Serious Movie Discussion XLII

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are making me feel bad for laughing at the brain damaged guy in Crippled Avengers.

Ok so I really want to see this, but I read online that there is a 144 min cut and a 167 min cut, and I can't find any more info about what the differences are, why the shorter cut was made, anything like that. When it was playing near me it said it was the 144 min cut, so I was gonna hold off on seeing it until I knew what was going on.

Could you shed some light on this? How long was the version you saw? I read that some countries with strict censorship cut much of the sexually graphic material out, but I don't think that's what the 144 min cut is. If I had to guess the 167 cut was what premiered at Cannes, and the 144 min cut is the wide theatrical release, but I want to know if Park cut it himself or if the distributors forced the cut.

It was the theatrical cut. 2 h & 25 m. The sexually graphic material was something else. It got creative and wonderfully weird. More than enough haha. There were some hilarious reactions from the screening I was in. Holy Shit. You gotta check it out man. ASAP. I don't know much about the behind the scenes stuff because I went in blind. I just knew the director & was like..... fuck it....I'm in haha.

I just knew the director & was like..... fuck it....I'm in haha.
Yeah same. It's great when a director comes out with a new film and you've gotta see it without even knowing anything about it or the reviews or anything.

Park's one of the few who does that for me.

've only seen the first one but I enjoyed it... for all the wrong reasons

I actually remember the action scenes in the first Skirts movie to be quite riveting. They had that 80's hardness to them. It was produced by Jackie Chan, and you can definitively see his influence in the crazy stunt-work. And the group dynamic was fun as well. It was a good movie.

The sequels are uninspired cash-graps though. And they mostly just fill-out the run-time by giving Sandra Ng a bunch of unfunny skits to do. Hence my acrimony towards her.

It's a pretty stacked cast, total over-the-top ridiculousness but it's highly entertaining with some really cool and unique fight scenes

My go-to movie concerning such an assembly of HK starlets is Golden Queen's Commando's from 1982, headed by an eye-patch wearing Brigitte Lin. It's an hilarious B-movie with an Dirty Dozen-esque premise. They pretty much rip-off every movie in existence in that film. It's practically spot-the-rip-off, the movie!

queens1eg3.jpg

It doesn't help that imdb doesn't have pictures up for 97% of HK actors, even some of the big name ones.

Yeah the HK and Taiwanese section on IMDB is a bit of a mess. But to compensate for that the Hong Kong movie database and hkcinemagic are really extensive and informative though.

I've even corrected IMDB myself on a few occasions. IMDB used to list the directors Chiang Ping-han and Joseph Kuo (whom made the Bronzmen movies) as two diffrent people, when in fact Chiang Ping-han was a pseudonym that Joseph Kuo tended to use from time-to-time, which I had learnt by browsing HKMDB and Hkcinemagic. So I reported the error and now their pages have been moved into one, because of my nagging.

God I'm such a nerd:eek:

Speaking of cultural differences/barriers, I just watched How To Pick Girls Up (1988) this afternoon... In one scene they're in a restaurant surrounded by gangsters, and they translated the word gangsters into the "N" word...:eek: It was a My Lucky Stars style comedy about these four guys trying to pick up women... as you can imagine it was horribly dated, and not the least bit politically correct.

Wait... was that just the translators having a piss or was that due to some unsavoriness on the films part?:confused:

Always fun to see what Asians imagine American cities to be like.

As for instance, this scene in Godzilla Final Wars from 2004. :rolleyes:

I played a Czech mod for Fallout 2 this year where they used the word Mexican as synonymous with Gangster. Ah yes these.... things that happen.:rolleyes:

@europe1 and @BeardotheWeirdo: I'm going to try to see if I can sneak in a mega post this weekend, but in the meantime, I just wanted to quickly ask, based on what you've been talking about, if you'd mind throwing out your lists of a) the best female martial arts stars and b) the best movies of theirs. I know most of the big names, but the names are pretty much as far as it goes. I'd like to broaden my HK martial arts movie horizons, and sadly, that's quite a blindspot for me.

Also, for any Pumping Iron fans (which might as well read "for all non-girly men"): This is the coolest thing (besides the motherfucking Cubs winning the motherfucking World Series!!!!!!!!!!!) I've seen all week:

am i the only person that doesnt absolutely love pulp fiction?

and

am i the only person that finds many tarantino movies derivative and formulaic?

a) the best female martial arts stars and b) the best movies of theirs.

beardgiphy-(4).gif

Schoolarly discussions, eh?

Well you obviously know about people like Pei-Pei Cheng and Angela Mao. Not sure what I can add from that generation. Especially if you're looking for "the best". I sort of have a sore-spot for Kuang-Li Hsia in The Leg Fighters but that's probably because the film overall is pretty fun, she's obviously not one of the best.

