most of the Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent, and a few other wanna be's as well. They are only equaled by the Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cronwell.
Edit* And Dudley Pope's Lord Ramage series is pretty good.
I've only read 14 of the Aubrey/Maturin books but mean to finish it soons and want to pick up the HH series.

I'm a big fan of the older version. Chamberlain also had a much more charming appearance that he could realistically make the Japanese women wet. In this version, Cosmo Jarvis looks more like a clueless dog.

Mariko (Yoko Shimada) had an elegance and a way of carrying her body so that it almost floated above the earth. This series' Mariko doesn't even look like a Japanese one, more a mix between a Thai and a Cambodian.
I now watched some and that's what is missing the most for me. Blackthorne won over the Japanese with his sense of pride, resourcefulness, intellect and charme. I don't see any of that with this new Blackthorne. He is just bland.

Mariko is even worse . Nothing of the intellectual sensitive specific Japanese attraction. Instead she acts like an american. Scenery seems great but these two are at the core of everything. Don't think this show will work for me.

In the original Shogun, what naughty things did Kiku the ho do?

How could you not give John Rhys-Davies a shout out?
Sorry, :) Great actor but in Shogun imo he was just ok and not that an important actor: I think he falls behind all other side characters like the Jesuits, Omi, Fujiko...etc. It was too much Rys Davies and not enough portugues navigator for me.

Loving the show. So many great characters.

My favorite character is the scheming Yabushige (Tadanobu Asano). I love his personality and many humorous facial reactions.

Also hope to see more of Rodrigues (an almost unrecognizable Nestor Carbonell). He's another fun character.

Loving the show. So many great characters.

My favorite character is the scheming Yabushige (Tadanobu Asano). I love his personality and many humorous facial reactions.

Also hope to see more of Rodrigues (an almost unrecognizable Nestor Carbonell). He's another fun character.
My wife and I were talking about how fun of a character he is (Yabushige). So far Taraongas song just seems typical in being a high born son trying to step out of his dads shadow.

So how are you liking the new one and how do you think it compares to the OG. Ive watched mine many times over the years. I got the box set when it first came out on dvd back in 2004 or 5.

I really have nothing to complain about except for the 2 main characters in the series.

The fact that they speak Japanese when Japanese people speak was a prerequisite for me to continue watching the series. I didn't know anything about the one who plays Mariko, but after looking up her name, I can understand more why she seems western to me. She was raised in a western environment, and having her in the series was a big mistake in my opinion.

For me main character is rodriguez

Actual mc lacks charisma or "cool" (i have not read books or see earlier adaptations so it might be hes supposed to be a bit stoic)

The first great new prestige TV series in a long time.

Has anyone ever tried natto? Thinking bout adding it to my "delicious meals" ooooooooo

Back