SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 132 - Miracle Mile

CAN ANYBODY FLY A HELICOPTER?

What an absurd movie. Every moment was hilariously unbelievable. I think it was shooting for real tension and drama but all I got out of it was some campy fun. In that sense it was enjoyable enough. The problem was it failed to establish even rudimentary logic or a passable semblance of reason to make the characters relate-able to real live humans.

I do like that every single actor in the history of the 80's made an appearance. I think even the dude that shot at Goose through his car roof was the same guy who was watching the Smurfs in John Candy's bed in Summer Rental.

I can't say I wasn't entertained. I was. I just think it's not for the reasons the movie intended.

CAN ANYBODY FLY A HELICOPTER?

What an absurd movie. Every moment was hilariously unbelievable. I think it was shooting for real tension and drama but all I got out of it was some campy fun. In that sense it was enjoyable enough. The problem was it failed to establish even rudimentary logic or a passable semblance of reason to make the characters relate-able to real live humans.

I do like that every single actor in the history of the 80's made an appearance. I think even the dude that shot at Goose through his car roof was the same guy who was watching the Smurfs in John Candy's bed in Summer Rental.

I can't say I wasn't entertained. I was. I just think it's not for the reasons the movie intended.

You seen Tucker & Dale?

Can't disagree strongly enough. That shit's resonant, man. The opening meet-cute is fucking incredible - as dorky as it is profound - and it's helped tremendously by that evocative Tangerine Dream score.

You can't go wrong with Tangerine Dream, but it goes much better with good material, like Risky Business or Three O'Clock High. The Tangerine Dream tracks over the key scenes in those films work fantastically. In Miracle Mile, it's a good track that kind of salvages Anthony Edwards following some girl around in some weird combination of dorky and creepy.

No, I've never even heard of it. You recommend?

100%. It's one of those films where the less you know going in the better. I wouldn't even read a description. Just pull it up and enjoy the next hour and a half.

100%. It's one of those films where the less you know going in the better. I wouldn't even read a description. Just pull it up and enjoy the next hour and a half.
I am intrigued, consider it done.

Reminds me of our True Romance discussion. Goose in MM is Clarence. Slightly difference circumstance. :eek::D

You trying to hoist me on my own Miracle Mile petard here? Given my distinction between nerds and geeks, I'd say that Clarence is the geek while Harry is the nerd. Clarence has zero game, he's a hapless/hopeless geek using "I'd fuck Elvis" as his pick-up line, but Harry reeled Julie in at the museum without even talking to her. By the time she found him and said hello to him - and the fact that she was looking for him really says it all - he'd already snagged her :cool:

What an absurd movie. Every moment was hilariously unbelievable. I think it was shooting for real tension and drama but all I got out of it was some campy fun [...] I can't say I wasn't entertained. I was. I just think it's not for the reasons the movie intended.

azge25e.gif

The problem was it failed to establish even rudimentary logic

If you read my essay and @europe1's write-up then you'll realize that this isn't a problem, it's the point. The film doesn't operate according to "rudimentary logic"; it operates according to noir logic:

"Žižek provides a subtle account of the [noir] subject’s relation to the external world as one of despair and alienation, and it is with reference to this aspect of his argument that one may come to understand what he means by noir logic. As assiduously explicated by Andrew Dickos, the main through-line in film noir [...] is 'its psycho-philosophical stance as a modern experience, with the corresponding formal depiction of bleak mood; the hardened and nihilistic attitudes of its characters, with their often obsessive drives; and an aura of hopelessness and doom that envelops their lives.' Žižek understands the noir world similarly as one which reduces the subject to a 'passive observer … witnessing with incredulity the strange, almost submarine, succession of events in which he remains trapped.' This marks (as Dickos elegantly sums up in as precise an articulation of noir logic as one is likely to encounter) the 'impossible division between freedom and entrapment as it reminds us that one cannot truly be defined without the other and that each is the incomplete part of the existential equation befitting the noir world.' This is precisely the noir logic that introduces the 'anamorphic distortion' Žižek finds so curious in classical and post-classical films noir, and his notion of noir logic as against more traditional and rigid understandings of genre can serve not only to stimulate further evolution of the film noir discourse, it can also serve to provide a critical context for a reappraisal of Steve De Jarnatt’s apocalyptic noir thriller, Miracle Mile."

