Serena Williams cries "discrimination" over drug testing

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The black community should treat this with greater hostility than any other. This blatant attempt to exploit the very real history of white racism, and appeal to those who are constantly suspicious of it even when they cannot prove it, due to that history, is the cry of wolf that deafens white ears to valid sociopolitical grievances.

Don't tell me this is an isolated incident or an outlier. It's been happening over and over and over the past several years. This is a constant threat. You will always have to internally police it. Many people in your community will repeatedly attempt to exploit what is real for personal gain, and it cheapens the cause.

Serena Williams feels singled out in tennis' drug testing
Serena Williams, who made it to the Wimbledon final a little more a week ago, again is questioning the randomness of drug testing in tennis.

She tweeted Tuesday night that ''it's that time of the day to get 'randomly' drug tested and only test Serena. Out of all the players it's been proven I'm the one getting tested the most. Discrimination? I think so. At least I'll be keeping the sport clean #StayPositive"

Williams spoke the day before Wimbledon began about how often she is drug tested in response to a Deadspin article - which reported she had been drug tested more than any other player this year.

“I never knew that I was tested so much more than everyone else,” said Williams, who already had been tested five times in 2018 before she reached the grass courts. “It will be impossible for me not to feel some kind of way about that.”

...then attempts to hedge after throwing our her troll pleading for sympathy by pandering to race fears...

<DontBelieve1>

Hmmm, that's funny, Serena, why do you think the anti-doping authorities might be hawking you a bit more closely than the rest? Think it might have something to do with you pulling a Lance Armstrong?
Report: Serena locks self in panic room
FOX Sports said:
The tennis legend’s assistant called 911 around 6 a.m. local time last Wednesday and told the emergency operator that a prowler had been spotted at the luxurious property, TMZ reported.

Williams retreated to her panic room in a bid to protect herself.

But the intruder turned out to be a random drug tester who stopped by unannounced for a urine sample in accordance with tennis’ anti-doping policy.

Cops responded to the 911 call but quickly left the property when the misunderstanding was discovered. It was not known whether Williams submitted to the drug test.

I noticed that happened around the time they weren't testing you! Maybe your character has been established, and they understand now how to keep you honest. On your own, you're not.
The Daily Beast said:
A major problem with the OC tests, in any case, is that they’re regarded by many as a joke. In 2011, Serena Williams locked herself in her Los Angeles home’s panic room when she thought an intruder was lurking outside. It was a drug tester; ITF data shows Williams didn’t take an OC test at all in 2010 or 2011.

To the black community from a white friend: please, don't let this go unchecked and unpunished. You have to stigmatize this strategy of exploitation.

Otherwise, even the noble might not come when you call for help. They won't believe you.

"#StayPositive"

Clear Freudian slip, she's definitely on the roids.

Wow the dominant athlete in a sport is afraid of drug testing...

The black community should treat this with greater hostility than any other. This blatant attempt to exploit the very real history of white racism, and appeal to those who are constantly suspicious of it even when they cannot prove it, due to that history, is the cry of wolf that deafens white ears to valid sociopolitical grievances.

Don't hold your breath.

Serena's clit is bigger than my dick guaranteed
6gRCnAr.gif

But is she getting tested more often?

If she isn't, it's double bullshit.
Seems like it could be she's getting tested more often by happenstance and not targeting. There are other explanations besides ism.

Shrekrena is more juiced than the Chinese swim team.

I can’t stand this dumb bitch. Even before this, she has always been so classless.

So the top champ in a sport who is a physical specimen gets drug tested? Who would’ve guessed?

Her being black is the reason why she is being target so much???

What exactly would you like me to do Madmick?

During the ADAA-approved random drug screening, one of your players tested positive for three different anabolic steroids, and a low-grade beaver tranquilizer.

s9h1Yp.gif

Mindless defense of an obvious (former) cheater.
Defense? Twas a joke. I don't follow tennis so I wouldn't know but she looks as big as Paulo Costa so I can't exactly blame them for testing her as often as they do.

She is very mannish, doesn't look natural.

Also, she said that she had no idea that other competitors didn't get tested as frequently as her.... Doesn't she have a sister who plays tennis? Wouldn't this have come up in conversation?

If she is crying racism for bullshit reasons, then I wish to hell everyone would publicly call her out on it.

But is she getting tested more often?

If she isn't, it's double bullshit.
Seems like it could be she's getting tested more often by happenstance and not targeting. There are other explanations besides ism.
That's mentioned in the article. She was tested more than any other athlete. Someone has to occupy that slot. She's #1 in the world, and she once locked out the drug testers. They don't take kindly to that.

If she would like to offer data on "institutional" trends regarding athletes, then it's going to be about a bigger picture than her with that checkered past. You're going to end up looking at controls for how elite or how well-paid athletes are, too, I would imagine (meaning the more successful stars might be tested more often, which makes sense, since we're deterring corruption, here, and that focus will be on the reward: prize money). Maybe they test men more often than women for anabolic steroids because men are more likely to abuse that particular PED. You have to look at the whole populations.

She didn't look at any other statistics. Did she look to see who gets tested the most among men? Back in 2014 she was already among the most tested women, but all the top male stars also were among the most heavily tested, and all of them were white (or white hispanic);
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/04/drug-testing-tennis-increases-not-evenly-all-players/51081/
Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, and Serena Williams were tested 11 or more times by the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme last year, according to figures released by the ITF.
Andy Murray, too. She didn't care to offer any context on that. She certainly did offer the loosely tossed allegation of racism in its absence.

