Series Standoff: Red Dead Redemption I & II vs GTA IV & V. Which is better?

GTA 5 went next level with the missions and the multiple characters/perspectives on missions

It just felt huge when you'd be on the ground and then switch to Helicopter, then somewhere else all in realtime

Truly felt cinematic

I havent played RDR2 tho still jelly cuz its console only ;(

I love GTA 5 and the mods. The next game needs a gang and police mode.

rdr1 > gta5 > gta4 > rdr2

my rdr1 over gta5 is highly subjective. gta5 is basically a better game but i enjoyed playing rdr1 more.

I got bored of RDR about 7 hours in. Had some fun but it just got stale. I do look forward to trying RDR2 in a few years when it's 10 bucks.

GTA is better in every way IMO.

I got bored of RDR about 7 hours in. Had some fun but it just got stale. I do look forward to trying RDR2 in a few years when it's 10 bucks.

GTA is better in every way IMO.

Lol gta v is 5 years old and not that cheap yet. Good luck with that.

I actually enjoyed GTA 4 more than 5 to include the spin off games: "Ballad of Gay Tony", and "The Lost and Damned".

GTA 5 was a better game overall however, but I think I may just like Liberty City better as a location.

Red Dead Redemption games seem to take more patience, and aren't as instantly gratifying as GTA games, but I am liking RDR2 more and more each day.

Arthur is a solid character, but not a standout for me. I even like John Marston better in his cameo than I like Arthur lol.

Both series are good, like them for different reasons.

I haven't played GTA V or RDR2, but V would have to be really good to overcome the landslide that is RDR > GTA IV.

I didn't like GTA 4, like, at all. So i'd go with the Red Deads.

GTA SA > them all though.

I actually enjoyed GTA 4 more than 5 to include the spin off games: "Ballad of Gay Tony", and "The Lost and Damned".

GTA 5 was a better game overall however, but I think I may just like Liberty City better as a location.

Red Dead Redemption games seem to take more patience, and aren't as instantly gratifying as GTA games, but I am liking RDR2 more and more each day.

Arthur is a solid character, but not a standout for me. I even like John Marston better in his cameo than I like Arthur lol.

Both series are good, like them for different reasons.

Liberty City is the best location for me as well. GTA IV went a little too NYC imo but it was still great. If they added some rural area like SA and V did, it would have been perfect.

I hope GTA 6 is either back to LC or in Miami again. I just don't want them to try and be innovative to the point that they arbitrarily create a new city. Familiarity is an asset imo. And there are a million ways to remake the same area in video games. Imo, they could recreate the 3 cities a dozen times and they would never feel repetitive.

I like the story of RDR and the setting more, but GTA has more content, more interesting characters and better gameplay.

Depends on my mood.

I haven't played RDR2, but I'd say GTA easily wins in any case because you're blasting cars through traffic at high speed (likely getting chased by police and hitting pedestrians in the process) for 90% of the game rather than plodding around on a horse in a desert for 90% of the game.

For me it's RDR2>GTA5
Only because of the the feeling of a living world. GTA was empty sometimes.
I wonder how good will GTA 6 be, and where will they set it.

You think RDR2 is less empty than GTA V?

RDR2's environment is mostly trees and rocks. They are beautiful trees and rocks but, can you honestly distinguish them from one another? GTA has buildings, buildings that are easily distinguished from one another.

You think RDR2 is less empty than GTA V?

RDR2's environment is mostly trees and rocks. They are beautiful trees and rocks but, can you honestly distinguish them from one another? GTA has buildings, buildings that are easily distinguished from one another.
Towns feel less empty for me, but the environment is, as you said, mostly rocks and tree, which makes the traveling boring sometimes.

1. RDR 2
2. GTA 5
3. RDR
4. GTA 4

Just like it should be, improve year to year.

To me the main difference is unpredictability in RDR 2. After playing it for a month I still run into things I haven't seen, and each mission feels unique. I'm only in Chapter 4, which says a lot. I don't recall this being done in gaming. Maybe the closest is BOTW. That you could wander off and find random things for not an hour, but days.

Almost all games fall into a checklist pattern. Some of those can still be great games, like Marvel's Spider-Man or Black Flag. But they repeat the same 5-10 mechanics, which is lazy and cheaper. It's not immersive or interactive, but gamey.

GTA 4 fell somewhat into this, although Rockstar does a great job with introducing new mechanics as you progress. GTA 5 took it further in that direction, but not in the same scope with NPC behavior and chance encounters like RDR 2.

Plus, I love the Western setting (although some argue RDR 2 isn't that, but it's close enough).

GTA IV was the weak link imo. They took out a ton of the features of the previous games and it just wasnt as fun to play.

GTA 6. Lol
I suspect it will release no earlier than 2022. I hope they go back to Liberty City, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they went back to Vice City. It needs to be one or the other imo. Introducing a new locale would absoulutely ruin it. Sorry, progressives.

Why do you want the setting to be one you've seen before? Boring. So far we have Vice City (Miami), Liberty City (New York) and San Andreas (California), with multiple games in each location. One of the most interesting aspects of GTA is their take on each city so why not see something new? Personally I'd like to see New Orleans.

Why do you want the setting to be one you've seen before? Boring. So far we have Vice City (Miami), Liberty City (New York) and San Andreas (California), with multiple games in each location. One of the most interesting aspects of GTA is their take on each city so why not see something new? Personally I'd like to see New Orleans.

New Orleans was already done in Mafia 3 and it got old real quick. No way.

I honestly don't enjoy GTA games so this is an easy win for Red Dead

Back