When you enter the world of Miracle Mile, you leave the "rudimentary" world behind ;)

or a passable semblance of reason to make the characters relate-able to real live humans.

giphy.gif

Harry finding the girl of his dreams doesn't resonate with you? Wilson trying to save his sister and then begging Harry to kill him after she dies so that he can catch up with her isn't one of the most painfully human moments you've ever witnessed in the cinema?

You know, I was just joking with the whole Angel Heart/@MusterX thing about you not having a heart, but now I'm not sure that it isn't true...

You can't go wrong with Tangerine Dream, but it goes much better with good material, like Risky Business or Three O'Clock High.

Or Vision Quest. Tell me you at least consider Vision Quest good material. I don't think my heart could take someone dissing both Miracle Mile and Vision Quest.

You trying to hoist me on my own Miracle Mile petard here? Given my distinction between nerds and geeks, I'd say that Clarence is the geek while Harry is the nerd. Clarence has zero game, he's a hapless/hopeless geek using "I'd fuck Elvis" as his pick-up line, but Harry reeled Julie in at the museum without even talking to her. By the time she found him and said hello to him - and the fact that she was looking for him really says it all - he'd already snagged her :cool:

I was thinking in terms of a dork meeting a girl and the next day risking his for her and playing the hero.

I was thinking in terms of a dork meeting a girl and the next day risking his for her and playing the hero.

I'm with you. Just doing my nerd thing and analyzing the fine grains.

Was considering Vision Quest for a SMC theme, but nothing's come up.

The only reason that Vision Quest wasn't my Battle Royale pick this time is because Miracle Mile has been with me longer so it has "seniority." But Vision Quest is another very special movie to me. Unless I think of something else between now and the next Battle Royale - or, obviously, unless we watch it for the club somewhere in between - there's a very good chance that Vision Quest will be my next Battle Royale nomination.

Or Vision Quest. Tell me you at least consider Vision Quest good material. I don't think my heart could take someone dissing both Miracle Mile and Vision Quest.

Vision Quest was good. I think every high school wrestler trains or walks out to Lunatic Fringe because of that movie.

If I thought you didn't like Vision Quest, I just don't think I could bear it.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
In 2008, BAFTA bestowed upon Miracle Mile the award for "Biggest Lurch of Tone." Shit goes from the beginning of a relationship to the extinction of the human race: Now that's a fucking movie :eek:

I was going to try to think of a movie which such a change in tone or a similar change in tone but couldn't really do it. There is an air of sunniness and hope in the opening scenes of Miracle Mile and then it closes in thick darkness. There is a particular scene where Harry is narrating about the miracle mile and it shows the trolley from a time long past as it winds its way through the miracle mile. Its followed by a scene where Harry goes to the park on a sunny day in his pursuit of Julie and they meet her grandparents who, even though they haven't spoken in 15 years, still love one another. That scene even contains stopping off for a nice hot dog. If it had Baseball in the background it could have just as easily been the introduction to a Superman movie.

I didn't realize during the movie that there is a connection there to be made between the old trolley from an era that has now past, to the idea that humanity was living in a new era, even on borrowed time if you like, just like that old trolley. The idea was there in the narration but cleverly hidden because we don't know where the movie is going. The trolley is extinct, its down to the last of its kind, surrounded by a modern city. The viewer sees the rise and fall of all the organisms leading up to Mankind at the start of the film and then the film itself captures that singular moment of calamity called an extinction event and just like the dinosaurs we would never see it coming.

Same here, especially with Julie going at him ("What is the truth, Harry?"), but then, on the other hand, there's a sinister undercurrent to the dialogue that's telling you: They're not going to be so lucky. As I put it in my essay:

"Julie does her best to be optimistic and convince Harry that everything had been a tragic misunderstanding and that everything was going to be okay, but discernible in both of their faces is the wish for this to be true despite the knowledge that it is not, a sentiment reinforced aurally by the sounds of the ticking clocks surrounding them and capped off visually by Harry, who only joins Julie to surrender themselves to the police after picking up an hourglass and placing it on the shelf with all of the sand on the bottom, another indicator that time has run out for this Don Quixote and his Dulcinea."