Maybe start with evidence, not implied accusations intended to smear the testing body, and pressure them not to scrutinize you for fear of more of the same by inspiring political backlash from minorities. Optics bullshit.

Last edited:
I never knew Agassi was busted for meth, and I find it hilarious that suspensions were lifted on the basis of claiming it was in his assistants drink. Even more so the French guy who got off by saying the cocaine in his system was a result of him kissing random women in a nightclub.
Makes USADA look bulletproof by comparison.

That's mentioned in the article. She was tested more than any other athlete. Someone has to occupy that slot. She's #1 in the world, and she once locked out the drug testers. They don't take kindly to that.

If she would like to offer data on "institutional" trends regarding athletes, then it's going to be bigger her with that checkered past. You're going to end up looking at controls for how elite or how well-paid athletes are, too, I would imagine (meaning the more successful stars might be tested more often, which makes sense, since we're deterring corruption, here, and that focus will be on the reward: prize money). Maybe the test men more often than women for anabolic steroids because men are more likely to abuse that particular PED. You have to look at the whole populations.

She didn't look at any other statistics. Did she look to see who gets tested the most among men? Back in 2014 she was already among the most tested women, but all the top male stars also were among the most heavily tested, and all of them were white (or white hispanic);
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2014/04/drug-testing-tennis-increases-not-evenly-all-players/51081/

Andy Murray, too. She didn't care to offer any context on that. She certainly did offer the loosely tossed allegation of racism in its absence.

Maybe start with evidence, not implied accusations intended to smear the testing body, and pressure them not to scrutinize you for fear of more of the same, and a political backlash from minorities. Optics bullshit.
Yah, and I agree with your overall point that people gotta be picking their spots better. There's a time to point out racism but when it isn't clear, or evidenced, then floating the charge just comes off as reactionary and hurts real cries of racism.

Defense? Twas a joke. I don't follow tennis so I wouldn't know but she looks as big as Paulo Costa so I can't exactly blame them for testing her as often as they do.
My bad. I apologize. I thought the joke a barb intended to satirize the hostility of my assumption, based on her panic room debacle, with the positivity of her tone.

I cannot prove she is on steroids, and she officially has never failed a test, but she seems to think she's above the rules:
Report: An anti-doping agent camped out at Serena Williams' house but never got to test her
No stranger to random drug tests, the 36-year-old tennis superstar was reportedly targeted for another one on June 14, roughly three weeks before her scheduled start of competition at Wimbledon. And according to Deadspin's Lauren Wagner, it didn't come without controversy, complete with an agent for the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency allegedly camping out at Williams' Florida home and refusing to leave until the Grand Slam veteran underwent an unannounced test.

A doping control officer showed up to test Williams at 8:30 a.m, when she was not at home. An assistant let the USADA officer into the home, and the officer refused to leave until Williams had been tested. There was a standoff; the test was not administered. Williams called Women's Tennis Association CEO Steve Simon to discuss the test and what she felt was unfair targeting.

As Wagner noted, the test was not administered. But it has since spawned, per the report, a statement from a Williams spokesperson condemning "invasive and targeted treatment" from the testers:

Over her 23-year career in tennis, Serena Williams has never tested positive for any illegal substance despite being tested significantly more than other professional tennis players, both male and female – in fact, four times more frequently than her peers. She has vocally supported, respected and complied with USADA testing throughout her entire career. While she willingly continues to submit to testing, there is absolutely no reason for this kind of invasive and targeted treatment.
I'm sorry, but this is your job. Lance Armstrong managed to play the system for more than a decade, too. Many people suffer humiliating tasks as part of their job. You being asked to go pee in a cup while someone watches you is part of yours. Why aren't you glad you aren't the one being forced to hold the cup? Parole officers are made party to the same mortifying collapse of our normal, comfortable space bubbles, and they don't make millions.

Unannounced tests are part of what makes this work. Go pee in the cup. It's not that hard. You're not special. Maybe you forgot that while hiding in your panic room in the middle of your mansion.

*Edit*
Shit, forgot to add the quote of the humdinger from that last link:
It also remains to be seen just who may have spread information pertaining to the June 14 test attempt. In 2016, for example, as Wagner noted, Russian hackers obtained World Anti-Doping Agency data and revealed that Williams was using a drug on a banned substance list, even though that drug had been approved for therapeutic use.
Again, Lance Armstrong makes sense of the world, here, for me.

Last edited:

Don't tell me this is an isolated incident or an outlier. It's been happening over and over and over the past several years. This is a constant threat. You will always have to internally police it. Many people in your community will repeatedly attempt to exploit what is real for personal gain, and it cheapens the cause.

Serena Williams feels singled out in tennis' drug testing

...then attempts to hedge after throwing our her troll pleading for sympathy by pandering to race fears...

<DontBelieve1>

Hmmm, that's funny, Serena, why do you think the anti-doping authorities might be hawking you a bit more closely than the rest? Think it might have something to do with you pulling a Lance Armstrong?
Report: Serena locks self in panic room

I noticed that happened around the time they weren't testing you! Maybe your character has been established, and they understand now how to keep you honest. On your own, you're not.

To the black community from a white friend: please, don't let this go unchecked and unpunished. You have to stigmatize this strategy of exploitation.

Otherwise, even the noble might not come when you call for help. They won't believe you.

I'm not trying to argue with you but I just have to mention that I hate hearing things like "the black community".
Why is there such a need to group people together by skin tone? As if all dark skinned people are the same.
Just like the good old "latino" label. They are all the same right?

Maybe it is just me but I have thought this way for a long time. When people can start to be judged as individuals, we'll start to lessen prejudices and racism.

Back