The Fate of Lee Khan has some pretty badass femmes duking it out. It's directed by King Hu so expect combat of the Come Drink With Me and Dragons Inn variety. It's basically one long-con taking place almost entierly at an inn. Angela Mao is in it. On the acting front, Feng Hsu has absolutely electric screen presence, totally stealing every scene with just the look on her face. It's totally eclipses anything she did in A Touch of Zen.

A note about generational and gender shifts through. Unlike male action stars, or female combatants of the Pei-Pei Cheng era, the was a huge deal of overlap between the martial arts and the gunplay in female-feature films from the late 80's and early 90's. You don't see much pure martial arts. It's often coupled with the stuff that goes bang-bang. Jackie Chan never had to use a pistol but most ladies did.

When you stated that question though, the first name that came to mind was Michelle Yeoh. She's the lass who partnered with Jackie Chan in Police Story 3 and was also starred in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. There's definitely something of Jackie in her, with the emphasis on acrobatics and stunts in her fist-fights. Yes, Madam. Royal Warriors. Magnificent Warriors is sort of the Holy Trinity of her early, martial arts-focused days. I love some of the brawls in Yes, Madam.

Before Beardotheweirdo eviscerates me I need to mention Cynthia Rothrock too. Sole westerner on the list. One of those ladies that went hard in her fighting. She's also in Yes, Madam. Righting Wrongs is another kick-tastic showing of hers. Plenty of people swear by China O'Brien but I wouldn't follow that theology.

Then there is the more esoteric names like Moon Lee, Cynthia Khan, Yukari Oshima, Elaine Lui and whatever else I can draw from my hat.

The thing is though, female-oriented martial arts films is like a niche-within-a-niche. These ladies thrived in the super-cheap, one-movie-a-day universe. So they produced an ungodly amount of film... yet placed all their efforts into like 5 or 10 minutes of the screentime. This is really a head-scratching feuture of the HK low-budget film industry. The ending and the beginning are usually really good while the rest of the movie can be a real drag filled with nothing but filler.:D This also has the unfortunate side-effect of making their movies rather unmemorable as a whole and make their individuals products kind-of blur together in your thoughts.

So what I'm trying to say is that I'm struggling with my memory at the moment.:D

I remember Moon Lee having an absolutely awesome scrap in Iron Angels 2 where she dons a very becoming SWAT uniform and throws down (plenty of people praise Iron Angels 1 but that's all to my bewilderment). The storytelling was abysmal though. She just runs into some random mook who just so happens to be a superb martial artists or something. I think Cynthia Khan had some really good showings in In the Line of Duty III: Force of the Dragon as well.

I'll give the topic some more thought after the Bellator card and see if I can come up with some more examples.

I guess I can mention Etsuko Shihomi too but she's squarely from the Sonny Chiba school of combat and I know what you in your unfathomable depths of evil have to say about him so I probably shouldn't even bother.:p

Last edited:
A lot of the stuff from that era when Freud and psychoanalysis was catching on has dated really badly (Spellbound is another example).

Forgot to ask, speaking of dated, have you ever seen Bewitched from 1945? It has a hilariously take on schizophrenia. Instead of being a split-personality disorder the heroine basically has an cantankerous old lady stuck in her head that is constantly nagging her through the story.:D

The psychoanalysis in Spellbound didn't really bother me though. It felt more... diegetic. I was able to immerse myself in the tale so well that it wasn't something that I thought about.

As for the female martial artist stuff, yeah just stick to the afromentioned early HK career of Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock if you want to see the best movies in the niche. After that the quality kind of blurs and gets a bit same-y. Those other ladies all have fun fights but I can't say that their movies live-up to that standard due to their B-movie, "let's put all our money into the last 10 minutes" formula.

Last edited:
Can someone please recommend me a good film that's been released dvd?

I feel like I'm in a dry spell for quality films recently. Best film I've seen in the past couple months was Room, and it was awesome, but other than that Ive got nothing.

Help.

I actually remember the action scenes in the first Skirts movie to be quite riveting. They had that 80's hardness to them. It was produced by Jackie Chan, and you can definitively see his influence in the crazy stunt-work. And the group dynamic was fun as well. It was a good movie.

The sequels are uninspired cash-graps though. And they mostly just fill-out the run-time by giving Sandra Ng a bunch of unfunny skits to do. Hence my acrimony towards her.

Yeah, the action was good, and the comedy was good for the time, but it was still pretty cheesy, and the plot/story was pretty bad. Most of the plot consisted of the guys trying to pick up the girls, and the girls trying to get guys, which would've been fine but no one was hitting on Ellen Chan, which is inexcusable imo ;)

My go-to movie concerning such an assembly of HK starlets is Golden Queen's Commando's from 1982, headed by an eye-patch wearing Brigitte Lin. It's an hilarious B-movie with an Dirty Dozen-esque premise. They pretty much rip-off every movie in existence in that film. It's practically spot-the-rip-off, the movie!

queens1eg3.jpg

I haven't seen that one but it's in my watchlist, seems a lot like Fantasy Mission Force, aka Dragon Attack, starring Jackie Chan. the descriptions on imdb are almost identical as well. While pondering @Bullitt68 's question and going through imdb last night I came across this movie, which might give both our choices a run for their money.