Sticking with this scene: My favorite part is how, even as you're hoping against hope that everything will work out, that the world isn't going to end, when you see those ropes swinging as the SWAT guys book it, it creates such a sinking feeling in your stomach because now it's all but impossible to believe that things are going to work out.

I didn't pick up on the hourglass thing while watching the film because I didn't know where the film was going. I saw him pick up the hourglass and put it on the shelf and thought, he didn't turn it over like most people would, he just left all the sand in the bottom and walked away.

As far as the SWAT guy coming down the rope and then running away, I thought what dicks his fellow officers were, they burned out of there and left him behind without even waiting 10 seconds. It was that moment in the film where it seems like this is really happening but even so, I still thought, nah, its all going to turn out to be a fat nothing burger and what a shame Wilson and his sister got killed over it.

Great minds think alike. From my essay:

"The aptness of the [film's] title extends to the miracle of humanity’s contingent existence as the result of millions of years of evolution, and the setting of the film—right in the middle of, on the one hand, the La Brea Tar Pits and the museums that provide the final resting place for a multitude of extinct species, and, on the other hand, the thriving contemporary American society representative of the vitality of life itself—contributes a tragic irony that will display its full effect in the film’s final sequence."

On top of which: It starts with a "big bang" and ends with another one :cool:

Excellent comparison of the Big Bang that begins everything and the nuclear warhead bang that ends everything. The fact that we would not see it coming until it was too late is what makes extinction level events scary. Asteroids, nuclear war, biological meltdowns, etc. are scary because the majority of people who never take the time to think about these things are going along believing that this thing we call civilization is just going to stretch on to infinity and the cold harsh reality of history seems to indicate that just isn't true. 99.9% of every species that has ever existed is now extinct. Let that sink in some, 99.9%. The end of the film presents us with this dark message and even if its not a nuclear war that gets us, you can rest assured that the likelihood of something "getting us" is going to happen at some point, be it an ice-age or a comet or a dozen other possibilities.

I think I'm with you, but I'd hit that last point harder: Survival of the fittest is in there, but I think that the point of its being there is to indicate not just that Harry isn't fit to survive but that we all, that humans, aren't fit to - and won't - survive. It's a dark ass film in that respect - that's the noir of it.

I think that was the entire point of the Fermi Paradox was that there would be some hurdle, either through a roadblock in evolution, or a technological implication, that would stop the vast majority of civilizations from ever becoming space faring and trying to prevent itself from going extinct by spreading to other planets. The problem is we don't know what that hurdle is and it may not even be a hurdle that can be cleared. Or, perhaps, the hurdle is that the evolution of creatures to highly intelligent beings is so rare, that is the hurdle, in which case we already cleared it.

As I write in one of the footnotes in my essay (citing Vern from that blog post of his that I linked to):

"In his review of Miracle Mile, Vern perspicaciously points out how, 'These days nuclear war seems like kind of an abstract threat. If anything we’re concerned about some fanatics stealing a bomb and setting it off somewhere. That’s a terrifying idea but back then ‘mutually assured destruction’ was pretty much assumed—if one went off then a whole bunch went off, fired back and forth between two sides until everybody’s dead.' While the narrative stays within the U.S. and limits itself to one particular city, the implications, as Harry well knows, are apocalyptic in the full sense of the word."

Harry was aware that this cycle of life and death and extinction events just repeats itself which is why he said, "I think its the insects turn." The dinosaurs had their turn, and humanity had its turn, and now its the insects turn, and someday, someone will dig he and Julie's bodies out of the pit and put them in a museum. Then the film fades to black as Harry and Julie die. Have you ever heard of dense darkness? Its the idea that the angels that sinned against God and were fallen were sealed away until the end of time in a dense darkness. Not just in darkness, but a dense darkness.

