Savate rules?

Adnan Adil

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hello! First of all I want to apologize if there is same thread in the forum, but I couldn't find anything! I have never trained Savate, but my style of fighting is very close to this combat sport when sparring, because I am mainly outfighter who kicks a lot and most of this kicks are with the feet so I like Savate style of fighting. I was wondering can someone tell me what are the exact rules of Savate? Not long time ago I've watched an episode of "Fight Quest"for the French kickboxing and there I've heard twice that according to the rules you can't just punch. I've searched in internet and didn't find anything which explains good. As far as I know you can't throw more than two punches without kicking or backing up. Is this true? Does anyone knows the rules or practice Savate to explain? Thanks in advance!

Thanks, man! The site seems useful for the info which I am looking for, but... I've tried before and I've tried now and there is always an error 404 when trying to open or download the rules. Do you have the same problem?

I cant find a working link to the full rules but to answer your question, yes you can punch. I think I remember that in Assaut bouts you could only score with a couple of punches before having to throw a kick. I don't think it was illegal to punch more but the punches would not score.

Some further information below:

The basics:
  • Punches: pretty much the same as boxing
  • Kicking: Only contact allowed with the foot/boot (not the shin)

Two primary types of sport Savate:
  • Assaut = Controlled contact
  • Combat = Full contact

Some Savate kicks include (apologies for spelling!)
  • Fouette - Similar to a roundhouse
  • Revers - Similar to a crescent kick
  • Chasse - Kinda like a side kick
  • Coup de pied ba - low, ankle kick

The majority of the techniques can be delivered to low, middle and high targets
Kicks are typically delivered with different parts of the boot:
  • The point of the shoe
  • The heel
  • The sides (inside and outside edges)

Thanks, guys! Now I understand... This is for the Assault set of rules. Below is the link of that episode of "Fight quest" for which I was talking about.

On 12:40 and I can't find this time where is the other part of the clip where they've told that it is not allowed only to punch, but probably it is for the Assault.

As far as I can tell there is no restriction on punching in savate.

It is possible that you all are right, but... if you search in internet, you'll see other results. also it is strange for me how these guys stay sometimes so close to each other and they are not trading punches. In such situations the prefer backing up and stick to the kicks. When we spar and there are now knees, many people go to boxing mode especially the shorter guys. It is somehow not so naturally to prefer kicks even on close range. Most of the guys with who I spar are also great kickers, but they are turning in boxers when they have the opportunity in close range.

I think, it's Because you can't check/protect kick from opponent. You have to let him land his kick on your leg.

Hello! First of all I want to apologize if there is same thread in the forum, but I couldn't find anything! I have never trained Savate, but my style of fighting is very close to this combat sport when sparring, because I am mainly outfighter who kicks a lot and most of this kicks are with the feet so I like Savate style of fighting. I was wondering can someone tell me what are the exact rules of Savate? Not long time ago I've watched an episode of "Fight Quest"for the French kickboxing and there I've heard twice that according to the rules you can't just punch. I've searched in internet and didn't find anything which explains good. As far as I know you can't throw more than two punches without kicking or backing up. Is this true? Does anyone knows the rules or practice Savate to explain? Thanks in advance!

I think, it's Because you can't check/protect kick from opponent. You have to let him land his kick on your leg.
Yep, this is also one of the things which are different from the kickboxing. I personally have strong legs and many times I allow my opponents to land leg kicks (when they are not hard and on amateur level they are not hard usually)... for fun. :)

Last edited:
It is possible that you all are right, but... if you search in internet, you'll see other results. also it is strange for me how these guys stay sometimes so close to each other and they are not trading punches. In such situations the prefer backing up and stick to the kicks. When we spar and there are now knees, many people go to boxing mode especially the shorter guys. It is somehow not so naturally to prefer kicks even on close range. Most of the guys with who I spar are also great kickers, but they are turning in boxers when they have the opportunity in close range.
Any video examples?

I love it. Reminds me of Muay Thai blended w/ quadrille dancing.

Back