Emergency Police Lady (1989)
EmergencyPoliceLady.jpg

Yeah the HK and Taiwanese section on IMDB is a bit of a mess. But to compensate for that the Hong Kong movie database and hkcinemagic are really extensive and informative though.

I've even corrected IMDB myself on a few occasions. IMDB used to list the directors Chiang Ping-han and Joseph Kuo (whom made the Bronzmen movies) as two diffrent people, when in fact Chiang Ping-han was a pseudonym that Joseph Kuo tended to use from time-to-time, which I had learnt by browsing HKMDB and Hkcinemagic. So I reported the error and now their pages have been moved into one, because of my nagging.

HKMDB is definitely a good resource, but i always use imdb on my phone when I watch movies and HKMDB just isn't as reliable. I've added a bunch of posters and plots to imdb for rare HK movies with no info, but you have to be a premium member to add photo's of actors.

When I'm less busy over the winter I'm going to get a month membership just so I can update the HK section.

Wait... was that just the translators having a piss or was that due to some unsavoriness on the films part?:confused:

I assume it was probably the translator, since the subtitles weren't that good. I think the word they replaced with the "N" word was probably criminals, which is worse actually. I assume their is a word for criminals in Mandarin and Cantonese, there's got to be.

Always fun to see what Asians imagine American cities to be like.

As for instance, this scene in Godzilla Final Wars from 2004. :rolleyes:

I played a Czech mod for Fallout 2 this year where they used the word Mexican as synonymous with Gangster. Ah yes these.... things that happen.:rolleyes:

I got a good laugh from that. Rumble in The Bronx was one of the first HK movies I saw, and it's depictions of NY City thugs is absolutely hilarious.

Your racist mod comment reminded me of this

@europe1 and @BeardotheWeirdo: I'm going to try to see if I can sneak in a mega post this weekend, but in the meantime, I just wanted to quickly ask, based on what you've been talking about, if you'd mind throwing out your lists of a) the best female martial arts stars and b) the best movies of theirs. I know most of the big names, but the names are pretty much as far as it goes. I'd like to broaden my HK martial arts movie horizons, and sadly, that's quite a blindspot for me

I'm mostly just familiar with 80's & 90's martial arts films. Before I give my list, i have to acknowlegde what Europe1 said below:

The thing is though, female-oriented martial arts films is like a niche-within-a-niche. These ladies thrived in the super-cheap, one-movie-a-day universe. So they produced an ungodly amount of film... yet placed all their efforts into like 5 or 10 minutes of the screentime. This is really a head-scratching feuture of the HK low-budget film industry. The ending and the beginning are usually really good while the rest of the movie can be a real drag filled with nothing but filler.:D This also has the unfortunate side-effect of making their movies rather unmemorable as a whole and make their individuals products kind-of blur together in your thoughts.

This is true, Moon Lee for example was in 40+ movies, and none of them are very good tbh. My favourite movie from her is "The Champions" with Yuen Biao... there's maybe 30 seconds worth of fighting in that entire movie, it's mostly about soccer.

The big names from that period weren't just confined to Martial Arts movies. Brigitte Lin has done 100 movies and most of them have no martial arts in them. And in some of the martial arts movies she's in she doesn't even fight, or barely fights.
Generally speaking they're more likely to do the fantasy movies with lots of flying and wire-stunts so their at the mercy of the director. In one movie they might look like a champ, and in the next a chump. Europe1 mentioned China O'Brien which is a great example. Cynthia looks like an amateur in it, much like Jackie Chan did in The Protector. I liked China O'Brien for Richard Norton and Keith Cooke's fight scenes but Cynthia looked bad in it...

On top of that, it's pretty rare for females to get the starring role in martial arts movies in HK, but with that said there are definitely some names and movies worth checking out or keeping an eye open for.

Michelle Yeoh:
yeoh1-sized.jpg

Favourite Movies: Tai Chi Master (1993) , Yes Madam (1985), Dynamite Fighters (1987), In The Line of Duty (1986), Holy Weapon (1993), Wing Chun (1994) Once A Cop (1993)

Of course she was also in Hidden Tiger, Crouching Dragon, Tomorrow Never Dies and some other big movies, but to really see her martial arts skills on display Dynamite Fighters is probably the one to see. I finally found a copy last night, and watched as I expected it was one of her best, and it's really just a showcase for her skills. Tai Chi Master is great, but Jet Li and Siu-Ho Chin get most of the screen time, it's my second favourite Jet Li movie also.

