Serious question. When signing to challenge for the belt...

JohnOates

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Is their a clause that says if you win you must defend your belt in xxx months, against an opponent of our (UFC) choosing?

If not, why do you think not? Surely anyone hungry and finally getting a title shot will sign to that.

If they refuse, screw them.

UFC championship clause:

“if, at the expiration of the Term, Fighter is then UFC champion, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) one (1) year from the Termination Date; or (ii) the date on which Fighter has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by ZUFFA following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any references to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the Extension Term, where applicable.”

Basically you can interpret this as a one term extension, or extensions in perpetuity if you interpret "term" to include all subsequent "extension terms". It is legally ambiguous.

Did you watch McNeverDefend?

Pretty sure we've seen the answer to that question.

UFC championship clause:

“if, at the expiration of the Term, Fighter is then UFC champion, the Term shall be automatically extended for a period commencing on the Termination Date and ending on the earlier of (i) one (1) year from the Termination Date; or (ii) the date on which Fighter has participated in three (3) bouts promoted by ZUFFA following the Termination Date (”Extension Term”). Any references to the Term herein shall be deemed to include a reference to the Extension Term, where applicable.”
My head just exploded

My head just exploded

It basically means if your contract expired when you're UFC champ, the contract gets automatically extended for either 1 year or 3 more fights, whichever one finishes first. Whether this is a one time extension or keeps on auto-extending forever as long as you're champ is left ambiguous on purpose.

It basically means if your contract expired when you're UFC champ, the contract gets automatically extended for either 1 year or 3 more fights, whichever one finishes first. Whether this is a one time extension or keeps on auto-extending forever as long as you're champ is left ambiguous on purpose.
Thanks. So they are kinda leaving themselves open to Champs holding up divisions

Thanks. So they are kinda leaving themselves open to Champs holding up divisions

Only if they don't strip you, which they won't do for anyone not named Conor McGOAT. They didn't even do it for GSP when he wanted to take time out.

Back