SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Week 123 - Stalker

JayPettryMMA

Danger Zone Aficionado
Staff member
Forum Administrator
Reaction score
NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info!

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

jei's Note: Like the Week 124 vote thread, this is a temporary stopgap to help out. I'm not the Captain now.

Stalker (1979)

4658-STALKER_B.jpg

Our Director
245px-Andrei_Tarkovsky.jpg

Andrei Tarkovsky
Andrei Arsenyevich Tarkovsky (Russian: Андре́й Арсе́ньевич Тарко́вский, IPA: [ɐnˈdrʲej ɐrˈsʲenʲjɪvʲɪtɕ tɐrˈkofskʲɪj]; 4 April 1932 – 29 December 1986) was a Russian filmmaker, writer, film editor, film theorist, theatre and opera director.

Tarkovsky's films include Ivan's Childhood (1962), Andrei Rublev (1966), Solaris (1972), Mirror (1975), and Stalker (1979). He directed the first five of his seven feature films in the Soviet Union; his last two films, Nostalghia (1983) and The Sacrifice (1986), were produced in Italy and Sweden, respectively. His work is characterized by long takes, unconventional dramatic structure, distinctly authored use of cinematography, and spiritual and metaphysical themes.

Tarkovsky's works Andrei Rublev, Solaris, Mirror, and Stalker are regularly listed among the greatest films of all time. His contribution to cinema was so influential that works done in a similar way are described as Tarkovskian. Ingmar Bergman said of him:

"Tarkovsky for me is the greatest (director), the one who invented a new language, true to the nature of film, as it captures life as a reflection, life as a dream."

Contrarily, however, Bergman conceded the truth in the claim made by a critic who wrote that "with Autumn Sonata Bergman does Bergman", adding, "Tarkovsky began to make Tarkovsky films, and that Fellini began to make Fellini films [...] Buñuel nearly always made Buñuel films."

Our Star
Alexander_Kaidanovsky.jpg

Alexander Kaidanovsky

Film Overview: It's the 192 ranked movie of all time on IMDB, with a 8.1 score. Released in 1979, this Sci-Fi Drama lasts a svelte 2 hours and 42 minutes.
Premise: A guide leads two men through an area known as the Zone to find a room that grants wishes.
Budget: 1,000,000 Soviet Rubles
Box Office: ???

Trivia
(Courtesy of IMDB)

* According to the film's sound designer Vladimir Sharun, at least 3 members of the crew (including director Andrei Tarkovsky) died as a result of chemical contamination encountered on location in Estonia.

* The Zone of the film was inspired by a nuclear accident that took place near Chelyabinsk in 1957. Several hundred square kilometers were polluted by fallout and abandoned. There was no official mention of this "forbidden zone" at the time.

* This film averages a new camera shot every 88 seconds. It contains 142 shots in 163 minutes, with an average shot length of more than one minute and many shots lasting for more than four minutes.

* The film was initially shot on Kodak 5247 stock. This film stock was newer to Soviet laboratories of the time and some of the original negatives were destroyed by a processing error at the laboratory. Part of the film was shot again with a new cinematographer, Aleksandr Knyazhinskiy. This contributed to the film's two-part narrative structure.

* It is said that the rushes of the first version of the film were kept by editor Lyudmila Feyginova in her home for years. They were destroyed by a fire that also claimed her life.

* To allow changes to the color tone of a long strip of film over an extended take, director Andrei Tarkovsky built a long film processing vat which had different temperatures along the way.

* When the Stalker is referred to as 'Chingachgook' and 'Leatherstocking,' these are references to characters in James Fenimore Cooper's novel "The Last of the Mohicans."

* The poetry of Arseny Tarkovsky (father of director Andrei Tarkovsky) inspires much of this film.

* This film inspired video game developer GSC Game World to create STALKER:Shadow of Chernobyl. The game puts players into the role of a stalker who must navigate The Zone looking for answers to his amnesia.

* Towards the end of the movie, the Stalker's wife smokes cigarettes from a carton that bears the same AT (Andrei Tarkovsky) insignia as the policeman's helmet.

* The insignia on the police officers' helmet features two letters: AT, the initials of the director, Andrei Tarkovsky.

* Tarkovsky wanted to abandon further work on the film multiple times.

* The central part of the film, in which the characters travel within the Zone, was shot in a few days at two deserted hydro power plants on the Jägala river near Tallinn, Estonia.
Members: @europe1 @MusterX @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Cubo de Sangre @sickc0d3r @FrontNakedChoke @AndersonsFoot @Tufts @Coolthulu @Yotsuya @jei @LHWBelt @ArtemV @Bullitt68 @Deus Ex Machina

Tapped out 2 hours in. My God, what a waste of those two hours. Had to finish off season 3 of Preacher just to wash away the taste of it.

Tapped out 2 hours in. My God, what a waste of those two hours. Had to finish off season 3 of Preacher just to wash away the taste of it.

745760.gif

Tarkovsky is never going to appeal to everybody doe. I can understand some people finding him to be a major drag. For me he's one of the GOAT's though. Maybe

* This film inspired video game developer GSC Game World to create STALKER:Shadow of Chernobyl. The game puts players into the role of a stalker who must navigate The Zone looking for answers to his amnesia.

Those games are awesome btw

Tarkovsky is never going to appeal to everybody doe. I can understand some people finding him to be a major drag. For me he's one of the GOAT's though

Don't know about his body of work. This film though was painfully boring.

Don't know about his body of work. This film though was painfully boring.

You'd probably find the rest of his work boring as well. He has his style. Nostalghia for example has like, iirc, a 9 minute, uninterrupted shot of a man trying to walk a candle from one end of an empty pool to the other without the flame blowing out

My wifi blew out on me. Thanks to jei for the help!