The idea here is that they were cut off from the illumination of God, hence a dense darkness. Harry and Julie believed they were going to fade to black, forever and ever, and that is what happens when one is cut off from the light of God. I don't want to turn this into a religion discussion but its really hard not to make the comparison between the secular view of death and the religious view of death when watching a film like Miracle Mile. No matter what you believe, the entire message of the film is quite sobering actually.

Carpe diem Bullitt.

My main reaction is meh!

Probably my fault for watching it after happy hour. And my hubby was being particularly sexy that evening so I kept getting distracted with him.

Had a fun evening, but not really coz of the film :oops: Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future....

My main reaction is meh!

Probably my fault for watching it after happy hour. And my hubby was being particularly sexy that evening so I kept getting distracted with him.

Had a fun evening, but not really coz of the film :oops: Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future....

Miracle Mile time and sexy time must be kept separate. I'm glad that you had a fun evening and all...

giphy.gif

...but your viewing of Miracle Mile is disqualified on sex grounds. As for next time:

C8qA.gif

Take heart! I enjoyed the flick in some ways, and you are still money in my book, even after this minor setback :)

If you read my essay and @europe1's write-up then you'll realize that this isn't a problem, it's the point. The film doesn't operate according to "rudimentary logic"; it operates according to noir logic:

"Žižek provides a subtle account of the [noir] subject’s relation to the external world as one of despair and alienation, and it is with reference to this aspect of his argument that one may come to understand what he means by noir logic. As assiduously explicated by Andrew Dickos, the main through-line in film noir [...] is 'its psycho-philosophical stance as a modern experience, with the corresponding formal depiction of bleak mood; the hardened and nihilistic attitudes of its characters, with their often obsessive drives; and an aura of hopelessness and doom that envelops their lives.' Žižek understands the noir world similarly as one which reduces the subject to a 'passive observer … witnessing with incredulity the strange, almost submarine, succession of events in which he remains trapped.' This marks (as Dickos elegantly sums up in as precise an articulation of noir logic as one is likely to encounter) the 'impossible division between freedom and entrapment as it reminds us that one cannot truly be defined without the other and that each is the incomplete part of the existential equation befitting the noir world.' This is precisely the noir logic that introduces the 'anamorphic distortion' Žižek finds so curious in classical and post-classical films noir, and his notion of noir logic as against more traditional and rigid understandings of genre can serve not only to stimulate further evolution of the film noir discourse, it can also serve to provide a critical context for a reappraisal of Steve De Jarnatt’s apocalyptic noir thriller, Miracle Mile."

When you enter the world of Miracle Mile, you leave the "rudimentary" world behind ;)
I haven't read your essay (I will try to take the time to do so later). You've got my attention, but I'm not really convinced. I'm fine with the creative re-imagining of basic plausibility as long as the characters delivering the message are convincing. The attempted gravitas was lost on me here, because all the pivotal moments were written on vapor, and Edwards couldn't make it work. The supporting cast couldn't make it work. Maybe I needed it to take itself a little less seriously. A little more Big Trouble In Little China and a little less Escape From New York, if that makes sense.

giphy.gif

Harry finding the girl of his dreams doesn't resonate with you? Wilson trying to save his sister and then begging Harry to kill him after she dies so that he can catch up with her isn't one of the most painfully human moments you've ever witnessed in the cinema?

You know, I was just joking with the whole Angel Heart/@MusterX thing about you not having a heart, but now I'm not sure that it isn't true...
Bubba stopped his car for a lunatic waving his gun in the streets while toting a trunkload of stolen goods. Then proceeded to stay with the guy for no apparent reason and with no identifiable motivation to trust him when he could have hauled ass at the gas station. Then sprayed gas on some cops and swore it wasn't his fault when they set themselves on fire. No, Bubba Gump wasn't even believable as a character, let alone sympathetic. I think there was material there to work with, but it wasn't given enough time or interesting enough dialogue to connect with me.

Vision Quest is an all time great, untouchable 80's classic!

I didn't pick up on the hourglass thing while watching the film because I didn't know where the film was going. I saw him pick up the hourglass and put it on the shelf and thought, he didn't turn it over like most people would, he just left all the sand in the bottom and walked away.
I had an honest to goodness auditory hallucination of all the clocks sounding off "cuckoo, cuckoo" at that point in the movie. :D

Back