Shift Punching Tips & Techniques

cshireman4

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I have recently made some modifications to my striking game, specifically using more of a shift striking stance. (That probably isn't the correct terminology) I know that Duane Ludwig is a big advocate of this style as well as Lucien Carbin.

I had a lot of success with it last night in sparring, but was wondering if anyone could offer the do's and don'ts or some of the technical flaws to look for. A good example of who I try to emulate is Andy Ristie. Tyrone Spong also implements it well. I like the ease of controlling distance and being able to switch fluidly between southpaw & orthodox. Any good videos, articles, fighters to watch or tips/tricks to further improve my technique would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

You have to be careful, but it's a skill for sure. Here's a simple drill I like to do, take combo and drill it while switching stance each time.
[YT]XtHwyYZkCpw[/YT]
Hope it helps!

That's a really good drill man, thanks.

Here's how my friend Dean Reilly (trainer/ex-fighter at Dinky Ninja Fight Team) teaches it, and I think this is probably a good way to learn the practice. He throws the rear hand normally, with a little step to help the weight transfer, and then makes the shift a dedicated, secondary movement. Much better than simply learning to shift because you can't keep yourself in your original stance. Learn the basic punch, keeping your feet well under your body, and THEN add the shift once you've mastered that.

https://twitter.com/WolverDean_DNFT/status/584305081820049408/video/1

Basically, let it be an option, not a crutch.

Yep agreed. That is why you should have the fundamentals somewhat down(they can always get better) before shifting too much. It's no use shifting as a measure of bracing yourself from a fall, or as a last resort because you are out of balance. That is how you get clocked big time.

For those who are actually interested, here is a great Judo Chop article from BloodyElbow. I respect your opinion, FightingRabbit, but you don't become the first guy to KO Giorgio Petrosyan by luck. I realize emulating Ristie and having his abilities are two very different things. However, I have no aspirations to compete anymore, so it's all to keep things interesting and get my lazy arse in the gym regularly lol

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/28/5151536/giorgio-petrosyan-andy-ristie-robin-van-roosmalen-glory-12-judo-chop-kickboxing-technique-ko-gif

"Footwork

With the tips of your toes somewhat floating, tread firmly with your heels. Whether you move fast or slow, with large or small steps, your feet must always move as in normal walking. I dislike the three walking methods know as "jumping-foot", "floating-foot" and "fixed-steps".

So-called "Yin-Yang foot" is important in the Way. Yin-Yang foot means not moving only one foot. It means moving your feet left-right and right-left when cutting, withdrawing, or warding off a cut. You should not move on one foot preferentially"

http://www.miyamotomusashi.com/gorin.htm

well shogun always does this punch lol im not sure i like the idea of punching with 1 leg off the ground while you switch, but if the leg switch is actually a knee and then you load the now-rear leg kick, that is much more my liking :D I think lawrence kenshin has a video on shifting with tyrone spong

I respect your opinion, FightingRabbit, but you don't become the first guy to KO Giorgio Petrosyan by luck.
This

My advice would be to believe in the technique and figure out ways to make it work in the context of the rest of your game. If you only attack with shift-punches, they'll be obvious and you won't land them on anyone who knows what they're doing. For my money, the best time to throw a shift-punch is as a set-up for a switch kick or knee (just extend one hand while switch-stepping), or when the opponent is circling into it. For example, I've had some success in attacking southpaw, and switching into an orthodox left hook when the opponent circles in the right direction.

Last edited:
For those who are actually interested, here is a great Judo Chop article from BloodyElbow. I respect your opinion, FightingRabbit, but you don't become the first guy to KO Giorgio Petrosyan by luck. I realize emulating Ristie and having his abilities are two very different things. However, I have no aspirations to compete anymore, so it's all to keep things interesting and get my lazy arse in the gym regularly lol

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/28/5151536/giorgio-petrosyan-andy-ristie-robin-van-roosmalen-glory-12-judo-chop-kickboxing-technique-ko-gif

If I didn't have aspirations to compete. I would be sparring like I was a kung fu master so I reckon go for it. Its a lot more fun. But you also have to have pretty good coordination for this style.

IF i am reading this right your are switch hitting or stance switching. While not fundamentally flawed, it can really slow your development in Boxing. On the other hand, it is a necessary skill for kickers since you often end up in the opposite stance.

IF i am reading this right your are switch hitting or stance switching. While not fundamentally flawed, it can really slow your development in Boxing. On the other hand, it is a necessary skill for kickers since you often end up in the opposite stance.

Its even more necessary when stand up grappling/clinching is involved.

I show some in vids I label Neo Striking, and If I call a combo Power 3 Hook etc. if Power they be stepping

My advice: learn to pivot to the right before trying to do a lot of shifting. The motion is similar, but a good pivot keeps you facing your opponent while just trying to shift can leave you out in the cold if they take an angle and move away while you're advancing. The kind of crazy distance coverage Dillashaw used against Barao, for example, wouldn't have worked against a guy like Demetrious Johnson.

Or you use a shift to get power and close distance when the other guy is already out of position. Stanley Ketchel, who basically made this movement famous, used it that way all the time.

FocusedFittingHylaeosaurus.gif

He also got rocked several times while switching in his last fight. No idea how he stayed awake honestly.

You have to be careful, but it's a skill for sure. Here's a simple drill I like to do, take combo and drill it while switching stance each time. [YT]XtHwyYZkCpw[/YT]
Hope it helps!

Here's how my friend Dean Reilly (trainer/ex-fighter at Dinky Ninja Fight Team) teaches it, and I think this is probably a good way to learn the practice. He throws the rear hand normally, with a little step to help the weight transfer, and then makes the shift a dedicated, secondary movement. Much better than simply learning to shift because you can't keep yourself in your original stance. Learn the basic punch, keeping your feet well under your body, and THEN add the shift once you've mastered that.

[YT]vijD09_O8ek[/YT]

good way of nullifying any reach advantage the other guy might have

Last edited:

That's a good method. And you're right, it shouldn't be something you're always doing, but it's good to have it in the tool box ready to go when needed.

embedding doesnt work again

[YT]vijD09_O8ek[/YT]

good way of nullifying any reach advantage the other guy might have

use [ YT ] tags, instead of [ URL ] and just the end bit of the video url, after the v= I'm not sure about twitter videos though!

I see people taking an extra step with shifting when they go back to their normal stance and they square up opening up shots for the opponent.If you learn boxing from both stances you wont have to switch to normal stance.

Appreciate all the info and resources fellas. As always, I have a lot to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back