Cynthia Rothrock:
280full.jpg

Favourite movies: Righting Wrongs (1986), The Blonde Fury (1989), Yes Madam (1985), Magic Crystal (1986), The Inspector Wears Skirts (

She was also in Millionaire's Express but she doesn't have much screen time in that one, and you've probably seen it. If not then it's a who's who of HK martial arts stars and it's packed full of fights and stunts. The Blonde Fury is a showcase movie for Rothrock and she gets a bunch of big stunts in it too. In the rest of those movies she's a co-star or supporting role but she still gets to show off her skills plenty. Righting Wrongs also has some great scenes from Yuen Biao. Magic Crystal is a weird one, part kids movie, part gory gangster film, part martial arts madness, yet somehow they make it all work and turn it into a fun time. It's the HK martial arts version of a Spielsberg film basically, but don't let that sway you.

Joyce Godenzi
joycegodenzi.jpg

Favourite Movies: Lethal Lady (1990) Thief Versus Thief (1990) Eastern Condors (1987) Mr. Nice Guy (1991)

Joyce didn't make a lot of movies, she pretty much retired after becoming pregnant in the early 90's, which is a real shame because she could've been the GOAT WTMA film star. Lethal Lady also features Sammo Hung and Yuen Wah and Yuen Biao stars in Theif Versus Thief alongside her.

Sharla Cheung
109499480752159968_b468dcc8_c.jpg

Favourite Movies: Sharla co-stars in some of my favourite Stephen Chow movies like Hail The Judge (1994) King of Beggars (1992) All For The Winner (1990) and the totally bizarre and hilarious comedy Operation Pink Squad II (1989). She also co-starred in Holy Weapon (1990) and Flying Dagger (1993) which are two of my favourite fantasy wire movies. She co-starred in The Evil Cult (1993) which starred Jet Li, with Sammo Hung and Chingmy Yau

Zhang Ziyi:
MV5BNjk1NzY2ODAyOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTE2NjExMDI@._V1_UY317_CR6,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Favourite Movies: House of Flying Daggers (2004) Crouching Tiger (2000), Hidden Dragon, Hero (2002), Rush Hour 2 (2001)

I'm sure you're familiar with her, and probably with these movies already but I had to mention her. She almost exclusively does wire-fighting movies, but she's been insome of the best ones.

Brigitte Lin:
MV5BMjMzMDUwNzQ0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjkzNDkzMjE@._V1_UY317_CR3,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Favourite Movies: Deadful Melody (1994), Zu: Warriors From The Magic Mountain (1983)

Both Zu and Deadful Melody co-star or star Yuen Biao, and Adam Cheng and Sammo Hung are both in Zu.

She was in Police Story, and a whole bunch of Stephen Chow movies, she's also done lots of drama's and romance movies, so despite her being one of my favourites (if you discount all her supporting roles) she's only been in a couple of martial arts movies worth mentioning.
Brigitte has starred in some big HK films like Chungking Express, Ashes of Time, The Bride With White Hair, Dragon Inn and some other very successful films like Semi-Gods, and Semi-Devils, & Secret Love in Peach Blossom Land., but their all drama`s or fantasies that don't translate to English well.

I haven't seen them yet, but Ashes of Time (1994) and Eight Hundred Heroes (1976) look like they could be some of her best films.

Michiko Nishiwaki
She wasn't in very many movies, she has this famous fight scene with Sibelle Hu in My Lucky Stars.

Her entire career consisted of bit parts, until she got a starring role in Passionate Killing In The Dream (1992)

Sibelle Hu, Maggie Cheung and Chingmy Yau are others that I like but they just do small fighting scenes from time to time in some of their movies.

Emergency Police Lady (1989)

Hehe. Not only have I seen that film. I even wrote the single review on IMDB for that film.:p

It's basically a Inspectors Wear Skirts cash-in. Excact same formula. But it isn't all that good. Fun fact though, Sibelle Hu whom played the police-trainer in Skirts.... plays the EXACT same role here. Only in Hong Kong can you film a cash-in and manage to accuire the exact same actress from the movie you're ripping-off and cast her as the exact same character.:D

Yeah, the action was good

The handful of Cynthia Rothrock cameo's that are in that film certainly help the combat scenes. That scene where she takes on all the cadets on the boat was really fun.

Holy Weapon (1993

I watched Holy Weapon btw. It... wasn't really my type. I can be really picky when it comes to HK comedy. I do like the more straight-faced imagination that goes into those films though (like those flying-contraptions in the beginning, neat details like that). Zu Earriors from the Magic Mountain sure did spawn an entire genre on it's own.

seems a lot like Fantasy Mission Force, aka Dragon Attack, starring Jackie Chan

Never actually seen that one! It's an error I must amend. Funny how Brigitte Lin is in both films though.

