Seth MacFarlane's THE ORVILLE (Season 3 Coming to Hulu)

I was thinking of Star Trek: Discovery while driving a while ago and thought about its LGBT main characters. But homosexuality is not that shocking anymore and is normal in the Star Trek universe.

So I thought of what if a character is trans-species. That would be something new, bold and create some drama and tension in the story. I think The Orville should snatch up this opportunity and be the first to do it before Star Trek does.
This weeks episode was pretty close to what you were wanting. Not a new character, but they addressed some major LGBT issues in the episode, and actually pulled it off, without being preachy. I hope they continue focusing on the more sci fi and social issues of old school TNG, and keep the comedy to a few moments, instead of trying to always inject it.

It's ok.. But like seth, it wants to.be serious, but it can't, because b.s. ranch shock comedy got it to the dance. Seth is a genius who wants to create, but all he does is spoof. Shame.

He should say fk it, and go more serious tone.. Ditch the fast talking bitch sounding dialogue he's lived off, and actually have the courage to be real.

The best part of Episode 3 was that they took a loss. It was very Star Trek of them. I'm not sure if I'm sticking with it though. I wanted a mix between TNG and Galaxy Quest. Not one or the other.

Couldn't get through the first ep will give it another go if I'm bored

I hope they continue focusing on the more sci fi and social issues of old school TNG, and keep the comedy to a few moments, instead of trying to always inject it.
I'm the opposite, I want more humor to offset the serious stuff.

For now, if I have to change one actor, it would have to be the best friend/helmsman. He just seems so ordinary looking and bland.

Grimes is an incredible singer and insane voice actor. I hope they cut him loose and let him go nuts with voices

Checked out the third episode. Really good TNG knock-off stuff. I don't mean that as a slight either. It's a shameless knock-off, but I gotta give them props for developing it's universe, and fleshing out it's different factions and characters, and putting a lot of effort into it's plots. It really is just a love letter to Star Trek, but it's a good one.

That said, I'm trying not to get too attached to it, because I don't see it lasting. I can't imagine the Macfalane fans who tuned in initially for the laughs, are all that satisfied with it and sticking around.

Long time hard core trekkie checking in.

I watched the 1st episode, liked it a lot. They really nailed the ST vibe.

But I am wondering how far the show can go as a straight up comedy... Maybe if they reduce the silly comedy and mix exciting and cerebral moments with the comedy.

I usually hate anything MacFarlane does, but I didn't mind his acting at all here.

Just binged the first 3 episodes. I love it. Hope it sticks around.

4th episode wasn't even remotely funny. But it was lead in a classic TNG way, without the Prime Directive. I liked it but I feel the show is already beginning to stall. Not giving up yet. Nice Liam Neeson cameo too!

You can really tell that Seth and the producers are knowledgeable fans of the genre and care about what they're doing. Even with the fart jokes.

Optimistic for the rest... I heard they went full SJW on the 3rd ep but I am hoping it's not too overt and terrible.

I'm the opposite, I want more humor to offset the serious stuff.
I am kind of luke warm on this show for this reason. When I saw the commercials, I was hoping for something on the level of Galaxy Quest. This is definitely not that, but I am trying to give it a chance to see if it improves.

The 4th episode was pleasant. Glad they moved away from the heavy stuff from the last episode. Finally, Isaac does (or asks to be specific) something awkward and inappropriate. But Star Trek: Discovery's Lt. Saru is what I wished how Isaac would act and talk.

Lol at the cameo.

Back