Savate

Pacquiao3:16

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I took my first Savate class yesterday and I thought it was fun and fast-paced.
Should I continue doing it to help me in MMA?

i'm in my 4th year of savate and i still enjoy it. the kicking practice alone is worth it

EVerytime I see somebody mention Savate the only thing I can think of is Gerard Gordeau from UFC 1, and when he kicked out that sumo wrestlers tooth. I've never understood why it isn't a more common style in todays MMA scene.

Isnt it illegal to do a MT style Kick in savate?

Saw a program about it once, where they mentioned that they had to chamber the leg and to a TKD kick in order to score points.

Pacquiao3:16 said:
I took my first Savate class yesterday and I thought it was fun and fast-paced.
Should I continue doing it to help me in MMA?

I love Savate, though relatively recently I began focusing more on my MT training for various reasons - none of them pertaining to any dislike of the fine art of French Foot Fencing.
I often read posts asking "can I use XYZ in MMA?", and it surprises me somewhat. If you train well for all of the "MMA-ish" contingencies while pursuing Savate, I'm sure you could benefit greatly from the work. If you take Muay Thai from some Thai Yoda but don't apply yourself, you'd be MUCH worse off. That said, I will try to address some of the "challenges" you might encounter while trying to adapt Savate technique to an MMA environment. Please understand I don't fight competitively, so hopefully some of the vets on this board can chime in if I mis-state something (but I DO train and spar with grappling techniques).
1) If you can't use shoes while fighting, you'll lose some of the effectiveness of some of the Savate kicks - especially the Fouette (roundhouse). Using the toe while kicking is a characteristic of Savate that shouldn't be downplayed - but the instep can be applied in its place (at a cost to power). That said, you can throw chasse' kicks (i.e., side stopping kicks, in a very simplified nutshell) all day with bare feet, and the chasse' is critical in Savate.
Also, though Savate DOES chamber almost all of the kicks, it's application of the hip turn/thrust is different from most other arts - or at least applied with more...zeal. The fouette is devastating if applied correctly, and can drive the toe of a shoe like a hammer.
2) The stance in Savate puts most of your weight on the rear foot much of the time (many fighters shift to a more distributed stance once in boxing range). It's also not as forward-facing as many NHB/MMA stances you'll see out there. That means you must train train train to use it effectively. Since Savate fighters are extemely mobile and literally "bounce" (so it appears) around when in kicking range, you probably won't want to forego the stance and footwork because that's one of its primary strengths. That said, against a decent takedown you will be vulnerable. So...train for those contingencies.
3) Again, you're going to get taken down. Though I believe a good Savateur should be able to score kicks if he manages his distance and timing expertly during(i.e., while avoiding) a shoot, I must stress the word expertly. Develop groundfighting skills and your takedown defence. I get taken down routinely. THat said, the chasse can be very usefull against a closing opponent - that's what it's supposed to do. And the light lead leg, which is used AGGRESSIVELY in Savate, is much more viable for keeping distance between combatants than in many other arts.
4) Savate (sport) doesn't use the shin for attack or defence. I would (i.e., HAVE) quickly adapt the shield block from MT for dealing with low kicks, should you fail to full/half escape them (which is easier to do when using a Savate approach to footwork).
5) Sharpen your boxing skills. Knockouts are knockouts. Use the hands.
6) Learn the MT kicks as well. Learn to use combinations that setup the lead leg on the lead punch (often a hook) to switch kick opponent if such power is necessary. Ditto for combos that facilitate lateral stepping to deliver the rear leg off of a cross/feint cross.
7) I don't advise riding a strong MT kick. Try it once, you'll agree I think.

I will think on this more. Alas, it is late...

Thanks for the advices volsung. I will definitely continue taking Savate. I am also currently taking wrestling so I am learning to have takedown defense. I am enjoying my savate class and
my teacher also practiced MT before he got into Savate.

SwiftMcvay said:
EVerytime I see somebody mention Savate the only thing I can think of is Gerard Gordeau from UFC 1, and when he kicked out that sumo wrestlers tooth. I've never understood why it isn't a more common style in todays MMA scene.

Gerard actually did Kyokushin Karate, they just fucked it up when they listed his style.

i do savate in jdk classes it's very effective if you are good at it. the only thing i have a problem with is the toe kicks you seem to injure your toes more often doing those. but that's why there's shoes.

savate.biz check it out. Ramon Dekkers lost to a Savateur named Francois Pinoccio. Great fight.

Savate does not get the love/respect it should.

(I was happy to see a savate thread, even if it is from 2006)

savate is pretty badass... though at first glance.. its looks lame... ill stick to TKD and muay thai for my standup

Maybe cos kicking an opponent while he is on the floor just isn't legal anymore. And those MC Hammer pants would have to go:icon_chee

savate.biz check it out. Ramon Dekkers lost to a Savateur named Francois Pinoccio. Great fight.

Dekkers also lost to a 17 year old Thai kid named Sakmongkol when he(Dekkers) was in his prime.

Dekkers lost to a lot of people. He was good, but never ranked highly.

There's a badass savate fighter living and teaching savate + international boxing in Bangkok right now. His name is Dominique Fontanarosa (not sure if that's spelled correctly). Amazing speed, power, technique I bet this guy was a beast when he use to fight. Even Ramazan Ramazanov has had private sessions with him. He can do 1 hour for a thousand baht I think it's definitely worth it

The gym I used to train at actually has a Muay Thai/Savate mix, where it takes the best techniques from both and makes its own martial arts called STX. Its pretty friggin sweet actually.

I've always respected the Savate footwork very much. They're so fast and it looks like it'd be hard to hit one of those guys. I also like how they do those crazy flying spinning back kicks and ACTUALLY land them, theres another highlight on youtube where a Savatuer does that very often.

If you remember Street Fighter 2, that guy with the claw Vega resembles a Savate fighter a lot in his stance and movements hahaha

Back