This is true, Moon Lee for example was in 40+ movies

Yeah and pretty much all of them co-stars Yukari Oshima.:D

but to really see her martial arts skills on display Dynamite Fighters is probably the one to see

Damit Beardo! Here I thought you'd found a Michelle Yeoh flick that I've never even heard of before but then it turns out that Dynamite Fighters is just an alternative title for Magnificent Warriors! Do you have any idea how frustrating that is?:D

But yeah Dynamite Fighters is one of her best. If memory serves her martial arts displays in that are more gymnastic/athletics oriented and she fights with a whole deal of complicated props.

This is true, Moon Lee for example was in 40+ movies, and none of them are very good tbh

Damit Beardo... that's harsh but it's probably true. You won't ever hear me say that on my own though.:p

To be fair to Moon Lee and her partners in crime Yukari Oshima and Cynthia Khan though... those three seems to be more like actual martial artists. That is to say, they do the kinetic fight scenes and carry the heavy burdens in those areas themselves. While people like Sibelle Hu and Bridgette Lin seems more like actresses placed in combat films, staying out of fights themselves or having their choreography be simpler and tailored after their limitations. So Lee, Oshima and Khan do more of the actual kicks-and-punches stuff on their own.

If I'd have to pick one film each for them though to highlight their fight scenes, then I'd say Iron Angels 2 for Lee, Outlaw Brothers for Yukari, and In the Line of Duty 3 for Khan.

Last edited:
Hehe. Not only have I seen that film. I even wrote the single review on IMDB for that film.:p

It's basically a Inspectors Wear Skirts cash-in. Excact same formula. But it isn't all that good. Fun fact though, Sibelle Hu whom played the police-trainer in Skirts.... plays the EXACT same role here. Only in Hong Kong can you film a cash-in and manage to accuire the exact same actress from the movie you're ripping-off and cast her as the exact same character.:D

The rules are different in HK, they don't expect as much from their movies

I watched Holy Weapon btw. It... wasn't really my type. I can be really picky when it comes to HK comedy. I do like the more straight-faced imagination that goes into those films though (like those flying-contraptions in the beginning, neat details like that). Zu Earriors from the Magic Mountain sure did spawn an entire genre on it's own.

I thought it was pretty pretty funny, and also liked the creativity. I usually dislike those flying wire films but for whatever reason (most likely Carol Cheng & Esther Kwan) I liked that one. Usually the wire films are filled with unrealistic looking movement, and close-up, fast-editing type fight scenes (which suck imo) but for a fantasy wire film I found the fighting in this one to be quite enjoyable.

Zu Warriors started out great then turned into... flying confusion, I had no idea what was going on by the end of it.

Never actually seen that one! It's an error I must amend. Funny how Brigitte Lin is in both films though.

I thought they were the same movie at first, or that you posted the wrong picture.

Imagine if Troma made a family friendly early 80's low-budget martial arts film with Jackie Chan, that's Fantasy Mission Force. There's some Mad Max elements in there too which you'll probably enjoy.

Yeah and pretty much all of them co-stars Yukari Oshima.:D

I like her, she was great in Millionaire's Express, but I haven't seen much from her. Anything in particular you'd recommend?

Damit Beardo! Here I thought you'd found a Michelle Yeoh flick that I've never even heard of before but then it turns out that Dynamite Fighters is just an alternative title for Magnificent Warriors! Do you have any idea how frustrating that is?:D

But yeah Dynamite Fighters is one of her best. If memory serves her martial arts displays in that are more gymnastic/athletics oriented and she fights with a whole deal of complicated props.

Nope, Have you seen Butterfly and Sword, or Wonder Seven? Those look like they could be good.

I watched The Heroic Trio not too long ago also, it was pretty entertaining but it made Holy Weapon look like a serious movie. I also watched her first movie... Owl/Eagle vs. Bombo/Dumbo (depending on the translation), it was decent, but not very good. Sammo had a really nice fight scene at the end though. Yeoh was cute in her teacher role.

Damit Beardo... that's harsh but it's probably true. You won't ever hear me say that on my own though.:p

They're entertaining but there's just not much to them and the fight scenes never really wow you. I own Beauty Investigators on VHS, I've watched it probably 5 times over the past 20 years, and I always enjoy it, but it never inspires me to go watch more of her movies. I tried watching Mission of Condor the other month, It was decent but I still fell asleep :p

To be fair to Moon Lee and her partners in crime Yukari Oshima and Cynthia Khan though... those three seems to be more like actual martial artists. That is to say, they do the kinetic fight scenes and carry the heavy burdens in those areas themselves. While people like Sibelle Hu and Bridgette Lin seems more like actresses placed in combat films, staying out of fights themselves or having their choreography be simpler and tailored after their limitations. So Lee, Oshima and Khan do more of the actual kicks-and-punches stuff on their own.

