Secret Service already hitting spending caps this year...

ShoelessRye

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score

Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex'' Alles said that 1,000 agents have already hit their annual salary and overtime limits. Alles added that he is in discussions with lawmakers to increase the pay caps for agents from $160,000 to $187,000 per year.

The increased spending is due in part to Trump's frequent travel from the White House to his properties along the East coast. He returned to D.C. late Sunday from a “working vacation” at his New Jersey golf club.

Trump's family also is a factor.

"The president has a large family, and our responsibility is required in law,'' Alles told the newspaper. "I can't change that. I have no flexibility.''
The Secret Service protects 42 members of the Trump administration, according to USA Today, including 18 members of the president's family. Thirty one people were protected during the Obama administration, by comparison.

Trump's family has put a strain on the Secret Service since it began protecting him during the election, with coverage for his adult children and their families.

Earlier this year, the Secret Service requested $60 million budget increase to cover Trump's protection costs.
Can't do anything about the family protection, though it's more expensive since the adult children and spouses are wealthy jet set types. However...

I have two thoughts on this. One, Democrats actually have a right to complain about this given it was a common complaint by Republicans. So I'll not pretend the right didn't do the exact same thing.

However, again, this is more fake outrage. This really doesn't matter. Nobody is hurt by this.

Pretty sure even though I get to work from home, I go into the office more than the president.

Edison Carasio 2020 - campaign slogan "I'll actually go to work".

Get ready for Trumpets........

mentalgymnastics_webheader.png

I think Trump should spend 100% of his time on vacation. That way he isn't around to ruin the country.

He is worth it.

Plus there's a lot of people advocating an assassination like Kathy Griffin, Madonna, that female politician from Missouri.

screen_shot_2017-05-30_at_1.47.48_pm_-_h_2017.jpg

DHcYElXUwAEzZb2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since his inauguration, Trump has taken seven trips to his estate in Mar-a-Lago, Fla., traveled to his Bedminster, N.J., golf club five times and returned to Trump Tower in Manhattan once.

Trump's frequent visits to his "winter White House" and "summer White House" are especially challenging for the agency, which must maintain a regular security infrastructure at each – while still allowing access to paying members and guests.

Always costly in manpower and equipment, the president's jaunts to Mar-a-Lago are estimated to cost at least $3 million each, based on a General Accounting Office estimate for similar travel by former President Obama. The Secret Service has spent some $60,000 on golf cart rentals alone this year to protect Trump at both Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster.

Trump's other sons, Trump Organization executives Donald Jr. and Eric, based in New York, also are covered by security details, including when they travel frequently to promote Trump-branded properties in other countries.

A few examples: Earlier this year, Eric Trump's business travel to Uruguay cost the Secret Service nearly $100,000 just for hotel rooms. Other trips included the United Kingdom and the Dominican Republic. In February, both sons and their security details traveled to Vancouver, British Columbia, for the opening of new Trump hotel there, and to Dubai to officially open a Trump International Golf Club.

In March, security details accompanied part of the family, including Ivanka Trump and husband Jared Kushner on a skiing vacation in Aspen, Colo. Even Tiffany Trump, the president's younger daughter, took vacations with her boyfriend to international locales such as Germany and Hungary, which also require Secret Service protection.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rumps-frequent-travel-large-family/529075001/

How much would it save if Trump slummed it like all other past Presidents and golfed at AFB's and weekended at Camp David?

Trump is saving us money.

We aren't paying for Obama's executive order for abortions overseas anymore.
Trump got us out of Obama's Paris climate change deal that would have cost us tons.

I have two thoughts on this. One, Democrats actually have a right to complain about this given it was a common complaint by Republicans. So I'll not pretend the right didn't do the exact same thing.

However, again, this is more fake outrage. This really doesn't matter. Nobody is hurt by this.
Accountability is a thing for leaders tho

Take security detail off both Eric & Don jnr. Waste of money.

Trump is saving us money.

We aren't paying for Obama's executive order for abortions overseas anymore.
Trump got us out of Obama's Paris climate change deal that would have cost us tons.
He's gonna send more troops to Afghanistan

No one is hurt by it but it's not fake outrage. Fake would be if nobody ever complained about it before and it's just being brought up to harass Trump. But as you noted, this is a complaint that was also made about the previous administration so it's real outrage...unless it was fake outrage when it was said about Obama.

And while no one is physically hurt, any person who claims to be concerned about government spending should be ticked off here.

No one is hurt by it but it's not fake outrage. Fake would be if nobody ever complained about it before and it's just being brought up to harass Trump. But as you noted, this is a complaint that was also made about the previous administration so it's real outrage...unless it was fake outrage when it was said about Obama.

And while no one is physically hurt, any person who claims to be concerned about government spending should be ticked off here.

We need to cut funding to public broadcast television so that Trump can get an extra round of golf in. You sound unamerican!

Secret Service does not have the budget to pay 100's of agents to provide protection to all of Trump family members.

Each member of the family lives in different parts of the US. This requires staff and tons of expensive equipment at each location.

"More than 1,000 Secret Service agents have already hit caps for salary and overtime allowances that were supposed last for all of 2017, according to Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex'' Alles."

http://time.com/money/4908663/donald-trump-family-travel-secret-service-raise/

Back