Will gush about this movie once it goes back online.

I'm guesing over half of all the people discussing this one will be non-members<45>

Oh boy. Was not a fan. Took too long for nothing to happen. The shots were pretty, The acting was fine but nothing happened and I was really, really bored! It sure built a mood... just not one that I wanted to be a part of. Yikes. I’m curious to see what everyone else thinks. It was so slow that I stopped caring :(

You'd probably find the rest of his work boring as well. He has his style. Nostalghia for example has like, iirc, a 9 minute, uninterrupted shot of a man trying to walk a candle from one end of an empty pool to the other without the flame blowing out

Yep. If that's his style then count me out. No clue how anyone could find that type of work interesting. But hey, I like some pretty unpopular "music".

My wifi blew out on me. Thanks to jei for the help!

Will gush about this movie once it goes back online.

I'm guesing over half of all the people discussing this one will be non-members<45>

So far your members are 0/2 bud.

So Solaris next, obvy.

So, the Russian Woody Harrelson, the Russian Robert Duval, and The Russian Ian McKellan (ok, that's a stretch), walk into a bar...
"Let's make a film about nothing!".
"Nothing??"

JadedAdeptDugong-small.gif

Just kidding. I knew @Cubo de Sangre was going to hate this once I saw it, lol. Surprised by @Tufts , though. I can totally see how it would bore someone who isn't in the right state of mind going in. Sorry you two!

For me, Stalker is a beautiful film that is difficult to intellectualize, I think because it rarely attempts to explain itself. Instead, it unfolds onto the viewer's mind like an unconscious thought. The camera's lens slowly and deliberately investigates every soggy detail, every weathered facial expression, every crease and crack in the concrete and metallic bleakness, every ripple and every ember. The sounds add an even higher dimension of hypnotic, trance inducing beauty. Dripping and gurgling water, clicking and clacking machines, soft rustling wind, and the elegant Russian dialogue. Just mesmerizing, I loved it. I have never experienced anything like this film. It feels like a meditation. It lulled me into exactly what the Stalker describes as most alive; a soft and pliable human. I'm not certain of what it is meant to say, but I'd be comfortable labeling it a masterpiece. It didn't seem to want to impress anything particularly onto the viewer, instead allowing the viewer to pull their own threads of meaning as they choose.

I think a main underlying theme was faith. The imagery was highly religious. The Zone was guarded by leaning telephone poles that looked like crucifixes. Religious artifacts could be seen in the long, panning shots of water near the building. The Writer at one point donned a crown of thorns. The Writer was a nihilist, and the Stalker was man searching for people of faith, maybe because faith was his only escape from the bleak reality of his life. Considering the astonishing final two minutes of the film, it is certain that he is a true believer in the Zone and the Room.

I'll wait to hear other members takes before I go into any further detail on the characters themselves. I think it could be interesting to discuss motivations for going to the Room, and ultimate decisions not to enter. Not to mention the meaning of Monkey.

So, the Russian Woody Harrelson, the Russian Robert Duval, and The Russian Ian McKellan (ok, that's a stretch), walk into a bar...
"Let's make a film about nothing!".
"Nothing??"

JadedAdeptDugong-small.gif

Funny-Animal-Laughing-Sea-Lion-Picture.jpg

I couldn't unsee that guy as Woody Harrelson.

I'm planning on rewatching this tonight and then hopefully I'll be able to post about it in here tomorrow or Friday. In the meantime, in response to @Cubo de Sangre, @Tufts, and any other people in here who are dipping their toes in the Tarkovsky pool for the first time: I started off absolutely hating Tarkovsky. Now, I just think that he's massively overrated. I no longer hate him, though.

I've always been fond of Ivan's Childhood, which is up there with Orson Welles' Citizen Kane and John Huston's The Maltese Falcon as far as GOAT debuts go, it's just insane what an amazing film he was able to make right out of the gate; Andrei Rublev is the most boring movie that I've ever seen and the only movie in the last decade that I've fallen asleep to (though, to give @moreorless87 and @Rimbaud82 massive wood, while I was picking up Stalker at my local library, I also grabbed Andrei Rublev to give it another chance); Solaris is far and away Tarkovsky's best work; Mirror is insufferably self-indulgent nonsense with a few cool shots; still haven't seen Nostalghia; and The Sacrifice is a lame attempt by Tarkovsky to imitate Bergman. Of all of his films, Stalker is the most curious case for me. The first time that I watched it, I hated it and found it so boring that I ended up doing more fast-forwarding than watching once I got past the halfway mark. The second time that I watched it, however, I found myself hypnotized by it and I was able to appreciate its majesty.

I'm looking forward to seeing what my third viewing will bring.

I can see what you boys are all saying. I could tell a lot of though went into making the movies. I could buy into it being meditative....I guess it is just an indication of my shallowness when it comes to movies that I like to be entertained. I read a book in grad school about a lady in an apartment who ate a cockroach. The book opened with her looking at the cockroach. She watched it and thought about it for 200+ pages and she eventually ate it, the only action in the story, an action I predicted when I read the first page. This movie reminded me of that book! LOL!

I can see what you boys are all saying. I could tell a lot of though went into making the movies. I could buy into it being meditative....I guess it is just an indication of my shallowness when it comes to movies that I like to be entertained. I read a book in grad school about a lady in an apartment who ate a cockroach. The book opened with her looking at the cockroach. She watched it and thought about it for 200+ pages and she eventually ate it, the only action in the story, an action I predicted when I read the first page. This movie reminded me of that book! LOL!

I just don't have the attention span for this kind of thing.

AVha.gif

I tried, guys

<Prem974>

Back