That's very true. The only thing I can think of is that Moon Lee didn't like doing the stunts, or playing the supporting role so she stuck to doing her B movies,or maybe because she grew up in Taiwan. With the right director she could've been much more.

If I'd have to pick one film each for them though to highlight their fight scenes, then I'd say Iron Angels 2 for Lee, Outlaw Brothers for Yukari, and In the Line of Duty 4 for Khan.

Haven't seen those except for In The Line Of Duty 4, which was pretty awesome. I love during the motorcycle chase scene when Donnie Yen falls of his motorcycle but they left in the movie (presumably) because he refused to re-shoot the stunt.

Have you seen "The Blonde Fury" btw, I just watched it yesterday and it was great. Definitely must-see for Rothrock fans. I'll probably watch part two after UFC ends.

Last edited:

and

I've never seen Pulp Fiction. I've seen it on tv many times and flipped right past it. It's on Netflix but it doesn't interest me in the slightest. Haven't seen Kill Bill either, and didn't like Reservoir dogs.

The only two that have interested me and that I liked were Django and Inglorious.

I like her, she was great in Millionaire's Express, but I haven't seen much from her. Anything in particular you'd recommend?

As I said she's basically in the Moon Lee category so it's sort of hard to recommend anything. I think she has some good fights in Outlaw Brothers. She's also in the gloooorious movie Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky, and harkoning back to what we talked about before, she plays a man in that movie.:D

Zu Warriors started out great then turned into... flying confusion, I had no idea what was going on by the end of it.

To me it seems like most of those supernatural movies turn out like that by the end.:p

Nope, Have you seen Butterfly and Sword, or Wonder Seven?

A6ZAJ_s-200x150.gif

Have you seen "The Blonde Fury" btw,

Haven't seen that one either.

Beauty Investigators

I've seen that one. It's alright. Pretty representative of what most of their movies are like.

Haven't seen those except for In The Line Of Duty 4, which was pretty awesome

Haha. I meant to say In The Line of Duty 3, where she was in the main character. But she's in 4 as well obviously. But when I Youtube'd the films some of the fight scenes I thought were in 3 where actually in 4 and vice-versa.:confused: Both films are pretty good though. Donny Yen's presence oviously casts a larger shadow over 4 though.

First off, thanks europe and Beardo for the info and the recommendations. I don't know when I'll go on my next martial arts binge, but when I do, your picks will be at the top of the list.

As for what's been going on...

it's so rare to see a martial arts film which is also an intriguing mystery tale.

Based on this post, I have to recommend Yuen Chor's The Lizard. The plotting is pure Hitchcock, like a martial arts To Catch a Thief.

I don't mind spoilers. So don't sweat it.

giphy.gif

If you believe they're equally propulsive, despite their subordinate roles, does this result in equal impact (for you); all this fighting with men, lobbying, show-running? On a macroscopic, dramatic level: what does it do for you? Are you tuning in to see C.J. at a press briefing, or for one of the guys to make a speech or take a stand of import? Or is that you are at peace with the fact that that's not what the women are around for?

For this particular question, there are a couple of different levels of answer. Big picture answer: When I watch The West Wing, I'm there for Martin Sheen. When I watch The Newsroom, I'm there for Jeff Daniels. When I watch Steve Jobs, I'm there for Michael Fassbender. At the end of the day, I'm there for the person I think is the best of the bunch. They're not the only reason I tune in. Not by a long shot. But they're absolutely the main reason. They're the main characters, so they're the ones I'm tuning in to see (the corollary is: They're the ones for whom Sorkin pulls out all the stops).

Down a level, when I'm looking at the ensemble in The West Wing, no, I can't say I'm ever tuning in for C.J. But then, to be fair, I'm not tuning in for Josh, either. In The Newsroom, I can't say I'm tuning in for Mac, but then I'm not tuning in for Charlie, either.

Another level down, when I'm looking at episodes of The West Wing, sometimes the arc I'm the most into is a C.J. arc. Other times it's a Josh arc. Other times I want them all to get the fuck out of the way so I can just focus on Toby. In The Newsroom, Will is gold, but sometimes I just want to be with Mac and Sloan. Other times, Charlie is holding court. Other times I want everyone to shut up so I can watch the Jane Fonda show.

If someone wants to mine the stats, I'm sure the numbers can be put up to show what a horrible misogynist Sorkin is, but I'm not bullshitting when I say that I literally don't think of this shit when I'm watching Sorkin. Everybody clicks regardless of who's packing a dick and who isn't, everyone has moments to shine, everyone has their scene/episode/arc where they get the chance to hit it out of the park. At the end of the day, the main character is always a dude. Then again, Sorkin's currently at work on what's to be his directorial debut, and it's called Molly's Game and the main character is a woman.

