Scottish Independence and Brexit - question to brexiters

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I noticed lots of English brexit folks speaks very highly on how its selfish and pointless for Scotland to pull out of the UK and go for independence.

Can you guys possibly explain me, how its OK to fight for freedom and creation of own laws and at the same time preventing and bashing other country that pretty much...want to do exactly the same thing?

Before you start talking about endless number of reasons why Scotland should stay in UK union, I would like to remind you that EU officials, remainers and other pro european groups have also listed you a number of reasons of why UK should stay in EU.

So where is the difference?

Scotland have increased devolution powers in UK parliament and benefit from funding from England. It's a completely different scenario.

Britain (as a whole) are the second highest gross contributor to the EU, yet are treated as a second class member with no real say (in comparison to France, Germany etc.,)

In short, It's in Scotland's best interests to stay in the UK, mainly due to the financial abyss they'd be staring into as an fully independent country.

The UK can (and will) be successful out of the EU and aren't reliant on the system in the same way as Scotland are to England.

Right now, Scotland get the best of both worlds. They get the benefits of being attached to England/Britain financially, whilst also increased powers to make laws and set policy in Scotland.

The affairs over which the Scottish Parliament has control are called devolved powers, and they include:
  • health.
  • education and training.
  • local government.
  • law, including most aspects of criminal and civil law, the prosecution system and the courts.
  • social work.
  • housing.
  • tourism and economic development.
  • transport, including the Scottish road network, bus policy, and ports and harbours
  • planning and the environment
  • agriculture, forestry and fishing
  • sport and the arts
  • miscellaneous matters, such as compiling statistics and keeping public records

You'd be insane to think Scotland are ruled by England/the rest of the UK. Scotland have independent autonomy in the UK, unlike Britain within the EU.

Comparing the two situations is like comparing Apples with Oranges.

EDIT: For clarity, If Scotland does have a second Independence referendum and vote to leave the UK, then I'd be more than happy for them to accept the will of their citizens (something the EU just will not accept for Britain)

The evidence we have post Brexit vote shows that Scots aren't sure leaving the UK is the best idea, despite what Wee Jimmy Krankie would have you believe.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/09/01/davidson-now-more-popular-sturgeon-scotland/

Last edited:
Britain (as a whole) are the second highest gross contributor to the EU, yet are treated as a second class member with no real say (in comparison to France, Germany etc.,)

Just a side note, but you were the only member state to get a discount on your contributions.

Most English people I know want Scotland out of the Union, too.

They always vote for lefty parties.

Every county except one in Scotland voted no to brexit. Democracy!!

Every county except one in Scotland voted no to brexit. Democracy!!

Except Scots voted 'No' to independence knowing full well the EU referendum was upcoming (The tories had been promising one since 2010).

I never voted for Tony Blair yet I had to deal with it for the best part of a decade. DEMOCRACY!!

Except Scots voted 'No' to independence knowing full well the EU referendum was upcoming (The tories had been promising one since 2010).

I never voted for Tony Blair yet I had to deal with it for the best part of a decade. DEMOCRACY!!
Thanks obama!

Back