Sao Paulo pass defense

Bubblun

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Getting an overhook is my favourite control to launch attacks from the closed guard, but there is a guy in my gym that exposed a big hole in my game, he basically use the underhook (my overhook) and his head under my chin/jaw to Sao Paulo pass the shit out of me.
I can't stop him and can't keep my guard closed.

Now, i saw this video and this counter works...

... but it resort into bailing the overhook and reset from an open guard position.

Now, the question is, there is a Sao Paulo style pass defense or counter that doesn't involve into losing the overhook?

And another question... i usually thought that the overhook from closed guard was an extremely good control and put the guy on top in danger, but this guy changed my point of view.
Basically where is the line that once crossed make my overhook a tool for my opponent to pass instead a tool for me to attack with triangles or omoplatas?

See folks, i've been tellin you bout that tozi.

As for making his life more difficult, have you considered williams guard?

Last edited:
Now, the question is, there is a Sao Paulo style pass defense or counter that doesn't involve into losing the overhook?

As you realized, the underhook on the non-passing side is key for this pass to work. So, by opting for the overhook you are effectively doing a part of the work for him.
With that being said, I'd say overhook deep and elevate his underhook. When he underhooks high (and/or when his arm is not tight against your body) that's when he's in most danger of getting omoplata'd because he can't block your hip on that side.

If he leaves his non-hunderooking arm dangling when he goes to uncross your feet, you can hook it with your far leg across his back and work toward a back take. However, typically he will eventually adjust and leave no space.

And another question... i usually thought that the overhook from closed guard was an extremely good control and put the guy on top in danger, but this guy changed my point of view.

Don't be surprised, any technique has a counter.

Basically where is the line that once crossed make my overhook a tool for my opponent to pass instead a tool for me to attack with triangles or omoplatas?
For the omoplata see above. For the triangle I'd say when he doesn't pin down your bottom hip and thigh with conviction, which he'll do if he's any good at this pass. When he goes to uncross, you beat him (or force it via wrist control) and shoot the leg above the arm and head. Again, it's not gonna work if he's applying effective pressure.

Thank you for the reply guys, very helpful.

There is a way to stop the guy on top when i feel he is going to walk his hips on the side and turn? (like at 20 seconds in the video above)
I feel like my spine is twisted and it's all over at that point, i can't be offensive anymore from that position.

Back