Story and character rule in Sorkinland. Gender is for the peanut gallery.

T.J. Miller isn't an audience surrogate. Different discussion anyway.

o_O

Well, if we ever come back around to Cloverfield, this is a discussion that I think is worth having, because I can't guess for the life of me where you'd go with it.

I don't know shit about Executive Decision.

This is for the best.

It's hard to work out what this is about exactly. From what I can tell she is arguing that someone teasing women verbally in a way that involves her sexuality doesn't have to mean the same thing for her, yes? And that in fact, in her case, it empowers her?

Sorkin's speaking for how women could/should feel about verbal sexual teasing?

And he's putting those words in the mouth of a character who wasn't allowed to defend herself from harassment without a man coming to her aid?

What it's about: Man A told Woman A she looked good. Woman B took offense, and even though Woman A wasn't offended, Man A now feels guilty and confused.

What he's saying: Woman A thinks Woman B should mind her business and chill the fuck out and Man A shouldn't walk around on eggshells for fear of all the Woman B's of the world.

He's actually casting a pretty wide net in that scene. Ainsley is arguing that ribbing works across genders, and that if it's part of her becoming "part of the team," then that means the intent is very different than the stereotype of the construction site hollering at women walking by and she's cool with it. She's also arguing that blowing your top every time a guy says anything remotely sexual (or even just gender-specific) distracts from legit instances of sexual harassment. And she's arguing that nobody, male or female, gets to dictate what any individual is comfortable with, that a person's sexuality is his/her own and they don't need constant white-knighting.

Sorkin's point is that Sam is noble for doing so. It's why, dramatically, Sam is righteous when he passionately insists on continuing to help Laurie (to CJ). It's why the issue, as far as "they all" are concerned, doesn't end with Sam laughing about his silly ways and admitting he was an idiot. It ends, if I recall correctly, with a vibrant defence of Sam by C.J. to Danny, because his behaviour is "commendable": he's the one who is right, while everyone else is worried about the optics.

This applies better to The Newsroom and the mission to civilize. I think you think Sorkin is a lot more on Sam's side than he really is. He's on Will's side all the way. Sam, on the other hand, is being used to indicate a very specific (and, as Sorkin seems to be suggesting, perhaps outmoded) form of nobility, and one that importantly gets rejected.

What I also know is that I'm taking your specific arguments, understanding them, and providing individual rebuttals as much as I can. There are things that people are too bothered about and things that don't bother enough people. If I see something I don't like, I talk about it as the individual issue it is. I'm not sure lumping it in with a movement is useful. I mean, go ahead and do it, but it trivialises a decent debate. It's why I haven't generalised by suggesting your having certain opinions implies you're part of a gaggle of un-woke men that have decided not to open your eyes to a genuine issue. I simply challenge your ideas. It works better that way.

We're both definitely working from the specific rather than the general, and you're right that that's what's pertinent here given that these issues are contextual while what we're really talking about is art. I do think it's indisputable, though, that, between the two of us, you're closer to the feminazis and I'm closer to the MRA :D

I'm like teh Flem with that shit - can't remember classic Hollywood from it being a blur. I can watch them again if you're genuinely curious.

I don't want to be assigning you homework or anything, but I'm not going to lie and say that I wouldn't be interested to hear your thoughts on The Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday, and Adam's Rib in light of this conversation. However, I can't stress enough that, more than anything, I want you to watch the first two seasons of The Newsroom.

If you really want to know what I mean, I'm going to open myself up to much ridicule and suggest you watch Gilmore Girls to know how a woman would write Sorkin-esque dialogue. And why one rings so true for women and the other doesn't. I'll watch anything you want me to if you watch it, because you actually bother to debate me.

I'm watching The Mindy Project right now, then after that I'm going to be shifting from TV to movies for a while. I'm filing Gilmore Girls away in the memory bank, though, and if, after the holidays, I've lost track of it, start bugging me about it and I'll watch it.

All his characters tend not to take shit lying down. A woman is as likely to talk about gangster shit and guns as a man is.

In Sorkin terms, I'd say that the reason I'm cool with the way he writes men and women is because all his characters are fueled by passion and care about what they're doing, but they're also flawed and capable of looking stupid. A woman is as likely to go on a rant or land themselves in hot water or fall flat on their face doing what they believe is right as a man is.

Pretty interested to hear what Bullitt has to say about Snowpiercer and Blue is the Warmest Colour

People in here seemed to dig Snowpiercer. And I love Ed Harris. So who knows? As for Blue is the Warmest Color, I don't recall ever hearing anything about it, but it seemed to be a critical darling, so I'll be surprised if I walk away empty-handed.

@Bullitt68 if you want to recommend me any movies during this stretch, I'm down to watch some of whatever you come up with.

