SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB: Let's pick the Week 69 movie!

Cycle 4 / Week 7: Pick the movie!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Guestx

NOTE to NON-MEMBERS: Interested in joining the SHERDOG MOVIE CLUB? Shoot me a PM for more info.

Here's a quick list of all movies watched by the SMC. Or if you prefer, here's a more detailed examination.

@Coolthulu is up this week and his nominations are surprisingly not as weird as I thought they would be.

Here are our candidates!

A History of Violence (2005)

Director: David Cronenberg

Stars: Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello, Ed Harris

Premise: A mild-mannered man becomes a local hero through an act of violence, which sets off repercussions that will shake his family to its very core.

Why @Coolthulu picked it: Often referred to as Cronenberg's first "normal movie". A simple but flawless story which had me hooked almost immediately. Exceptional performances by Viggo Mortensen & William Hurt. A beautifully shot film which has pulsating sequences of absolute carnage side by side with quiet mesmerizing scenes.

Trailer:

Bronson (2008)

Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

Stars: Tom Hardy, Kelly Adams, Luing Andrews

Premise: A young man who was sentenced to seven years in prison for robbing a post office ends up spending three decades in solitary confinement. During this time, his own personality is supplanted by his alter-ego, Charles Bronson.

Why @Coolthulu picked it: Tom Hardy's signature performance in my opinion. He effortlessly shows off the different facets of Bronson’s personality that make him so perversely fascinating and so deeply contradictory. As a surreal exploration of one man’s madness, Bronson succeeds wildly.

Trailer:

Evil a.k.a. Ondskan (2003)

Director: Mikael Håfström

Stars: Andreas Wilson, Henrik Lundström, Gustaf Skarsgård

Premise: Erik Ponti's home life is a nightmare. His abusive stepfather subjects him to systematic beatings while his terrified mother turns a blind eye. When Erik (Andreas Wilson) is expelled from school for pummeling an innocent boy, he is sent to an elite boarding school that seems the picture of tranquility. But the school is run by a brutal group of upperclassmen who routinely beat and humiliate weaker students.

Why @Coolthulu picked it: A piercing & morally complex coming of age film. It floored me with an intensely compelling performance from Andreas Wilson. Dude is a brooding cross between Leonardo DiCaprio & James Dean. As Erik Ponti, he is not a man to be trifled with, for it will result in unpalatable happenings.

Trailer:

The Raid 2 (2014)

Director: Gareth Evans

Stars: Iko Uwais, Yayan Ruhian, Arifin Putra

Premise: Only a short time after the first raid, Rama goes undercover with the thugs of Jakarta and plans to bring down the syndicate and uncover the corruption within his police force.

Why @Coolthulu picked it: A huge improvement in both technical execution and storytelling over its predecessor. An endless barrage of groin-grabbingly transcendent fight scenes. Need I say more?

Trailer:

7wGeEM5.jpg

Members: @shadow_priest_x @europe1 @iThrillhouse @chickenluver @jeicex @MusterX @Coolthulu @Scott Parker 27 @the muntjac @Caveat @FierceRedBelt @RabidJesus

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen all of these... so I'm completely directionless in how to vote.

Also, Triangle write up will have to wait until the weekend. Summers ending and work is starting and all that.

I've seen all of these... so I'm completely directionless in how to vote.

Also, Triangle write up will have to wait until the weekend. Summers ending and work is starting and all that.

I was looking forward to you either liking the film or tearing it to shreds tonight.

<DCrying>

Well this one looks to be over, but I can't call it yet because there's still technically a chance for a tie.

Niiiiice.

Just saw The Raid pretty recently and have been saving the second for a rainy day.

I'm about to roll this shit, and I have to say, I have some misgivings about the fact that it's 2 1/2 hours long.

I've never known an action movie to need 2 1/2 hours to tell a story.

I'm about to roll this shit, and I have to say, I have some misgivings about the fact that it's 2 1/2 hours long.

I've never known an action movie to need 2 1/2 hours to tell a story.

There's quite a bit more plot than the first.

Curious to hear if people prefer that or find it distracting.

Back