I'm not going to recommend anything at the moment, but once I start watching your picks, with the way my brain works, I'm not going to be able to help pointing out movies that are about and/or do similar things, so I'm sure I'll end up indirectly recommending you plenty :D

Never seen Stay Hungry though.

Arnold lifts weights in a mask and a cape in one scene and plays the violin in another. And those aren't even the craziest scenes in the movie.

"More frustrating"? I can't recall you calling Angel Face frustrating.

Describing my experience as one of frustration isn't in this context a negative. I don't mean that I would've liked the film more if it wasn't so frustrating. On the contrary, part of the reason I like it as much as I do is because it's a frustrating experience, because Mitchum shouldn't have gotten wrapped up in this shit. Hell, most films noir have frustrating elements to them. The Third Man is one of the GOAT but it's unspeakably frustrating watching Alida Valli torture herself and knowing that Joseph Cotten has no chance.

Just to be clear, do you think that Jean Simmons succeding despite not being able to snare Mitchum is a good thing, or do you see it as a weakness in the narrative?

I wish the post-trial time would've been stretched out and we could've gotten more from Simmons, but at the end of the day, I love the bonkers ending and I don't think Simmons' Thelma & Louise move is a weakness at all. It's perfectly in keeping with the character and it's perfectly in line with the logic of film noir. I just would've liked more insights into her mind similar to the way Preminger approached his subjects in Whirlpool and Bunny Lake is Missing.

Something I was going to add -- in the trivia section on Angel Face imdb page, it says that Mitchum slapped Preminger when Preminger told him to slap Jean Simmons for real while filming. Preminger apperently got so outraged that he tried to fire Mitchum... so why in the hell is he writting a freaking rape scene in this film?:eek: Is it some sort of elaborate, twisted, revenge on Preminger's part or does he just really want to see Mitchum abuse women? :confused:

There are various stories about that incident. I've heard it that Preminger was doing what producer Howard Hughes wanted (who was busy relentlessly pursuing the then-married Simmons and not appreciating being turned away), I've heard it that Mitchum threatened Preminger with no more takes or else he'd slap him, and I've heard it that Mitchum legit slapped Preminger. Whatever the case, I think, given Preminger's reputation, that he was a lot like Kubrick, and in the case of the Preminger/Simmons relationship for Angel Face, I think it was a lot like the Kubrick/Shelley Duvall relationship for The Shining. Preminger wasn't an "actor's director" in the conventional sense, but he nevertheless tended to get some damn good performances out of his actors. In this case, it's important for Simmons' character to be at her wit's end and even broken down. Maybe that's what Preminger was going for. Or maybe he was just a nutjob.

As for River of No Return, that story is most often told as Preminger hating Monroe's diva behavior, getting fed up with her having her acting coach basically re-direct her during takes, and getting a form of revenge on her, not Mitchum. Funny enough, from what I know of that shoot, it sounds like the kid was the only adult on the set and deserves the credit for holding the production together :D

Completely blindsighted by your Mitchum love though, I don't think it was bad or anything but mostly I just got the impression that it was that workmanlike performance you get when contractual obligations are in play.

I'm not saying he's on the level of Cagney in White Heat or anything crazy, but I definitely think he was better than just a paycheck.

and

I've never seen Pulp Fiction. I've seen it on tv many times and flipped right past it. It's on Netflix but it doesn't interest me in the slightest. Haven't seen Kill Bill either, and didn't like Reservoir dogs.

The only two that have interested me and that I liked were Django and Inglorious.

<{danawhoah}>

I'm going to need to see some evidence of what you guys like in order to judge whether you just haven't seen the light yet or whether you're crazy people ;)

Forgot to ask, speaking of dated, have you ever seen Bewitched from 1945? It has a hilariously take on schizophrenia. Instead of being a split-personality disorder the heroine basically has an cantankerous old lady stuck in her head that is constantly nagging her through the story.:D

Never saw that one, but it sounds like one of Phoebe's storylines in Friends.

oddly enough, when i said his flicks were derivative and formulaic, i specifically had djnago and basterds in mind.

oddly enough, when i said his flicks were derivative and formulaic, i specifically had djnago and basterds in mind.
They were essentially the same film. Christoph Waltz plays a huge part in my liking both films.

{<huh}

Don't fuck with my head, Caveat. If that ending isn't an either/or (reality or dream) situation, then what different conclusions are there to be reached?

Pretend it's the end of a Scooby-Doo episode. Walk me through all the clues beginning to end.

It is an reality or dream situation, but the question doesn't hinge on whether the top falls imo. The easy interpretation is that the wobble means the top did fall and hence Leo was back in reality. But there's another possibility imo.

Also don't tell me what to do. I'll flesh it out the best I can another time.

Also I think I got PTSD from Hacksaw Ridge. Cool flick though.

Also what the fuck is this thread about right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back